Tempature throughout fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epond83

Reaction score
I have brewed two batches of cider so far, so I still have a lot to learn.
I set up a tempature controlled fermentation fridge and I'm wondering about tempature throughout fermentation.

My first thought was to be on the high end of the recommended temperature range to get the yeast going faster until active fermentation starts (lots of bubbling). Then drop down to the lower end to not stress the yeast.

But now I've seen something that says start at the low end and slowly work towards the high end as fermentation finishes.

Just wondering what you all thought and or what resources I could read on the subject.

Thanks!

It’s going to be more so yeast dependent but I’d favor starting it low to mid then bringing up, rather than the opposite.

Warming as fermentation goes tends to encourage yeast to stick with it, finish strong and clean up.

Anecdotally, the last two times I’ve used Nottingham (for beer), I was lazy with temp control. It dropped a few degrees mid to late fermentation and the yeast just tanked. Sure, it could have been several other factors but I suspect it was the 3 or 4 degree temp drop.

Thanks for the input, I forgot to mention I'm using Wyeast 4766.

I have a wifi inkbird so I think I can set it up to raise the temperature by date ahead of time. So I don't have to remember it throughout the process.

Back