Tannic acid in the prevention of oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerofBeers

Reaction score
Does anyone use this for the short-term benefits? Which would be prevention of oxidation in such a significant way as to make beer taste better. Used in the mash or whirlpool. Can it make your fresh ingredients pop?

Seeking some insight and "talk" about tannic acid -- you might have heard it go by Brewtan-B or Tanal-B. It's been around in the brewing world for decades (not as long as the supporting scientific research), and is available to homebrewers.

I haven't used it yet so, instead of experimenting, why not see if there is wisdom out there ....somewhere...as I blow a puff of tannic acid into the wind....

A72.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone use this for the short-term benefits? Which would be prevention of oxidation in such a significant way as to make beer taste better. Used in the mash or whirlpool. Can it make your fresh ingredients pop?

Seeking some insight and "talk" about tannic acid -- you might have heard it go by Brewtan-B or Tanal-B. It's been around in the brewing world for decades (not as long as the supporting scientific research), and is available to homebrewers.

I haven't used it yet so, instead of experimenting, why not see if there is wisdom out there ....somewhere...as I blow a puff of tannic acid into the wind....

A72.JPG

Check out this thread from 5 or 6 years ago on this forum:

Brewtan B-Do Oxygen Scavenging Chemicals Change Beer?​

It's pretty informative and opens up the whole realm of low-oxygen (LoDO) brewing. Just be forewarned that the process created a pretty large dust-up here a few years back with extremely partisan opinions on both sides of the issue.

For the record, I use Brewtan B in a "trifecta" blend with every batch I brew, both in the mash and in the late boil. And I believe it works. But be advised that the topic is kinda' like 'self-pleasure': people may do it, but nobody will admit it. Just sayin'. Peace, out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care about opening pandora's box about tannic acid with you all....SWMBO doesn't want to talk about beer anymore.

Maybe we're talking about the same thread. I couldn't gather a conclusion from it -- so I see what you mean. That thread was years ago. I read through it this morning before opening this thread. If I'm using the search function correctly, there aren't many dedicated discussions to this at all. Certainly not recent ones. So you admit to using it then...haha. And you must appreciate what it offers. I, for one, want to know more from you.

If it's one of those things you can't tell if it's noticeable or not, then I can see why people aren't interested. I like to say, if you aren't sure it's there, it's placebo. It's tannic acid, which might sound scary, but it's no more abstract than DME is, in terms of source and processing. I think tannic acid can come from grain husks and hops, no?

Tannic acid is working at the molecular level -- that is so well documented. But is it enough to perceive, or care? And yes, I'm talking about the trifecta.

Last edited:
tl;dr: there may be a new set of brewers who are "letting their recipes talk" when it comes to experimenting with reduced oxygen brewing.

insight and "talk"
If nothing develops here ...
... take a look at the "Today's Brew" topic over in AHA forums.​

In that topic, in replies this year (and probably last year, but start with Jan 2023), ...
... you'll find people posting complete recipes and notes (using Beer Smith).​

Pay attention to the notes sections of their recipes as it appears they are ...
... trying combinations of techniques and ingredients​
... that are simple and approachable.​

Right...
simple and approachable techniques and ingredients for reduced oxygen brewing

Ok thanks, will check over there

I don't care about opening pandora's box about tannic acid with you all....SWMBO doesn't want to talk about beer.

Maybe we're talking about the same thread. I couldn't gather a conclusion from it -- so I see what you mean. That thread was years ago. I read through it this morning before opening this thread. If I'm using the search function correctly, there aren't many dedicated discussions to this at all. Certainly not recent ones. So you admit to using it then...haha. And you must appreciate what it offers. I, for one, want to know more.

If it's one of those things you can't tell if it's noticeable or not, then I can see why people aren't interested. I like to say, if you aren't sure it's there, it's placebo.

No doubt tannic acid is working at the molecular level -- that is so well documented. But is it enough to perceive, or care?
Any opinions I express are anecdotal, nothing empirical that I can cite, other than the extensive data compiled by the German Brewers forum, which was quite in-depth as well as conclusive rather than suggestive.

In my case, I can’t perceive any negative impact on the beer. On the positive side, my kegged beers ‘seem’ to remain ‘fresher’ for a much longer period of time (exceeding 6 months). Can’t attest to bottled beer, since the only time I bottle anymore is for comps.

Short takeaway: it doesn’t cost me much to use it, it doesn’t add much in the way of time or complexity to my brew day, I can’t detect any negative consequences, and my beer stays fresher longer (my perception). What’s not to like?

Last edited:
Right...
simple and approachable techniques and ingredients for reduced oxygen brewing

Ok thanks, will check over there
"Right" it is. You should easily see variations of techniques similar to what @Brooothru mentioned in #6 (above).

eta: that new set of brewers is "letting their recipes talk". Feel free to listen, feel free to not listen; I won't be offended either way. :mug:

Last edited:
Back