Sodium Metabisulfite for sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blobbio

Reaction score
So since its summer where i live i wanted to make a cider from pineapple juice and the only way to get said juice would be for me to process it myself, however im a bit worried about the natural yeasties and bacteria on the pineapples. I remember City Steading Brews using campden tablets which is also sodium metabisulfite for sterilizing their brews that used whole fruit. It is extremely expensive to get campden tablets due to the price of shipping and was wondering if i could just use some sodium metabisulfite for sterilization, wait a few days and then add my yeast and ferment (just as City Steading Brews did).
I'm thankful for any help i can get!

1. You don't want sterilization, you want pasteurization.
2. You probably don't want to cook the pineapple but you can pasteurize at lower temperature than boiling. If you have a way to heat the juice and an accurate thermometer, heat to 160F and hold it for at least 10 seconds before cooling.

1. You don't want sterilization, you want pasteurization.
2. You probably don't want to cook the pineapple but you can pasteurize at lower temperature than boiling. If you have a way to heat the juice and an accurate thermometer, heat to 160F and hold it for at least 10 seconds before cooling.
Thanks for telling me!

heat to 160F and hold it for at least 10 seconds before cooling.
Heating may change the flavor, though, and not in a positive way.
It takes a relatively long time for a gallon of juice to get to 160F. Then it takes time again to get it down below 120-100F.

Industrial heat pasteurization can be OK though, it's a different process, but you can usually still taste the difference compared to non-heat pasteurization.

Unless you're allergic to sulfites, using sulfites are the best way to make wine, not heating. It's industry standard.

And don't use Campden tablets they're hard as a rock, need to be pulverized before use, and contain 25-50% binder products. Just use K-Meta (Potassium MetaBisulfite) or Na-Meta (Sodium MetaBisulfite) powder. Your LHBS should have it in pound bags.
I prefer to use (Potassium) K-Meta as it's flavor is more neutral, although at the levels we use it neither is an issue.

So, read up on how to use sulfites to stall the growth of bacteria and wild yeasts in your macerated fruit, and not the yeast you're pitching.
And always use good sanitation.

and was wondering if i could just use some sodium metabisulfite for sterilization
For pasteurization, yes! See my reply above.^
Sodium Sulfite Sodium MetaBisulfite is totally fine to use, and the powder is way easier to use than the stupid tablets. Just keep the powder dry, in a well sealed jar.

Last edited:
Back