Anyone familiar with Latvian/Eastern Europe strong beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaaZeus

Reaction score
In my previous job I had a friend from Latvia who visited his home constantly and brought me their local beers as gifts all the time. Not only did the 1 and 2 liter PET beer bottles become handy for my own homebrews their original content also kinda made me a fan. Miezitis Stripais and Muizas brands being my favourites. But now that I have changed jobs and about to move into another city, I find myself missing these treats and it is quite hard to find information about them in language that I can understand.

To describe them how they taste in single word, deceptive. Not much bittering hops, mild carbonation (no fear of bloating if drank straight from the bottle) quite malty but not cloyingly sweet and considering their strength (7.5%-8.5% ABV) there is next to no alcohol kick even when they are warm, which is something I definetly cannot say from our Finnish macrobrewer Dopperbocks and strong lagers which tend to be decent when ice cold but become horribly boozy when warm. These Latvian equivalents are so inoffensive that my mom, who hates strong beers, drank them when I gifted my dad a few bottles. She did not even realise that she was drinking super strong stuff that can sweep her legs off if not careful and my dad did not say a thing either, just watched what was about to happen with a devious smile. :D

I am looking for information what style these beers fall into and how to brew something similar, inoffensive tasting yet backstabs you with a mule kick. I do realize that these beers MAY have of a "bum fuel" reputation, they are after all cheap and sold in big PET bottles, so they are probably not favored in communities where IPA's and such hop bombs are all the craze. But I am a fan.

I don't know, but I am curious. I remember drinking a strong Polish beer that I think was similar. I am also part Lithuanian, so Baltic culture gets my attention.

436655cd7339a97372.jpg

One of my favorites. Tastes like licqorice and sage but it id actually spiced with yarrow. Strong stuff, AFAIK located in Riga.

I don't know, but I am curious. I remember drinking a strong Polish beer that I think was similar. I am also part Lithuanian, so Baltic culture gets my attention.

I figure these kind of beers are popular in many of old Soviet countries, maybe in Russia itself too.

Been doing that a couple years, never had a problem because of it. Sanitized bottles sanitized caps don't touch the inside of the cap, doesn't take that long to draw 15-18 liters into bottles plus less mess cause the bottling wands are never tight enough to completely seal.

After a lot of googling the style of beer that I am after is simply Imperial Pilsner, or Strong Lager. Now I lack the means to do a proper lager but I may be able to cheat with Saflager W34/70 yeast.

I just came up with this recipe from my head to try something out.

23 liter batch
6,5kg of 2-Row pale ale malt
500 grams of Vienna
1kg table sugar to thin the body
42 grams of Hallertau (or similar noble hop) @ 60 minutes
21 grams of Hallertau @ 10 min
21 grams of Hallertau @ Flameout

Roughly 8% depending on my efficiency and about 23 IBUs so not a lot of hop. How does this sound? What I should add or change?

Latest posts

Back