Tempature calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropicpine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am nearing the end of a loooong process of putting together an electric brewing system that among many other benefits allows for pretty precise temperature control. To calibrate the tempature probes I have found 3 thermometers (out of about 8 that cover that range) around the house that agree pretty closely as to what 100°c is and synced the probes to that reading.

My question is what is a good standard for temperature calibration?

My current thought is to invest in a lab grade thermometer.

How accurate do you really need it? Seems like you maybe sort of already have your references.

As you probably know it's usually cal hot with boiling water (mind your elevation, which changes that), and cal cold with ice water. 9 times out of 10 it's close enough.

How accurate do you really need it? Seems like you maybe sort of already have your references.

As you probably know it's usually cal hot with boiling water (mind your elevation, which changes that), and cal cold with ice water. 9 times out of 10 it's close enough.
I am aspiring to +/- 2 (or, if possible, 1)°c.

One reason is that the pressure drop at the vortex of the centrifugal pump will cause the wert to boil in the pump head if the batch gets too hot, which will cause the pump to loosethe ability to move fluid. I have implemented a physical solution to allow the wert temp to exceed boiling, but only slightly.

Another reason for this effort is more precise hop oil extraction, but that is to come later.

Yet another possible reason (included at the insistance of a very understanding spouse) is that I am simply a looney.

Last edited:
What kind of temperature sensors are you using and how do you plan to calibrate them if/when you have the ability to do so?
If you are handy with electronics and single board computers, you can find a few different silicon temperature sensors that have a accuracy of

Sorry for the finger glitch before finishing my post.
Take a look at the MAX31889. Accuracy is 0.25 C from -20C to 105 C and is I2C based. Or MAX31888 that has the same accuracy but uses the one wire protocol.
You wont need to calibrate a silicon based temperature sensor.

I'm another Thermoworks Thermapen user.
I use Thermowoks products for all things temperature related in my house.

do you know anybody who works in any sort of laboratory - they will have a master calibration thermometer, just put yours next to it for 0 20 40 60 80 100

In addition to the Thermapen mentioned above, most of my software has a single point temperature adjustment. So rather than trying to calibrate to boiling water or freezing water, I heat some water to the temperature zone I'll use the sensor in most, and get the calibration/adjustment there.

Mash tun temperature probes I use water around 150F. Fermentors/Tilts I target around 60F.

I just get the water to that temperature, get it stirred well, then place my Thermapen physically touching the sensor I'm calibrating.

A calibrated sensor is going to be most accurate near the point you calibrate it.

Back