Tasting wort after finished boil *gag*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
So I was feeling adventurous and decided to sip on the cooled wort from a hydrometer reading of what is going to be an American Eislager. 2 row, hallertau, 5.4ph mash, whirlfoc, flaked rice and flaked barley... that's pretty much it. 1.050 OG and *GAG* OMG it was sour! I had to spit and chug an IPA to get right... diacetyl at the end but ferm rest will take care of that.

Is it normal for a wort to be off putting when placing into the fermenter? I've never tasted it before, so I wouldn't have anything to compare it to... Thanks...:drunk:

i usually do this, usually the taste is very sweet and very bitter compared to finished beer, but i wouldn't say i think it tastes bad. Either way I wouldn't sweat it at this point, especially since you dont have experience to compare with other worts yet.

personally, I can't stand unfermented wort, especially hoppy ones. Diacetyl though is created prior/during fermentation by yeast, don't know how you might be getting that flavour.

personally, I can't stand unfermented wort, especially hoppy ones. Diacetyl though is created prior/during fermentation by yeast, don't know how you might be getting that flavour.

Maybe its DMS... I know there's a flavor that I'm familiar with, I just haven't pin pointed what it is.

I need that off flavor training kit

DMS will give you a cream corn/cooked cabbage type of flavour. It is normally driven off during the boil but if you boil with a lid on some can remain.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a great beer after fermentation. Sour out of the boil kettle is certainly odd though

I tasted my last OG sample (post boil and cool, of course). I remember it not being particularly appetizing. However if one flavor stood it out, it was an over-whelming taste of morning cereal. Like corn flakes, not corn but corn flakes.

Any chance for spoiled grain?? I had them in 5 gal buckets with Gamma lids:(

Never had one taste sour. Usually it's SWEET or bitter grapefruit juice.

it was sweet... and then puckering... hmm....

Yeast are eating that wort up like MAD though. I've never seen WLP800 rage like this at 12c...

Only time will tell...

From what I have noticed hops appear very different before fermentation. I hav had some samples where I thought this beer isn't going to turn out. After fermed out the hop profile changes. There are some chemical changes that will go on during fermentation that will change the profile, thus certain yeasts will be better for hop forward beers and some that won't. This just my personal opinion tho and not backed by published research.

I tasted my last OG sample (RIS) and it was sweet and bitter. But not bad.

I always taste my finished wort. I really like it, especially big hoppy wort. Never had one taste sour, but I've never brewed w corn or rice either. Echo the above about diacetyl.

Is your ph meter calibrated? If so, you could have used to much acid malt.

You gotta use an awful lot to get any taste. Well over 10% according to the braukaiser. (Granted that is in finished beer). The lactate taste threshold seems to be very high.

You can pretty much discount that idea.

Sure is. 4-7-10 calibration before brewday starts.

Why the three point calibration and not two just points bracketing your mash pH?

Does your meter require this or does it add accuracy to the device?

I use 7.00 and 4.01 to calibrate. I've never done a third. Should I be?

BTW I always taste the wort from the OG sample. Never truly pleasant but never unpleasant either. Sweet and bitter at the same time. Kind of odd.

I usually taste a sample after I boil just to learn more about the process. The best way I know to describe it is kind of how I would imagine a tea made of grain would taste, same slight sweetness with a small to medium astringent tannin like burst. Definitely not anything like I expected the first time I tried it, but now that I know what to expect it is helpful in figuring out my flavors. I'm guessing that it will be fine and that your palette is just having a little difficulty adjusting to a new taste.

Why the three point calibration and not two just points bracketing your mash pH?

Does your meter require this or does it add accuracy to the device?

I use 7.00 and 4.01 to calibrate. I've never done a third. Should I be?

BTW I always taste the wort from the OG sample. Never truly pleasant but never unpleasant either. Sweet and bitter at the same time. Kind of odd.

I wanted a package deal that came with a
Probe storage liquid and it came with the 3 calibration points and storage solution. Was more expensive to omit the 10. So I go 10-7-4 in that order. I usually don't have to do anything after the 10ph. Perhaps as the unit ages.
It only gets used for brewing, so 20 times a year?

Back