tattoos & tipping tattoo artists

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty73741

Reaction score
i'm getting a new tattoo. I'm having a arguement with a couple of friends. I dont tip my tattoo artist. She is the owner of the shop & I dont feel that she should be tipped. I also feel that if a shop is set up that all the artist are paying a fee for a booth & get 100% of the cost of a tattoo then I should have to tip.

I tipped my artist. Granted he didn't own the shop but I see a tip as appreciation for nice work, not something to offset the booth costs.

Unless someone goes out of their way to give you great service then I don't believe that they deserve a tip. My .02.

I always tip the ladies who cut my hair. Even so, none of them has straddled me during the appointment. Maybe next time.

I don't care for body ink, so I guess I don't have anything to add here.

Unless someone goes out of their way to give you great service then I don't believe that they deserve a tip. My .02.
Pink2.jpg

I tip waitresses and waiters because I have /had friends in that position. At the same time I 100% agree with someone if they don't want to tip a waiter or waitress because they don't feel they stepped up above normal job duties. That is what a Tip is for. Going above and beyond.
I tip my barber. I would not think to tip a tatoo artist. But if I got addicted and went and got several from him or even planned on another one, throwing a Tip to a guy responsible for a permanent marking on your body is maybe not such a bad idea for future visits. Ask around to other people in shops and get a feel for what the norm is.
I don't have tatoos, but I didn't Tip the guys there when they pushed needles through my ears either.

So you don't tip at restaurants either?

I tip at resturants where a server checks up on you and all. If a server essentially does the same thing as a drive-thru (hand you your order and never comes back) then they've done nothing of merit. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying that after working in the food industry I know that people deserve to be tipped for going the extra mile because it's hard to do that all day long. I'm not tipping someone who does the bare minimum. There's no action to be rewarded there, only basic action that is expected.

If I picked out a tattoo from a lineup and said put this on me and the artist did that I wouldn't necessarily tip. If the artist started suggesting colors, talking it over, placement, possibly alternative designs, all of these things that he doesn't have to do then I think he/she deserves a tip.

If you are blessed with education, opportunity, and income, TIP those who aren't!
And if you get great service, tip BIG!

my .02...

I tip waitresses and waiters because I have /had friends in that position. At the same time I 100% agree with someone if they don't want to tip a waiter or waitress because they don't feel they stepped up above normal job duties. That is what a Tip is for. Going above and beyond.

Kind of harsh, don't you think? Many waitstaff are paid sub-minimum wage in the expectation that their tips will make up the difference. If I remember correctly, in Ohio the minimum wage for tipped employees is less than 50% of the rate for non-tipped employees. Additionally, most wait staff have a % of sales assumed as tips and reported to the IRS. Which means they have to pay based on tips that they may not even receive. Admittedly, this is not a normal occurrence, and most decent waitstaff will make more in tips then gets declared, but it's something to think about.

In a (chain) restaurant, the servers may have to tip out the kitchen, bussers, and hosts. it can eat into those tips real quick.

I start at ~20% and will go up 10 or down to 0 depending on the service. I have been there before, and it takes a certain kind of personality to put up with the public.

There have been a number of threads about visits to brewpubs, etc... where the waitstaff was pretty clueless and couldn't explain the food/brew. I can't remember seeing one about someone going in and having a great experience because the server could speak intelligently about the beers and food. It's a rough situation where perfection is the expectation, and the only reward comes from being "better than perfect".

<climbing down off my soapbox>

It's a rough situation where perfection is the expectation, and the only reward comes from being "better than perfect".

I completely agree. I'm no scrooge either. I tip very big, usually 20-30% but what I'm saying is that all you have to do is come back to the table. Ask if everything is ok, refill some drinks, give out some extra napkins, and ask if anyone wants anything else. Very tippable, great service! I'm really not trying to be an ass. I just draw a line in the sand about things I guess. It's an easy line to get over but it's there. :)

Wait staff and tattoo artists are a terrible comparison. Do you tip your mechanic or plumber or anyone else that charges $50 to $100 an hour for their services? No.

I have lots of tattoos and the only ones I tipped for were the free ones.

I completely agree. I'm no scrooge either. I tip very big, usually 20-30% but what I'm saying is that all you have to do is come back to the table. Ask if everything is ok, refill some drinks, give out some extra napkins, and ask if anyone wants anything else. Very tippable, great service! I'm really not trying to be an ass. I just draw a line in the sand about things I guess. It's an easy line to get over but it's there. :)
Your avatar would beg to differ.

But seriously, yeah I know what you're saying. I could count on my hand the number of times I've not tipped and in each case it was because of complete unprofessionalism (not bringing me and my wife our food because the waitress was doing shots with her friends - for 20 minutes; keeping us waiting an hour past our reservation time, crossing our name off the list -oops- causing our extended wait, not offering much at all in compensation for making us miss our movie by an hour and a half). As you can see, it usually takes a lot for me to not tip.

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

If I picked out a tattoo from a lineup and said put this on me and the artist did that I wouldn't necessarily tip. If the artist started suggesting colors, talking it over, placement, possibly alternative designs, all of these things that he doesn't have to do then I think he/she deserves a tip.
Totally agree

Kind of harsh, don't you think? Many waitstaff are paid sub-minimum wage in the expectation that their tips will make up the difference. If I remember correctly, in Ohio the minimum wage for tipped employees is less than 50% of the rate for non-tipped employees. Additionally, most wait staff have a % of sales assumed as tips and reported to the IRS. Which means they have to pay based on tips that they may not even receive. Admittedly, this is not a normal occurrence, and most decent waitstaff will make more in tips then gets declared, but it's something to think about.

In a (chain) restaurant, the servers may have to tip out the kitchen, bussers, and hosts. it can eat into those tips real quick.

I start at ~20% and will go up 10 or down to 0 depending on the service. I have been there before, and it takes a certain kind of personality to put up with the public.

There have been a number of threads about visits to brewpubs, etc... where the waitstaff was pretty clueless and couldn't explain the food/brew. I can't remember seeing one about someone going in and having a great experience because the server could speak intelligently about the beers and food. It's a rough situation where perfection is the expectation, and the only reward comes from being "better than perfect".

<climbing down off my soapbox>
I never said I didn't tip. I always tip 20% unless they're horrible I'll drop down to 15% or god forbid 10%. I figure this should cover any tipping of the kitchen or other employees they're forced to do. It does take a certain personality to be a waitress, it takes a certain skill set to do everyjob. If they don't don't have people skills and are getting hosed on tips....lets see, be nice and work hard! Don't complaint to me about your bad day, serve me my food. When my customers call me, I help them with their machines and get them going again regardless if my dog died that morning or my latest brew is not fermenting. Punch the clock, drop your personal crap off at the door. Pick it up on your way out. That is harsh, but I think people need harsh once in a while.
There's nothing more annoying than a waiter complaining about her day and her job while waiting on you.

I don't feel bad when a lazy POS waiter/waitress doesn't get a tip. At the same time If I saw a waiter/waitress doing an awesome job and noticed a table didn't leave a tip, I'll be the guy that throws a little extra on my tip to help compensate because good effort and hard work should be rewarded. But not laziness cimply because it's "expected".
They know when they take the job that a portion of their pay comes from their tips. it's no surpirse after their training is over. If it is a surprise to them, well, ignorance is not an excuse.

//off soap box rant

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
It's a movie quote, but I agree with his opinion on it, but like I said I do tip and I I feel I tip fairly well for the effort put forth.

Wow. Really? You do understand that waitresses make like $3.00/hr before tips don't you? It's implicit in the meal you buy at the restaurant. (as to tattoo artists, I don't know how they're paid...it's not my thing...NTTAWWT). I like the system because it allows me to reward great service and punish poor service. They're doing theirs, you should do yours which is tipping the waitstaff for proper service. Don't want to tip? Stick with the drive-thru.

Wow. Really? You do understand that waitresses make like $3.00/hr before tips don't you? It's implicit in the meal you buy at the restaurant. (as to tattoo artists, I don't know how they're paid...it's not my thing...NTTAWWT). I like the system because it allows me to reward great service and punish poor service. They're doing theirs, you should do yours which is tipping the waitstaff for proper service. Don't want to tip? Stick with the drive-thru.

I don't see the restaurant lowering any prices to allow extra room for their employees tips. I'm already paying $40 for a meal, if the waiter doesn't make and effort, than I guess $3 an hour is the appropriate pay that they agreed to accept for average mediocre work. Anything above and beyond would be rewarded accordingly at the customers discretion.

Or if you don't wanna make $3/hr plus tips, find a better job. You don't need a college degree to sell clothing or work in a factory.

I don't see the restaurant lowering any prices to allow extra room for their employees tips. I'm already paying $40 for a meal, if the waiter doesn't make and effort, than I guess $3 an hour is the appropriate pay that they agreed to accept for average mediocre work. Anything above and beyond would be rewarded accordingly at the customers discretion.

Or if you don't wanna make $3/hr plus tips, find a better job. You don't need a college degree to sell clothing or work in a factory.

You don't think they'd have to raise their prices if required to pay full salary to the waitstaff? I like the tipping system...it allows the consumer to give direct feedback to the waiter/waitress and control over the situation. I'd much rather the waiter know that his paycheck depends on keeping ME happy as opposed only to keeping his boss happy. I'm much more likely to get good service that way.

Don't want to pay for the service? Cook it at home or stick with fast food.

You totally missed that reference, huh?

You don't think they'd have to raise their prices if required to pay full salary to the waitstaff? I like the tipping system...it allows the consumer to give direct feedback to the waiter/waitress and control over the situation. I'd much rather the waiter know that his paycheck depends on keeping ME happy as opposed only to keeping his boss happy. I'm much more likely to get good service that way.

Don't want to pay for the service? Cook it at home or stick with fast food.

I've already mentioned that I do tip and I think the tipping system is great when used how you mentioned you used it! Good tips for good service. It's when a waiter expects a tip for dropping your food off at the table and dropping off your check an hour later. That's the problem.

Anyway this thread has gotten way off track.

Back to the Original Topic:
I'd say tip the tattoo artists if he helps you with artwork./suggestions or if you plan on returning to him. If you picking a one time tattoo of the wall and he puts it on, pay the bill and call it a purchase. my .02

I didn't tip on my first tattoo and did on my second.

I drew the design for my first and the guy simply put it on. He didn't do a great job in the sense that there were a few tiny spots in the shade-ins that he missed... little things like that. Luckily it was nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. So I didn't tip him a dime.

My second... the guy had a few suggestions... altered the design slightly for what I really wanted, did a really nice job, taking his time and then he went back and touched up my first one... shading in the tiny spots the first guy had missed, for no charge.

The tattoo work was something like $270 for the second tattoo and I gave him $300 and thanked him for being cool about everything.

I don't think it is a requirement at all but I look at tipping as simply a way to let someone know you appreciate them putting in more effort then you might typically get. I do that with stuff all of the time regardless if they are waitstaff or not.

It's not "expected" or anything like that... I just think it is a little "thank you" for people and it probably makes their day when they have a job that usually isn't "tipped".

i'm getting a new tattoo. I'm having a arguement with a couple of friends. I dont tip my tattoo artist. She is the owner of the shop & I dont feel that she should be tipped. I also feel that if a shop is set up that all the artist are paying a fee for a booth & get 100% of the cost of a tattoo then I should have to tip.

If the artist does work on par with Monet, Van Gogh, or Dali, then I'd tip. If the artist does work I'm EXCEEDINGLY pleased with, then I'd tip. If they go above & beyond, then I'd tip. If all they do is mediocre work, then I think I'd be looking for better artists. Nobody has a right to a tip, tips are EARNED. Regards, GF.

Many good wait staff can make over $20 an hour (my daughter in college does all the time), but they bust their ass to provide good service.

I tip wait staff with poor attitudes and poor service with a note on the bill stating so and I make sure management gets it.

Restaurants today cannot afford pisspoor wait staff. The $3/hour wage is irrelevant if they do the job as they are supposed to. If they don't, they lose and eventually so does the restaurant as I do not return to pay to be abused a second time.

... goofy example... we have a bog cookout every year and we get a porta potty for it every year.

The porta potty was $105... my driveway is a major PITA to get down with those big trucks... it's 98 degrees out, this kid is busting his azz on a hot day, he was good kid, right on time, went out of his way to be polite, grabt he thing, get it loaded up and outta there... so I gave the kida gatoraid and a $120 and told him to keep the $15 and buy himself a couple beers later that night when he was done working.

Did he go way over an above?? no... but he was working really hard freakin' emptying porta potties all day on a 98 degree July day while still being really polite and courteous about about.... I was already shelling out $105 so what is another $15... really?? Is it THAT big of a deal?? And the kid was pysched... It was just a little thing to let the kid know that someone appreciates the fact that he's out busting his butt all day.

Many good wait staff can make over $20 an hour (my daughter in college does all the time), but they bust their ass to provide good service.

I tip wait staff with poor attitudes and poor service with a note on the bill stating so and I make sure management gets it.

Restaurants today cannot afford pisspoor wait staff. The $3/hour wage is irrelevant if they do the job as they are supposed to. If they don't, they lose and eventually so does the restaurant as I do not return to pay to be abused a second time.

This is what I'm saying. Don't know if you were agreeing with my by quoting or countering.

This is what I'm saying. Don't know if you were agreeing with my by quoting or countering.

I guess my main point is to counter "They only make $3/hour" which in some ways it supposed to lay a guilt trip on you so you leave a tip.

I have no problem leaving 20-30% when service merits it, but like many folks say here, mediocre or poor service does not cut it my book. It affects much more than their wallet.

I tipped my last tattoo artist the half the difference that it would have cost me to get it here.

He charged me $300 for both mine and my wife's tattoo. Mine would have been $500 alone. Hers would have been at least $200. ($700 total) We gave him a $200 tip.

Regardless of industry, if you do your job then there is no tip needed. If you go above and beyond and make suggestions, do the art and really do a good job then sure. Waiters go into the job also knowing that they are making three bucks an hour and that if they don't do their job and serve the public well then they aren't making tips. You want to talk about crap wages then let's start another thread about the cooks, who regardless of whether their food is emaculate often times don't get a tip and also get paid slave wages. Strippers don't get paid much either and tips are what they rely on. ;)

I was recently at a bar and the bartender was useless, so I left him a buck a drink for a thirty dollar tab of two drinks. I haven't gotten a tattoo yet, but I know that if I get a great tattoo and the guy helps me out with it, then he is getting a tip.

EDIT: I just started another thread for Tipping in General, let's quite off topic posting here and post our thoughts on how all industry should be tipped there.

If someone was about to scar me for life you can bet your ass I would tip them! I would tip them as I walked in the door and I would tip them again when they got the needles out. I would tip them during the tattoo process, and I would tip them just before they finished. Who needs a tattoo that says "I suck"?

Wait staff and tattoo artists are a terrible comparison. Do you tip your mechanic or plumber or anyone else that charges $50 to $100 an hour for their services? No.

I have lots of tattoos and the only ones I tipped for were the free ones.

Well actually I do tip my Mechanic and the plumber if they don't own the business if they do a good job. Their not the ones making 50 to 100 $ an hour.And the owner isnt either with overhead

I do the same for my tats. I use the same guy every time and he does great work and goes over backwards to get the tat just the way I want it.

I'd treat tattoo artists much like hairdressers: The general wisdom and etiquette is that you tip employees but not the owner of the business.

On the other hand, my hairdresser IS the owner of the salon and I tip him anyway. It just doesn't feel right to me not to. So with an employee, it's expected. With an owner, it's your choice.

I'd treat tattoo artists much like hairdressers: The general wisdom and etiquette is that you tip employees but not the owner of the business.

On the other hand, my hairdresser IS the owner of the salon and I tip him anyway. It just doesn't feel right to me not to. So with an employee, it's expected. With an owner, it's your choice.

Until I realised who it was I was ready to laugh at you for having a "hairdresser" . :eek:

I have to differ on the tattoo artist. I got mine done. 65 bucks she did a great job. She the owner of the company & I didnt feel the need to tip her. Tattoo artists are independant contractors. So they work on referals, same way a realtor works. people dont pay realtors 2000 bucks then tip them cause they did a couple of open houses. as for tattoo design. most of the time you have to pay for that up front. I just have people trying to make me feel bad for not tipping the tattoo artist. I mean 65 bucks 30 mins worth of work why am i tipping you. you just made 65 bucks an hour & i paid you in cash so you dont have to include it as income if you like.

Now wait staff, those people make tons of money, but it is not steady income.

Latest posts

Back