Temp, Time, and Campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought 5 gallons of freshly pressed, refridgorated cider that was UV treated, but no preservatives added. The cider stood out of the fridge for about 35 minutes before I added the campden tablets. I added acid blend, pectin enzymes, and finally, Red Star Champagne yeast.

My questions surrounding the amount of time between the campden tablets and the yeast. Does it matter how close together they are added? Also, is the fact that my cider was still moderately cold change the fermentation period after I pitched the yeast?

Basically, I'm a noob, and just want assurance that my campden tablets either did/didn't kill the yeast that I actually wanted to do the fermentation.

Thanks!

You dont need to add campden if the cider was UV treated. Did you wait 24 hours after adding the campden until pitching the yeast?

No, I didn't. Let me guess....the campden I added killed the yeast I also added and since it was uv treated and contains no wild yeasts I basically now have just a big bucket of apple cider?

No, I didn't. Let me guess....the campden I added killed the yeast I also added and since it was uv treated and contains no wild yeasts I basically now have just a big bucket of apple cider?

Yeah, that would be my guess. Wine yeast is pretty tolerant of sulfites, but it's good to wait 24 hours after adding campden before adding the yeast.

Usually you add the campden, wait 12 hours, then add the pectic enzyme, wait 12 hours, then add the yeast. (Pectic enzyme doesn't like campden OR yeast, but 12 hours is enough time between the additions).

Since the yeast is pretty tolerant of sulfites, it might start eventually, but if you can get another package of yeast tomorrow, that would be best. (And buy three of them- then you always have a back up in the fridge. They last for years).

I added k-meta to my first ciders before pitching. Did NOT wait 24 hours; pitched immediately. Fermented vigorously despite.

(One of them smells like sulphur due to the k-meta, but that's another story. Just wanted to lend a not-discouraging word to the thread.)

Back