Taking your brew to the LHBS to sample?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
I was thinking of taking my homebrew down to the shop and asking their opinions.

Anyone ever try this? If so, was it worth it?

If you worked there, would you turn down beer and a chance to help a customer who will probably shop while they are there? If you trust their judgment, do it. I know other people here on HBT have done it.

I don't do it, but people do that at my LHBS all the time. It's nice to try when you think something is 'off' about a beer but not quite sure what it is.

Be confident in the brew first, 'cause you're likely to be told 15 different things that you should change.............. all of which are probably wrong;)

I do it all the time.

I'm at my LHBS at least every other week, if not to buy something, just to nose around...
The owner is very down to Earth, a really nice guy, someone who just loves the hobby, loves what he does and loves to help other brewers... So if my bringing him a beer to share with his employee or others that might be in the shop (usually just people he knows) then it's the least I can do to show my appreciation.

I've been in the shop before when someone has brought in a "sample" and he has always poured me a cup. When I first started brewing, I remember thinking "one day, I want to be the guy that brings in a beer for others to sample"...

Now I am that guy.

I bring my homebrew into the local microbrewery I work for. The only downside is that my stuff is Belgian style 99% of the time and he specializes in German and English styles. Either my stuff is good or he doesn't want to hurt my feelings. I mean, I did ask for some real criticism! :mug:

I do it all the time. I regularly bring in beer and share recipes with the people who work there. I'm going to bring in some of my baltic porter today:mug:

Professor Frink said:
I do it all the time. I regularly bring in beer and share recipes with the people who work there. I'm going to bring in some of my baltic porter today:mug:
I'd be happy to offer my opinion and analysis. :rockin:

That’s an interesting concept for a job (or do people already do this?) Set up a drop off or mailing address for beer to be judged. I’d pay a fee for a unbiased opinion of my beer. Time for a HBT search to see if this is around.

I think I'll give it a try. Though, the people in my HBS don't sound as friendly as the people you guys seem to know. I think they are more concerned with your purchasing from them instead of what you make with their products.

Guess it's worth a shot.

So, how many of you take your beer down to the local brewery to get opinions? I'd probably get better advice.

Benny Blanco said:
I think I'll give it a try. Though, the people in my HBS don't sound as friendly as the people you guys seem to know. I think they are more concerned with your purchasing from them instead of what you make with their products.

Guess it's worth a shot.

So, how many of you take your beer down to the local brewery to get opinions? I'd probably get better advice.
I mentioned doing this earlier on. Though maybe it's not necessarily an unbiased opinion, of course the brewmaster is one of those no-nonsense sorts...

My LHBS encourages brewers to drop by on Friday nights and to bring a few bottles for group tastings. You get to know other brewers, get honest opinions and try different styles that you may not have tried before.

Just today, I did this very thing. two brews to sample and get honest opinions. The owner really appreciates that I trust his opinion enough for me to bring my brews in for him to sample. Only problem is that he usually wants more than I bring.

I tried it once but the guy says he no longer drinks on the job

Benny Blanco said:

Guess it's worth a shot.

Where do you go in Rochester?

I've done this and they gave me some good advice. They also welcome anyone to bring in beer that needs to be 'diagnosed' or good stuff that anyone wants to share.

The cool thing is that if you give them some of yours, they'll tend to let you take a sampling of whatever they've got on tap...those guys are really cool. They seem to undersatnd that by having a good attitude and giving solid advice, they are promoting the craft-as well as growing their customer base.

I do it all the time, The guys at my LHBS Encourage it. I just took some of my Old Town Steam down there today when I bought my Winter Beer Fest Tickets.

I've taken a few to local breweries, but I depend on feedback from the homebrewing clubs. Some people, of course, are so stuck on one style that their opinions are useless [Mr. I only make IPAs]. It's fun to watch them make funny faces, though.

And then there's the WinO who thought my blackberry cider was a Pinot! Though it was great, really liked the oak. Blackberries & apple juice. Can we say, "Snort"?

My LHBS is more winery than brew supply shop. Their main product is the wine they make on the premises, and brewing supplies come in second (I'm trying to convince them otherwise). I took in a bottle of Apfelwein, and the owner couldn't believe the clarity of it, particularly after I told him it was never racked, and no clarifiers were used. He has asked me about the recipe several times now, but I keep pointing him over here.

My LHBS always has a cold keg in the fridge, and a stack of cups for anyone who wants a taste. Every so often I will bring a bottle with me on shopping day.

I don't bring it for taste testing though. I bring it as a gift.

My LHBS has a tasting party every other month and it is a great chance to have employees sample your beers as well as other customers. You also get to sample what everyone else is making. If your LHBS doesn't do this suggest it. It is really a fun time.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Where do you go in Rochester?

I usually go to Beers of The World. Which, I know, is a beer store first that sells brewing equipment/ingredients. Best beer store I've ever been to...but lacking in homebrew stuff. I was thinking of going over to Custom Brewcrafters and have them sample some.

Damn, I'm jealous. Most of you sound like you have a pretty good deal.:mug:

mrk305 said:
My LHBS always has a cold keg in the fridge, and a stack of cups for anyone who wants a taste. Every so often I will bring a bottle with me on shopping day.

I don't bring it for taste testing though. I bring it as a gift.

My LHBS has the same set up and I do the same thing. I like some feedback but mostly like to share my brews with people who appreciate it.

I'll bring him a bottle of my version, too (the one with molasses...it's a little darker than the pictures of apfelwein I've seen on here). Then I'll point him this way too. *grin* Between the two of us, maybe he'll head on over. :)

Silviakitty said:
I'll bring him a bottle of my version, too (the one with molasses...it's a little darker than the pictures of apfelwein I've seen on here). Then I'll point him this way too. *grin* Between the two of us, maybe he'll head on over. :)
Dave's a good guy. We might get him to pay a little better attention to the beer brewers eventually:D .

I took a sample of my first ever wit in to my LHBS this afternoon. It was OK right up until I started carbing it.

About halfway carbed I started tasting cloves- very bad on all barley with a clean ale yeast. But I had never made a wit before and I have never used WLP400 Belgian wit before either. They said they would trade me an empty corny for the corny full of questionable wit

My LHBS is a true home brew enthusiast's Mecca. Every Saturday he does a "How To Brew" Demo and there's usually at least 8-15 people there watching. After the demo, he serves up samples of a few different brews. The place has at least 7 beers on tap as well as dozens and dozens of bottles of different brews. It's pretty common practice for a lot of his customers to drop off "Tester" bottles for him to try and give his thoughts on it.

I just dropped off a bottle of AHB's Arrogant bastard clone. We are going to try it in 4-5 weeks when it has matured more.

Back