Taking fg during active fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Long story short I had a neipa that stalled out so I added amylase enzyme and 05 and it’s kicked off again. But, I don’t want the fg to drop to low, I’d like to keep it 1.014-1.016 range, it stalled at 1.028, so I’d like to take a gravity reading to see where it’s at and then when I hit my target do a hard cold crash to stop the activity. Will taking a hydrometer fg reading while it’s under a bit of fermentation throw off any readings?

Hello there,

No, taking a gravity reading is fine...yeasts wont messwith the hydrometer.

Also, a little help for your verbiage...you are looking for a gravity reading. FG stands for final gravity also known as terminal gravity.

You're gonna have some trouble stopping the fermentation once you added the gluco though...and unfortunately I do not know how to stop it.

amylase enzyme
added the gluco though...and unfortunately I do not know how to stop it.

if it stalled again i'd doubt it was gluco, and probably alpha? there's no stopping gluco. the only thing i could think of with gluco would be to not add as much? maybe there's a calc for how fast it denatures or something, for next time.

and yes fermentation will lift the hydro a bit. at least that been my experience, at first it drops way more then slowly rises as the bubbles attach to it....

Hello there,

No, taking a gravity reading is fine...yeasts wont messwith the hydrometer.

Also, a little help for your verbiage...you are looking for a gravity reading. FG stands for final gravity also known as terminal gravity.

You're gonna have some trouble stopping the fermentation once you added the gluco though...and unfortunately I do not know how to stop it.
Ok thanks. Won’t cold crashing it drop the yeast thereby halting the fermentation process?

if it stalled again i'd doubt it was gluco, and probably alpha? there's no stopping gluco. the only thing i could think of with gluco would be to not add as much? maybe there's a calc for how fast it denatures or something, for next time.

and yes fermentation will lift the hydro a bit. at least that been my experience, at first it drops way more then slowly rises as the bubbles attach to it....
It’s alpha amylase enzyme I added not gluco like beano. And that’s why I ask because I wondered if the yeast or bubbles would make the hydrometer more buoyant throwing off the true reading.

It’s alpha amylase enzyme I added not gluco like beano

i'm curious what the OG was? and i'd half ass say this might be a good time to use a refractometer with a calc, the oposite of usual posts, lol ;)

and if just added alpha don't worry about it going dry on you. i'd let it ride till done.

Ok thanks. Won’t cold crashing it drop the yeast thereby halting the fermentation process?

Some yeast will still be in suspension, but it will make them go dormant. If you keg and keep the beer cold, there should be little/no attenuation happening.

i'm curious what the OG was? and i'd half ass say this might be a good time to use a refractometer with a calc, the oposite of usual posts, lol ;)

and if just added alpha don't worry about it going dry on you. i'd let it ride till done.
The OG was 1.074. I added a full pack of voss kviek and it did what it was gonna do for 3 days then dropped and stopped. Fg reading taken day 5 was 1.028. And I fermented it in the 90’s like kviek likes.

The OG was 1.074. I added a full pack of voss kviek and it did what it was gonna do for 3 days then dropped and stopped. Fg reading taken day 5 was 1.028. And I fermented it in the 90’s like kviek likes.

i just punched that OG into beersmith it predicted a FG of 1.017. was fidling around with it, i'm wondering if someone else can chime in on if a big beer like this, asuming less effec, using more grain. would have a higher FG? i'm curious myself?

i just punched that OG into beersmith it predicted a FG of 1.017. was fidling around with it, i'm wondering if someone else can chime in on if a big beer like this, asuming less effec, using more grain. would have a higher FG? i'm curious myself?
I have a whole separate thread on this problematic beer. Think it’s in the beginner brew forum also.

Back