Temperature after fermentation on NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newbie question here. Brewing a NEIPA. After full fermentation, whats the recommended temperature during the dry hopping process?

Usually keep it at same temp as fermentation, until the x number of days you want to dry hop, then cold crash to drop the hops out.

Also, while not required, a key component of a NEIPA is dry hopping early in fermentation, i.e. at high krausen add the first dry hop addition, then several days later the rest of the dry hops. This is called biotransformation. A lot of NEIPA brewers do this step, however Brulosophy did a test and found people could not tell the difference from a NEIPA with dry hops added during fermentation or dry hops added after. http://brulosophy.com/2017/01/23/biotransformation-vs-standard-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

It seems most prefer to DH in the 60’s, or even high 50’s.

I’m still confused on why people are advising to DH at high Krausen. I’ve yet to find any major brewery that dry hops any earlier than the tail end of fermentation.

Google "hop compound biotransformation".

fwiw, aside from "bio-hopping" I almost always dry-hop at 67-68°F for any style. I'd think the cooler the longer it takes to extract what the hops have to offer...

Cheers!

Yeah don’t dry hop at high krausen... it’s absolutely not key for this style and has the potential to do more harm than good.

Dry hop temps are all over the place. And it depends on a lot of variables. High 50s to high 60s.. poll 50 of the best hoppy brewers in the world and you’d probably get 25 different answers in regards to temp and exact process. Take good notes and experiment on your setup to see aht works best for you and your beer.

Back