Temp control for keezer/fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are several different models for use on keezers. There are analog and digital units. Is there one that is clearly the best?

Don't know.

I went with the Ranco, because the unit can be mounted outside with just the temp probe inside. I so have an analog that has to be mounted inside, but I decided I would just add that one to a frig and use as a lager fridge.

Digital leaves you with more control and more features, but costs more.

Analog is less accurate, but costs less. How accurate do you need temp, it's beer. Anything within a few degrees, you won't notice.

To me the Ranco ETC-11000 is a good choice. They are reasonably priced if you wire them yourself. I have had no issues so far with the two I own.

I converted a chest freezer with a collar... I used the Love because I wanted a finished, "built-in" look, and it was relatively easy to install with the way I fashioned the collar.

To me the Ranco ETC-11000 is a good choice. They are reasonably priced if you wire them yourself. I have had no issues so far with the two I own.

That's what I went with also. Got a great deal on eBay, should have purchased more! Was easy to wire myself.

I have 2 Rancos. $65 on morebeer.com with free shipping, if you wire it yourself, which is easy. I'd wire in a 3 prong power strip with a nice long cord. I bought a couple of those at Walmart for $6 each. They have some that are a lot cheaper, but I liked the 8 foot cord. I left about a foot and a half attached to the strip receptacle and the other 6.5' on the plug side.

It's really personal preference or what you can find the best deal on. There really is no "best". I like the better control with the digital ones and am currently using a Ranco ETC-211000 2 stage controller to both heat and cool in the fridge I use to ferment. I may try out a love controller sometime in the future when I have more room for another fridge or freezer.

The two stage allows the option to chose between heating and cooling modes.

BTW, best place to find RANCO's is on E-bay, usually just over $50 including shipping. I'll find the link for the place I ordered mine later today if you are interested.

Edit: I think the post below is correct and my response is a bit off. I can chose either heating or cooling, but not both at the same time.

What's the difference between a one-stage and a two-stage controller?

The Ranco ETC-211000 is identical to the Ranco ETC-111000 except that this unit is 2 stage, and has 2 relays to control both heating and cooling at the same time or two heating or cooling stages. (The output relay NC and NO ratings are also different than the single stage control).

from The Ranco ETC Store

If it's indoors and used just to keep beer cold then you wouldn't. A single stage is perfect.

I have a 2 stage on my fermentation fridge that is out in the garage, so I need to be able to keep it warm in the winter. During the spring around here the temp changes wildly from one day to the next so it's nice to have one controller that can switch from heat to cool with out me having to do anything other than set it.

Yeah, 2 stage is more for fermentation temps.

It is of note that you can do both heating and cooling with a single stage controller, but you can only do one at a time. Inside the single stage controller, there is a switch when you can toggle it one or the other. The two stage controllers can do both at the same time.

It's like those old thermostats for your house versus the newer programmable ones.

Back