Tell me about those CLOYING beers you have tried.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIce

Reaction score
My only request is that we use the word "cloying" enough to purge it from our everyday vocabulary when it comes to describing beer.:ban:

For me it was Franconia's Eisbock at Big Texas Beer Fest. At 22% ABV and dead flat when I got my sample, it was a sticky, cloying mess of a beer.

For me it was a Dogfish beer. I forget which as I have tried several and did not care for them for one reason or another.

For me it was a Dogfish beer. I forget which as I have tried several and did not care for them for one reason or another.
I'm going to guess that it was Raison D'Etre. I bought a 6 a few years ago and immediately regretted it upon tasting. Waaaaay too sweet.

The one that I have bottle carbing right now. First problem was that I mashed too high, so the OG was crazy low towards the end of the boil. So i threw a bunch of DME and priming sugar in it to try to raise the OG. Then I tried a sample a couple weeks later, and it had zero residual sweetness. So THEN I had a crazy idea to add in some liquid nutrasweet. Bottom line - it was way too much nutrasweet.

I'm going to guess that it was Raison D'Etre. I bought a 6 a few years ago and immediately regretted it upon tasting. Waaaaay too sweet.

I suspect you may be right. I have tried every one I could get my hands on based on hype alone and none of them appeal to me aside from the Palo Santo Marron, but even it I thought, could have been executed better.

So, OP what exactly is your issue with the descriptor. It is a fairly straight forward descriptor of a enormously subjective experience. Perhaps you are more tolerant of imbalances favoring the sweet side than most. I favor neutral, phenolic, and hop forward options.

Cloying - disgust or sicken (someone) with an excess of sweetness, richness, or sentiment.

Hmm. Let's see...

Yuengling. People are waaaaay too sentimental about that beer.

I don't care if you find something overly sweet or rich, by the way. Beer taste is subjective and threads about beer tastes are navel-gazing monotony.

"Oh I think this beer is cloyingly sweet!"
"Oh, I like that beer! But I think this other beer is cloyingly sweet!"
"But what about this other beer? Don't you think it's cloyingly sweet as well?"
"Oh yes!"

Who cares.

So, OP what exactly is your issue with the descriptor. It is a fairly straight forward descriptor of a enormously subjective experience. Perhaps you are more tolerant of imbalances favoring the sweet side than most. I favor neutral, phenolic, and hop forward options.

I suppose my issue is just as subjective as the use of the word, it seems like hyperbole to me.

I've used the term to describe Brewdog's Tokyo in several threads over the past 3 years and I will continue to do so. If my posts prevent someone from buying that awful mess (particularly since it sells for over $20 in EU) then I count that as a victory. There is simply no better way to convey the sickeningly sweet rubbing alcohol flavor of that beer.

Cloying - disgust or sicken (someone) with an excess of sweetness, richness, or sentiment.

Hmm. Let's see...

Yuengling. People are waaaaay too sentimental about that beer.

I don't care if you find something overly sweet or rich, by the way. Beer taste is subjective and threads about beer tastes are navel-gazing monotony.

"Oh I think this beer is cloyingly sweet!"
"Oh, I like that beer! But I think this other beer is cloyingly sweet!"
"But what about this other beer? Don't you think it's cloyingly sweet as well?"
"Oh yes!"

Who cares.

And yet here we both are, reading and posting. Mine has some lint, how's yours? :tank:

Anderson Valley Winter Solstice. Buddy of mine convinced me to try a pint of it back in December. He loves it. Me...not so much. Far too malty/sweet for me.

SN Bigfoot. Especially the time I drank a bottle right after not having any alcohol for almost 2 months. (I still like it occasionally, even tho' it's pretty syrupy)

it's pretty syrupy

I think z-bob has the answer to this problem. Cloying? Knock it off, you pompous pretentious ass. Just say sweet. Or, if particularly disgusting, "syrupy."

OP MattyIce, hope this helps with your goal. :)

Omfg I can't agree more. I can't frikkin stand the word "cloying" or any of its variations.
The sooner it goes away the better.

Now, for beers that are syrupy or overly sweet, I don't care for the Duchesse de Bourgogne. The sour cut it a little, but still too sugary.

Omfg I can't agree more. I can't frikkin stand the word "cloying" or any of its variations.
The sooner it goes away the better.

Now, for beers that are syrupy or overly sweet, I don't care for the Duchesse de Bourgogne. The sour cut it a little, but still too sugary.

I greatly dislike the word "frikken," but I wouldn't presume to insist that everyone stop using it.

it sells for over $20 in EU

Izzat 20 euros or $20 en los Estados Unidos?

The smell of native bush that grows in my neighborhood nearly gags me when in bloom (as in today). "Cloying" comes to mind to describe the aroma. The Sam Adams Double Bock I couldn't finish was nasty (IMO) & syrupy but cloying didn't come to mind.

I would suggest since so many of you seem to dislike using the proper word to describe something we should start communicating using only grunts and hand signals.

Ugh. Ugh. 👎🙉👏. Ugh.✌

I would suggest since so many of you seem to dislike using the proper word to describe something we should start communicating using only grunts and hand signals.

Ugh. Ugh. 👎🙉👏. Ugh.✌

Forget the hand signals...grunting has always worked for me!:drunk:

It pains me to say this, but the last time I had Ayinger Oktoberfest, it was too rich and sweet. You're supposed to be able to drink liters of the stuff. I can barely drink 12oz. I love German beers, they're my favorite beers, but this one is too rich and sweet. It was on draft too, so it was moderately "fresh".

Ugh. Ugh. 👎🙉👏. Ugh.✌
It's the over use in regards to damn near every beer on the market. Matt Lauer can suck it.

Atwater - PoorBoy, it smells and tastes like fish. Very hard to get past, drank a couple of them and had others taste them at the same time without offering any up front opinion on them and we all came to the same conclusion every time. Disgusting.

Creme Brûlée (Imperial Milk Stout) - Nasty stuff. Way too sweet with an astringent bite and burnt sugar aftertaste. Just nasty.

While I agree that it is way to sweet, much like drinking your dessert, it wasn't all that bad. My wife and her girlfriends love it.

Anderson Valley Winter Solstice. Buddy of mine convinced me to try a pint of it back in December. He loves it. Me...not so much. Far too malty/sweet for me.

I made a clone of that for a Christmas party last year under advisement from my brew partners. I've never had the real thing, but someone who had told me my clone was close. I tend to agree with you though, it was very unbalanced with the malty sweetness that it tasted like cream soda. I used less than half the recommended amount of vanilla and that was almost too much (to be fair, I was using the legit Mexican vanilla, not some immitation flavor). Getting through the end of that keg after the party was pretty tough.

There was a Saranac 12-pack with four styles (stout, ipa, pale, pils) and they all had this consistent mucky sweetness to them.

Duck Rabbit's Baltic Porter is syrup. Sad because it seems like a good malt bill back there somewhere.

Dogfish 90 and Blue Moon. Never liked the former, used to like the latter but now can't stand it.

Coriander....blech..

Aside from that I simply don't like malt forward beers. I like balance, or more hop forward.

A local brewery's 15% barley wine. I'm not sure if their yeast crapped out or what. Cloying syrup that was too sweet for me.

Oh and a different local Old World's Irish red. They're out of business now, so I'll mention them.

Had a Payette Outlaw IPA last night. Tasted like burnt sugar.

Kinda sad because their Rodeo Rye is pretty damn tasty.

Izzat 20 euros or $20 en los Estados Unidos?

I don't recall. In some previous thread someone was lamenting how much they had paid for a terrible beer. I paid considerably less than that in SoCal, but apparently there's some sort of high ABV tax in the UK.

Back