Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem with stainless conicals is... I would have to get about 4 15 sized fermenters. Pretty sure the wife isn't buying that one...

yeah... so i had a good day until i dropped my carboy trying to empty the sanatizer...

SMASH went the carboy on the garage floor.... (there goes 40 bucks) ugh...

So my question.. plastic bucket with lid or carboy... what would you do? need to decided by Monday since i plan on brewing then.

but Copyright iv been getting into the English style pales and ipa's lately for some reason as well (more away form the American style i have brewed so much of)

that sucks big time dude - at least no brew was in it! (and you didn't get cut...)

If I was you and you have the cash try to score a demi john - if no cash for that right now a bucket can save you in a pinch. I pretty much always start out fruit wines in a bucket and rack them offin a couple weeks to finish without fruit in them (just the liquid). Heck this year I am fermenting about 55G of cider in a giant plastic food grade drum, then racking in about 4 weeks.... you should be fine

remember - if you make a trip to waterloo container, you can get a 6 gallon fermenter for like 28 bucks. They don't have 6.5 - but they sell them pretty cheap there.

I actually just ordered 2 more glass fermenters (3G) for meads that my wife wants to do.

You can periodically get a 6 gal carboy on amazon for 30$ shipped free. I got one this summer and it showed up quick and does what it needs to.

How would you rack off larger containers? Can longer racking canes be found?

What size container? The largest racking cane they sell (plastic) works with the demijohns. you can always cut the curved part of the racking and and attach a longer hose on it so you can reach the bottom of the vessel.

This thread makes me wish I'd gotten that 14-15 gal demi john from a guy off craigslist. He only wanted $20 for it but after looking at it, I couldn't imagine lifting and moving it safely with 10 gallons of beer in it.

What size container? The largest racking cane they sell (plastic) works with the demijohns. you can always cut the curved part of the racking and and attach a longer hose on it so you can reach the bottom of the vessel.

Like a 15 gal container. I've been thinking of scrounging up a 1/2 barrel sanke to ferment my 10 gal house brews in. I would use co2 to transfer from a sanke though.

my buddy has a hook up right now for sanke's (basically from a distributer, that when they are damaged they are scrap) so his friend said he would sell them to him for scrap or just give them to us.... so if that works out ill be making 11 gallon fermenters out of them

my buddy has a hook up right now for sanke's (basically from a distributer, that when they are damaged they are scrap) so his friend said he would sell them to him for scrap or just give them to us.... so if that works out ill be making 11 gallon fermenters out of them

Care to hook a guy up? :cross:

depending on how many we can get... maybe.... i have to talk to him about this again (kinda on the back burner right now, since hes so busy)

depending on how many we can get... maybe.... i have to talk to him about this again (kinda on the back burner right now, since hes so busy)

yeah let me know if you run into any you don't need - I might be interested for lagering with them for a 10G batch.

This thread makes me wish I'd gotten that 14-15 gal demi john from a guy off craigslist. He only wanted $20 for it but after looking at it, I couldn't imagine lifting and moving it safely with 10 gallons of beer in it.

I wouldn't lift it unless you have to. I have lifted and carried them full, but I try to avoid that! Best thing to do is put them up high enough so they can be gravity drained. This way you never have to lift them with liquid, you simply rack off into your kegs or bottling buckets.

I built a table specifically for that.

Since I bulk age my cider need to swap the demi john out. i.e. at about 4-6 weeks, but I half drain it and switch to my shelf and finish racking.

With beer the demijohns are perfect because you fill them up with wort, and rack in 3 weeks - never a need to lift.

Still no pricing, eh?

Haha - I know, you can cut the tension with a knife. Just asked the buyer if he heard any word and he told me we should be getting pricing today. I hope so, because it would be great to get the money moving into my checking so we can get this order shipped.

LOL! I might have to do an online purchase to get a brew going. My kid has been bugging me to help him with a stout.

I know I broke down and bought an lb of roasted barley!

If payments come in quick I see no problem with getting this shipped and ready for your pick up by the end of next week. It will be determined by how fast the payment comes though.

Ok sadly this is not pricing. Wanted to ask if you all have had sierra celebration?

I was working on a clone but I have never actually tried this beer. From their website and the CYBI recipe I came up with this. The SG and FG are spot on and use the grist ratios as per the brewer from SN. I changed my hops significantly from what other clones have called for though. On the website it calls for 65IBU's (every clone recipe I looked at was hitting like 50IBUs). Let me know what you think in particular of the hops and the SRM (estimated 12.1SRM):

65.5 IBUs with no accounting for whirlpooling

11Gbatch @ 75% efficiency
(88.45%) 23lbs 12oz CM-2ROW (was considering using CM-PALE if the SRM should be slightly darker)
(11.55%) C60
57g Chinook @ 13% (60)
98g Cascade @ 5.5% (15)
49g Centennial @ 10.00% (15)
98g Cascade @ 5.5% (0 - whirlpool 10-15min)
49g Centennial @ 10.00% (0 - whirlpool 10-15min)
98g Cascade @ 5.5% (Dry hop)
49g Centennial @ 10.00% (Dry hop)

156F mash
Ferment 62F ramp to and hold at 68F
1056 yeast

The only other thing is that I am not sure how many IBUs will actually be drawn out from whirlpooling, and that is not factored into the above. Neither are the IBUs that would result from the 10-15 minute additions.

I am generally not a whirlpooler. I assume you guys who do simply turn the heat off, and whirlpool for 10-15 minutes before chilling? Or do you add the chiller and whirlpool? In CYBI I almost got the impression they were accounting for 15minutes of heat on during the whirlpool, but am not sure. They ended up extending the boil to 90 minutes and upping each addition (90, 30, 15) to offset a no whirlpool for 10-15 minute scenario.

All in all just darn confusing CYBI IMO

Ok sadly this is not pricing. Wanted to ask if you all have had sierra celebration?

I was working on a clone but I have never actually tried this beer. From their website and the CYBI recipe I came up with this. The SG and FG are spot on and use the grist ratios as per the brewer from SN. I changed my hops significantly from what other clones have called for though. On the website it calls for 65IBU's (every clone recipe I looked at was hitting like 50IBUs). Let me know what you think in particular of the hops and the SRM (estimated 12.1SRM):

65.5 IBUs with no accounting for whirlpooling

11Gbatch @ 75% efficiency
(88.45%) 23lbs 12oz CM-2ROW (was considering using CM-PALE if the SRM should be slightly darker)
(11.55%) C60
57g Chinook @ 13% (60)
98g Cascade @ 5.5% (15)
49g Centennial @ 10.00% (15)
98g Cascade @ 5.5% (0 - whirlpool 10-15min)
49g Centennial @ 10.00% (0 - whirlpool 10-15min)
98g Cascade @ 5.5% (Dry hop)
49g Centennial @ 10.00% (Dry hop)

156F mash
Ferment 62F ramp to and hold at 68F
1056 yeast

Bought a case yesterday and had one last night! :mug: Quite tasty. But, it let me know my brews are coming along as I had one of my own Victory Hop Devils and I couldn't decide which I liked better.

I think you are looking at this recipe? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/jamil-show-tastys-sn-celebration-clone-176201/#post2213003

I'm also thinking of brewing this (perhaps tomorrow) but it requires me buying some Centennial vs brewing something else (English IPA?) and using the s_itload of hops I already have. One thing I like about this recipe is the starting fermentation at 62 degree's, which is just about perfect given my cellar is sitting at about 60...so easy to do.

Bought a case yesterday and had one last night! :mug: Quite tasty. But, it let me know my brews are coming along as I had one of my own Victory Hop Devils and I couldn't decide which I liked better.

I think you are looking at this recipe? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/jamil-show-tastys-sn-celebration-clone-176201/#post2213003

I'm also thinking of brewing this (perhaps tomorrow) but it requires me buying some Centennial vs brewing something else (English IPA?) and using the s_itload of hops I already have. One thing I like about this recipe is the starting fermentation at 62 degree's, which is just about perfect given my cellar is sitting at about 60...so easy to do.

The recipes are similar - but not the same. I went off the info on SN site, which was different than what the brewer said (I imagine he forgot or the recipe changes etc.) When I put the info in beersmith it came up low on IBUs. So I adjusted hops keeping them in ratios. I think I will brew this but I am low on cent. hops

I was going to brew this, but put it off for now.

Good to know your hard work on your brews is getting noticed! I love my home brew!

Is this thing gonna happen! Haha. I'm dying to do some brewing I might be forced to go to the hbs.....

Well, I knew my Victory Hop Devil keg was getting low. Today I have plans to brew, and also have a full keg of Mirror Pond being carbonated slowly at basement room temperature (60 degrees) as there was no space at the inn (my keg fridge) for it. So, I decided to put the rest in bottles this morning. After getting everything ready, I start the process and realize the VHD keg felt "really" light. When I go to do the bottling, I get ... about 1/4 bottle and then it kicks.

I'm so sad.

The good news is the Mirror Pond will be chilled in a day or so and I see it is already partially carbonated. I also have a primary full of Centennial Blonde Ale which has just about reached the expected final gravity (2 points away) in 3 days, and today is brew day - time to make a replacement IPA.

Well, I knew my Victory Hop Devil keg was getting low. Today I have plans to brew, and also have a full keg of Mirror Pond being carbonated slowly at basement room temperature (60 degrees) as there was no space at the inn (my keg fridge) for it. So, I decided to put the rest in bottles this morning. After getting everything ready, I start the process and realize the VHD keg felt "really" light. When I go to do the bottling, I get ... about 1/4 bottle and then it kicks.

I'm so sad.

The good news is the Mirror Pond will be chilled in a day or so and I see it is already partially carbonated. I also have a primary full of Centennial Blonde Ale which has just about reached the expected final gravity (2 points away) in 3 days, and today is brew day - time to make a replacement IPA.

head over to my place and help me kick two kegs... i have two lined up ready to go in.. (which i really want) and the ones in there just wont die.. hahah (not that is a bad thing, but still....)

I might have a source for cornie kegs. I recently found a guy that has at least 1000 laying around.... I stopped and asked what he wanted for some and he said $30/keg. Seems high to me though. I'm gonna go talk to him next week to see if I could get a price drop for buying a bunch. What do you guys think a fair price is?

i might be in for that!!!!!!!!!!! i think 30 is fair (if they are ball lock and seal/hold pressure), but if you talk to him and are able to get them down to 25 that would be awesome

if they are pin locks.... I think they are more reasonable at 15-25 dollar/ per not sure i dont use these

I will talk to him and see exactly what he has. I'm pretty sure he has both. I will post when I know more.

I might have a source for cornie kegs. I recently found a guy that has at least 1000 laying around.... I stopped and asked what he wanted for some and he said $30/keg. Seems high to me though. I'm gonna go talk to him next week to see if I could get a price drop for buying a bunch. What do you guys think a fair price is?

I was able to pick up ball locks (not reconditioned) for $20/each a few months ago. Four of the five I got worked great, the other one has a leaking relief valve. Even if they hold pressure, you would be wise to replace all the rubber gasket/seals, as you may not know what was in the keg (including diesel, insecticides, ...) or even if you absolutely know it was only used for soda things like root beer smell never come out.

I'd tell the guy that you might be able to get orders for a bunch (maybe 50-100 kegs?) if he can get the price per keg down to $20 or so. I know I'd buy another 5, maybe 10 at least.

Edit: As another poster said, knowing whether these are ball lock or pin lock is important. For example, I've got a bunch of ball lock QD (beverage and gas) and would have to figure more $ expenditure if pin-lock. Also, the dimensions vary (height and width) between ball and pin-lock.

2nd Edit: Given the person has 1k of these, I'd guess that his price per keg was actually VERY low. When I got the kegs earlier this year (at $20/each), that was the per keg price minimum 1 keg. If we are going to do a group buy of a decent number of these, we should be able to negotiate a better price. Maybe people could post how many they would want and at what price point. For instance, I would take:
4 @ $25/each
8 @ $20/each
20 @ $15/each

head over to my place and help me kick two kegs... i have two lined up ready to go in.. (which i really want) and the ones in there just wont die.. hahah (not that is a bad thing, but still....)

Thanks for the offer, but I have BEER to brew today instead of a 2.5 hour drive each way...too bad we don't have any grains to pick up today!

If you don't have much left in each keg, why not bottle it? I use this method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Thanks for the offer, but I have BEER to brew today instead of a 2.5 hour drive each way...too bad we don't have any grains to pick up today!

If you don't have much left in each keg, why not bottle it? I use this method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

dont have any empty bottles.. :rockin: all of them are full... haha

sadly my AB clone i think has gotten an infection in the bottles.. i thing this one might be getting dumped... :(

as to the kegs... if we get down to 15/per i would def be in for at least 10 prob more towards 15 even at 20 ill be in for 10, and for 25 6-8

id rather be brewing today, but i have to get windows back up and going on this.. i reinstalled windows 7 last night.... trying to get things back the way it was.... so i can install solidworks and get refeshed on that for my interview on tuesday.

The only problem with the keg deal is I live in Elmira... I would gladly make a trip to syracuse with a load but I doubt That I can transport 100+ haha

Ok I will stop by his place monday and get prices on 25, 50, 100 kegs. I personally would be in for 10+ so I really don't think we would have a problem reaching 100 if he is willing to work with the pricing.

I might grab a few kegs (ball lock) at a low price like that too (Maybe 2-4).

just brewed a double today; banged out the deception cream stoute and the amarillo IPA! started around 8:30a.m. and wrapped up at about 2:30pm. I was running solo and took a pretty leisurely pace, but it was a great brewing day, and great to finally brew!

Ok so here is the scoop, I did get the invoice, but the numbers look off and I think they screwed up the shipping (in our favor). But still no pallet lift and pallet jack and jhenderson would be looking at a long hand unload!

UPDATE
Anyway, we have to call them about the order to straighten things out. If the order is by some miracle correct here would be the pricing:

CidahMastah $284.08
Buffalo Brewer $510.21
Bierhaus15 $48.75
Jhenderson27 $116.08
Copyright1997 $258.21
CBK $144.71
rustbucket $268.71
twogunz $181.36
drocu $177.63
stunsm $159.10
Jeffb418 $309.42
jbsengineer $163.71
Smashing $110.76
Mparsons327 $235.71
gergelgat $68.00

note: the cost of bags of grain has gone up about 5-10$ per bag from last time. I assume this is a mistake. The shipping was actually way to cheap, and I think they left off a service. So I expect this number per person to go up a little bit unless they screwed up the pricing per bag.

so should i wait a tad longer to get the money to you? ill prob just give you cash at some point when we sort this out

Any Idea when this will be straightened out so I can send you a money order? Are we still looking at a delivery next week?

I might be in for a few kegs too, but I want someone to confirm that they're in good shape and hold pressure, I'm still a bit leary from the last time.

Back