Tasted my beer before bottling and it was horrible. Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrmc23

Reaction score
So about a week or so ago I noticed that my plastic airlock (the part the screws on the top of my one-gallon glass carboy) was slightly cracked, but many on here said to let it keep going and it should be fine.

Well I bottled it tonight after a week primary and two secondary. I tried a bit while bottling and it was sour tasting and horrible.

Long story short, will the taste change much during carbonation, or is this a wasted batch and it's time to toss?

It may not be good... wait and see, it will probably be better than you think.

it was sour tasting and horrible.
Horrible in what way?

Sounds like it got contaminated. It certainly may get better, but I'm not optimistic. Either way, I'd give it some time.
There is a small chance of overcarbonating, so I'd suggest keeping it somewhere safe in case there's an explosion.

I bet people already gave you advice but a drilled rubber stopper with an s-shaped airlock is way better and more durable than the plastic screw caps.
I use breathable silicone airlocks. They're great but they're a little more expensive.

Good luck

Pre-carbonation tastings are interesting but often do not reflect the end products taste. Early tastes following carbonation also are often poor indicators of potential improvement or degradation over time.

"Sour" might be concerning. "Horrible" is not helpful in determining if there is an obvious issue.

Bottle, keep in a container for safety, give it enough time to carbonate, refrigerate, try.... Keep it longer in the fridge, try again, make your determination if it is better over even more time to the point it had reached maturity for you.

I doubt that the cracked airlock cap was the cause of any infection if one is eventually found to be present. It more likely came about from something else.

Remember too that an infection is not necessarily a bad thing. We do this all the time on purpose. You may like the results infected or not.

It could just be the taste was not what you expected compared to say a commercial beer. I'm with the others to bottle, carbonate then taste it cold before determining it's a loss. Not likely to taste special straight out of a carboy. If it has soured because of a brett infection, bottle and age it 6 months. Congratulations you've made your first sour brew, you might not like it, you might like it or you might water your garden beds with it. *shrugs*. Either way, it wouldn't tip it down the drain just yet.

I kegged a beer this weekend, and tried a bit as I measured FG. It tasted pretty nasty because of hop burn. Lots of hop particulate still floating around(I don't cold crash). Warm, green, uncarbonated beer never gives me a good indication of what the final product will be.

I just bottled 5 gallons of coconut ipa. Drank the sample. Ummm. I’ve brewed it several times. Can’t wait for it to carb up. I can tell it’ll be good.
Brew this several times, taste at at bottling and you’ll be excited too.

week primary and two secondary

Beers shouldn't taste sour when bottling. Your beer likely has in infection and the two weeks in secondary are likely the cause. When your beer is in primary it is covered in CO2, held there by the lid with airlock (even a cracked one) but when you transfer to secondary that CO2 is left behind and your beer now has oxygen avialable. Oxygen is what the bacteria need for reproduction and you let them have access to it for 2 weeks. Never secondary your beer unless you have added something fermentable to recreate the CO2 blanket.

Oxygen is what the bacteria need for reproduction
This is not true. Please don't spread this myth.

Many bacterial contaminants are anaerobic. Learn more about Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, Zymomonas, Pectinatus, Megasphera, etc.
Don't forget wild yeast too.

Cheers

Some of my home brews did not taste great at bottling, but none were sour in taste. Best to wait it out and see how it comes out after two weeks. My worse ones got better with age. Worse case you still don't like it, nothing lost except time. Those screw tops split pretty easy and the crack isn;t always easily noticeable. I still use them but am very wary of over tightening.

This is not true. Please don't spread this myth.

Many bacterial contaminants are anaerobic. Learn more about Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, Zymomonas, Pectinatus, Megasphera, etc.
Don't forget wild yeast too.

Cheers

Please explain why people don't get infections in their beer until they move to secondary and expose too much of the surface to air. Infections in primary where there is a good cover in CO2 are incredibly rare and need some poor sanitation to get a start. The sources I found said that these bacteria cannot reproduce in beer without oxygen. They may be anaerobic and able to reproduce in other liquids but not in beer.

Please explain why people don't get infections in their beer until they move to secondary and expose too much of the surface to air. Infections in primary where there is a good cover in CO2 are incredibly rare and need some poor sanitation to get a start. The sources I found said that these bacteria cannot reproduce in beer without oxygen. They may be anaerobic and able to reproduce in other liquids but not in beer.
People do get contaminations in primary.

The organisms I pointed out are all known to contaminate beer and all grow in beer anaerobically. Oxygen is not required for their growth.

From personal experience I can say it's super easy to sour a beer by adding Lactobacillus to an unhopped beer during active fermentation in primary, when it's 100% anerobic. Souring occurs in a matter of days.

After you transfer your microbial growth medium (wort) into your first fermenter you aerate or oxygenate, right? That's way more oxygen than will ever be in beer transferred to a secondary vessel.

The reason for the perception that contamination occurs in secondary is that a pellicle forms in the presence of oxygen. The pellicle is just a visual indicator that there is a contamination. The wild microbes certainly could have been there before transferring, and probably were. They just weren't noticed.

Furthermore, contaminations develop over time from low starting cell counts, so a longer fermentation just gives the wild microbes more time to develop.

Lastly, new brewers often use secondaries and their cleaning and sanitation practices may not be 100%. This is a confounding variable. Many long-time brewers will emphatically tell you that they always use secondary and don't have issues with contamination.

Using a secondary vessel obviously increases risk of picking up a contaminant vs not doing so, but is clearly not the most common contamination vector because there's no greater risk involved than there was when putting the wort into the first vessel (and aerating!).

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Back