Tell me all about oaking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanchy

Reaction score
So, I've got five gallons of apfelwein that I was thinking about oaking- how do I go about this? Adjunct sugars are mix of caramelized and un-caramelized honey, and I don't want to overpower the flavors from those... I've got a 3oz bag of medium toast American. How would I prepare the cubes, and how long should I keep them in?

Graham

Boil them in just enough water to cover them. Pitch the whole lot, water and all. Taste test it once a week until it gets close, then taste it once a day. When it's right rack off of the oak.

Boil them in just enough water to cover them. Pitch the whole lot, water and all. Taste test it once a week until it gets close, then taste it once a day. When it's right rack off of the oak.

not arguing just asking... I thought the boiling was to remove some of the tannins from the oak? Wouldn't tossing in water and all defeat the purpose?

I think the flavor of the apfelwein is too light to toss the water in as well. I would boil them in water for a while then dump the water and add the oak in.

Or you can soak them in some booze (applejack or apple brandy would work) before tossing them in. Otherwise I will sometimes just throw them in without doing anything and I haven't had any problems in the half dozen or so batches I've done it with. I usually happen to be adding some sulfite at the same time for antioxidant purposes, though.

I've previously just dumped them in too, haven't had an issue yet. With apfelwine the high alcohol % should help keep any nasty-ness from getting in.

Boiling, soaking in star san or soaking in booze, wouldn't be a bad idea either.

How old is this apfelwine? If you're planning to let it age for a long time, the oak will mellow. Some suggest oaking it just to the point where it's a little too much, then aging it. Also it depends on how much you use & what form they're in (cubes, chips, spirals, etc.). If you're using an entire 3oz package in 5 gallons, I would think a month or two should be enough, unless you want a very strong oaky flavor. I'm guessing in something like apfelwine though, you'd want it to be subtle.

Sounds good! I put some pretty strong black tea in the must as well, so I think I'll pass on pitching the water in. The apfel needs another month of bulk aging, but I'll post on how it turns out.

Edit- commonsenseman; it's about a month old. I usually age for about two months before bottling. However, the bottles are probably going to stick around for a while.

Back