Temp control: stalled fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzygone

Reaction score
I’ve been fermenting under pressure for a bit now: but my last fermentation didn’t go perfectly: lots of fluctuation in temperature.

This last brew I decided to convert my spare freezer into a fermentation chamber: so now I’m under pressure and controlling temperature.

However, I can’t tell if my fermentation is stuck: According to my Tilt (which I failed to calibrate this time around....): my OG was 1.048 when I pitched the yeast on 12/11. As of this morning, 12/17, I’ve been at 1.013 where it’s been for the last 2.5 days.

Now, as a preface; this was a quick brew of a PicoPak: so I didn’t even bother using my hydrometer (didn’t want to waste what little beer I have!). It didn’t mention anything about the OG or FG, so I’m flying by the seat of my pants here. I used S-04 and pitched about 1/3 packet. I had my temp set at 66*

Without knowing a FG, or without even having an actual OG to go by: can I crank up the temp to see if things move along? Or do I just assume it’s done at this point?

You can ramp up temp and see if anything happens...from your description it sounds like it's done though.

I’ll give it a try: does a stalled fermentation typically happen towards the middle of the process, not the end?

73% attenuation is about right for S-04. What was your mash temperature?

As Sammy said, bumping up your temp ~4-5°F won't hurt.

Good question on the mash: it’s all automated (picopak) but so far as I can tell it was a 3 stage mash based on the log sheet: 148, 156 and a mash out of 178.

I’m reading from second hand that OG should have been 10 points higher than what my tilt showed: but FG should be right where I am (but again my tilt isn’t calibrated right now so....).

I just thought I’d have some more to go, but I suppose it’s ready. I’ll bump it up to around 72 and see what happens. I supposed at this stage any off flavors wouldn’t be an issue by increasing temp this late in the game.

I’ll give it a try: does a stalled fermentation typically happen towards the middle of the process, not the end?

I'm not an expert on yeast by any means but stalled ferm can happen middle or end...remember the yeast are a living organism sometimes stuff happens!

Back