Tart taste caused by exposure to light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadam

Reaction score
I've got a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale clone in a secondary right now (you needed to secondary because you add bourbon soaked oak chips to it at that point to get the bourbon oak barrel taste the commercial brew does). Anyway, I went to see where it was gravity wise yesterday. I tasted the sample I pulled for the hydrometer test. I get the oak (I smell it more than taste it), I definitely get the bourbon (I'm a big guy and the test tube amount of the beer had me feeling it for sure), but I also get a tart taste that, while I kept drinking it, never seemed to go away. The mouth feel was good, I just couldn't shake this tartness I was getting.

Any idea what could be causing it? The only thing I could think of, and am working to rectify, is where I store my carboys. With space limitations, the only place I can keep them for right now is on a work table in the basement, which also happens to be in a room we have to go through to get to the laundry room, so the fluorescent lights come on often. Do you think exposure to light would cause this tartness? Any other thoughts on the cause?

Thanks! Haven't seen that before, but I'll print it out to keep on hand from now on.

Latest posts

Back