Temperature HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djelemenohpee

Reaction score
I just brewed my FIRST beer yesterday. all seemed to go well besides a near disasterous boil over. I left my 5 gallons if Irish Red Ale in a closet wrapped in a blanket with a space heater that can keep it around 65 degrees. I am told that ales need to be kept between 60-70 degrees. When i went to bed last night at 10:30pm the temp on the carboy was 72 with no bubbles. now its 8am and the bubbles are coming along nicely but i noticed that the temperature is up to 78 degrees. Is this bad? im pretty worried. do i need to figure out how to cool it or is it ok to leave it the way it is or is it already ruined?
PLEASE HELP

Not ruined, you may pick up some esters because of the high temp, but not ruined. You and make a swamp cooler and drop you temp.

Turn off that heater. Target fermentation temp depends on your yeast that you pitched- check the instructions. I'm guessing that 78 is way to high for whatever you pitched unless you are going for a Belgian red ale (kidding). Anyway to lower temp quickly you can use a water bath or a wet t-shirt wrapped around the carboy with a fan for some evaporation cooling. 78 with an english ale yeast is going to throw some esters so you are going to want to get that temp down.

how bad can this get? what exactly are esters? i will try the shirt thing now.
the heater is not on. it only comes on when the temp in the closet drops below 65 degrees.

Keep in mind (if you viewed the temp on the gauge taped to the side of the carboy) that actual fermentation temp. occurs at 3-6 degrees higher. So 72 would be more like mid to high 70s, and 78 would be more like early to mid 80s.

You'll be fine man. My Grandpa ferments at 90 and 100. It's not ideal, but it will still be beer. Probably good beer too. I ferment at 75 all the time, and haven't tasted any off flavors. It'll be better than the crap you buy at the store!

The swamp cooler method works well for me... I agree that the flavors you get may not be what you are looking for with a hot fermentation, but after about 2 months in the bottles any off flavors that were produced should have mellowed or gone.

How long should i primary for with the temp the way it is? i was planning on doing a secondary too. Should i still do two months in bottles?
and
what are esters?

Esters are what a yeast produces when they are stressed by temps or other things. Unless you are adding fruit or something along those lines, a secondary isn't needed. I usually primary for 2-3 weeks, then right to bottles to carb and condition. You can always check a bottle a week to see how things are coming along. If you get the temps down now, you may not experience much if any off flavors. If you do, time will make it better.

How long should i primary for with the temp the way it is? i was planning on doing a secondary too. Should i still do two months in bottles?
and
what are esters?

From John Palmers book (How to Brew)that I would suggest you check out.

Chapter 8.1.3 - Temperature Factors
8.1.3 Temperature Factors

The third factor for a good fermentation is temperature. Yeast are greatly affected by temperature; too cold and they go dormant, too hot (more than 10°F above the nominal range) and they indulge in an orgy of fermentation that often cannot be cleaned up by conditioning. High temperatures encourage the production of fusel alcohols - heavier alcohols that can have harsh solvent-like flavors. Many of these fusels esterify during secondary fermentation, but in large amounts these esters can dominate the beer's flavor. Excessively banana-tasting beers are one example of high esters due to high temperature fermentation.

High temperatures can also lead to excessive levels of diacetyl. A common mistake that homebrewers make is pitching the yeast when the wort has not been chilled enough, and is still relatively warm. If the wort is, e.g. 90¡F, when the yeast is pitched and slowly cools to room temperature during primary fermentation, more diacetyl will be produced in the early stages than the yeast can reabsorb during the secondary stage. Furthermore, primary fermentation is an exothermic process. The internal temperature of the fermentor can be as much as 10F above ambient conditions, just due to yeast activity. This is one good reason to keep the fermentor in the proper temperature range; so that with a normal vigorous fermentation, the beer turns out as intended, even if it was warmer than the surroundings.

Brewing in the summertime is a definite problem if you don't have a way to keep the fermentor cool. My friend Scott showed me a neat trick though, he would immerse (not completely) his fermentors in a spare bathtup during the summer. The water in the tub was slow to warm during the day even though temperatures would be in the 90's, and at night the water would be slow to cool, even when the temperature dropped to 45 F. In this way he was able to moderate his fermentation temperature between 60-70 F, and the beer turned out great. I have used this method myself with wash tubs and had great success.
Previous Page Next Page

I just brewed my FIRST beer yesterday. all seemed to go well besides a near disasterous boil over. I left my 5 gallons if Irish Red Ale in a closet wrapped in a blanket with a space heater that can keep it around 65 degrees. I am told that ales need to be kept between 60-70 degrees. When i went to bed last night at 10:30pm the temp on the carboy was 72 with no bubbles. now its 8am and the bubbles are coming along nicely but i noticed that the temperature is up to 78 degrees. Is this bad? im pretty worried. do i need to figure out how to cool it or is it ok to leave it the way it is or is it already ruined?
PLEASE HELP

I just did the Irish Red Ale as my first beer too, I did the same thing too, let it get too hot (83 deg), go to walmart and get one of the round tubs (rope handle tub 21.5in dia, 16.5in high), its like $5 to $6 put 7 to 8 gal of cold dap water in it and your fermenting bucket in it, then regulate the water temp with frozen plastic bottles filled with water, (i use 32 oz gator-aid bottles) your wort temp will be about 2 degrees warmer than the water temp, 1 frozen 32oz bottle will drop your water temp 3 to 5 deg.

This is what people here told me to do, and it works great!
I would suggest you do this as soon as you can!

As far as the Esters go, they can make your beer taste (smell) like a :ban:, sweet and or off flavors, Mine after a week tasted like sh*t, after 2 weeks in primary fermenter taste as good as any store bought beer, (i left it in primary an extra week to let yeasties clean up the esters better) moved it to secondary, going to bottle after 12 to 14 days (once again letting yeasties fix my mistakes)
As others here told me, time fixes most things and makes your beer better.

Good luck
I hope this helps

WileECoyote :mug:

My first batch was an Irish red and it fermented in the mid 70's (for ambient temp) and it had some strong rubbing alcohol taste that was very unpleasant. After 6 weeks in the bottle the alcohol taste went away and it was a fantastic beer. Everyone I gave it to loved it.

Don't stress about it, just give it some extra time in the bottles. :mug:

Back