taking og question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joselastra

Reaction score
So for those that read my original post on my lager brew, according to my airlock(not a right indication I know) primary ferm is close to done. When i originally pitched the first yeast i took out a sample in a glass beaker. When I repitched I never took out another sample. Should I open up the bucket and take another sanitized sample to read SG? I repitched the yeast last friday, it fermented pretty good untill today.

Lagers usually take at least a week to even think about finishing, usually more like two. How long has this been fermenting total? I wouldn't really start expecting it to be ready to move until at least day ten. If it's been that long or longer, you may wish to check on it to see how it's doing. If you're pretty close to target gravity you can move it in for a d-rest.

Oh, also, what was your OG? That plays in too.

OG was 1.052, its day 4 since I repitched. I was figuring to do a d rest from Friday to Sunday than re racking into a carboy on Monday night. Should I peel back the top say Friday and take a reading? Then if the readings good proceed on....

I think you could check the gravity on friday. A week in is a good time to start keeping track of things. But don't necessarily expect it to be ready to move; primary fermentation for lagers tends to be between 7-14 days, so that's sort of the soonest possibility - not necessarily the most likely.

I move to d-rest when the krausen has all but died down, and the gravity (for a beer in that range) is somewhat below 1.020 - maybe in the range of 1.019 to 1.016. Though it depends a bit on your target gravity.

Sounds good to me. I just do primary in a bottling bucket, and take a sample from the spigot when I need to. But a sample from the top is probably safer practice, as it doesn't take up too much yeast and doesn't pass through an unsanitized spigot.

Best advice I got from these boards ( as a beginner) is that "Bacteria aren't ninjas". They aren't waiting 2 mills from the edge of the bucket lid, just waiting for you to crack that lid and BAM!! INFECTION.

You want another reading? Open her up and take another reading. Sanitize your turkey baster (or whatever implement of your choice), wash your hands, don't sneeze and work fast, then close it up again.

Back