SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ill jump on the carapils, i dont need the vienna, i dont use all to much of that....

for the same reason im with you, i have been using a ton of it.. for some reason.

Alright I will lock it in. Vienna I have used in one recipe so far, and victory malt. Still in the fermenter but smells amazing, so I was like... eh ha :)

i know well prob have another group buy towards the end of the summer, so ill prob get some of that then, if i still have money or if i get a job that is worth anything.

if i had a job right now it would be like game over.. here comes 5 more carboys for fermentation, fermentation chamber... everything hahahaha...

i finished up my brew stand this past week, i hard piped everything on it.... ill post a photo later on...

i finished up my brew stand this past week, i hard piped everything on it.... ill post a photo later on...

very cool - I am still trying to decide how I want to build mine. Keep going back and forth between designs.

36 Bags - only 6 bags to close the order

Splits requested:
Jhenderson
1. c20 (GW-C20) - 1/4 needs 2 people (brewdiver)
2. White Wheat (jhenderson to specify which) - 1/3 needs 2 people
BrewsCampbell
1. Baird Vienna (BD-VIEN) - 1/2 Needs 1 (cidahmastah (1/4) )
2. Canadian Malting's Rye Malt (CM-RYEM) - 1/4 Needs 3
3. Thomas-Fawcetts Pale Chocolate (TF-PCHO) - 1/4 Needs 2 (cidahmastah)

Try to get your friends to jump in, or participate in one of the remaining splits if you are in a hurry for your order - not sure how many other folks are out there contemplating an order but I believe the majority of folks have weighed in.

i know yours is electric, but i did mine as 2 burner 3 tier propane. i shortened my first tier form the original design because i switched from fly sparging to batch top of the pot was about 8 feet in the air... I made it all out of wood and recycled parts from my old grill. then everything is a a height i can gravity feed everything.. ill see if i can get a pic up later today. this weather is just making me really lazy.

next thing i want is a refactometer tho...

after looking at my grain "needs/wants" vienna is looking pretty good right now.

im deciding on what i want to do for this ipa brew.. and if i should add vienna to it, mind if i pm you with the recipe im tinkering with see what your thoughts are on it? if i add vienna to it, then ill prob get on that 1/4 sack.

i know yours is electric, but i did mine as 2 burner 3 tier propane. i shortened my first tier form the original design because i switched from fly sparging to batch top of the pot was about 8 feet in the air... I made it all out of wood and recycled parts from my old grill. then everything is a a height i can gravity feed everything.. ill see if i can get a pic up later today. this weather is just making me really lazy.

next thing i want is a refactometer tho...

after looking at my grain "needs/wants" vienna is looking pretty good right now.

im deciding on what i want to do for this ipa brew.. and if i should add vienna to it, mind if i pm you with the recipe im tinkering with see what your thoughts are on it? if i add vienna to it, then ill prob get on that 1/4 sack.

I am liking the 3 tier gravity, but I think I will hold off on a stand until I get a dedicated HLT or BK. Right now I am electric on all but my mash tun - that is direct fire if I need a boost at the 30 minute mark or adjustment at the start of the mash (I do electrically heat the strike water).

Refractometer's are cool for preboil gravity and S.G. and if you are into getting your first runnings/ second runings gravity - but they suck for F.G. Nice to have on the brew day though.

Yeah kick over the recipe - I might take a stab at that too. I think vienna would add nice color and character to an IPA. I also want to use it in a few german lagers.

I brewed a Nugget Nectar clone that had 2.5 lbs vienna in it and it came out great.... I don't think you can go wrong with Vienna in an IPA

I brewed a Nugget Nectar clone that had 2.5 lbs vienna in it and it came out great.... I don't think you can go wrong with Vienna in an IPA

is that the troeg nugget nectar? if yes - would you share the recipe? that is a tasty brew

it is! here ya go..
Troegs Nugget Nectar

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.062 SG
Expected OG: 1.073 SG
Expected FG: 1.017 SG
Expected ABV: 7.40%
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 92.2 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 8.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 1.26
Mash Efficiency: 75.00%
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins

Grain

German Pilsner Malt 8.5lb 65.20% 2.2 In Mash/Steeped
US Munich 10L Malt 2lb 6 oz 16.30% 4.3 In Mash/Steeped
US Vienna Malt 2lb 6oz 16.30% 1.5 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 5.00 oz 2.10% 3.4 In Mash/Steeped

Hop Schedule

US Nugget 12.20% 1.00 oz 33.2 Bagged Whole Hops First Wort Hopped
US Warrior 15.50% .50 oz 21.9 Bagged Pellet Hops First Wort Hopped
US Columbus 15.20% 1.00 oz 19.2 Bagged Whole Hops 15 Min From End
US Simcoe 13.00% 1.00 oz 13.3 Bagged Pellet Hops 10 Min From End
US Palisade 8.00% 1.00 oz 4.5 Bagged Pellet Hops 5 Min From End
US Nugget 12.20% 1.00 oz 0 Bagged Whole Hops At turn off
US Nugget 12.20% 1.00 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops In Fermenter
US Warrior 15.50% .50 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops In Fermenter
US Nugget 12.20% 1.00 oz 0 Bagged Whole Hops Dry-Hopped
US Warrior 15.50% .50 oz 0 Bagged Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped

Edit: used WLP 001

Would you say... "cloned?" looks like from the hops I will wait until the fall harvest because some of those are tough to get right now, but that will be a brew to go down when I get the hops. A grain eater!

only if we could do like x5-10 dme split.. haha... 5 dollar/lb is rediculess at the lbhs... and i only use dme for starters.. i figured i only need about 5lb for the year. hahah

only if we could do like x5-10 dme split.. haha... 5 dollar/lb is rediculess at the lbhs... and i only use dme for starters.. i figured i only need about 5lb for the year. hahah

I know I thought the same... I have been using my leftover wort for starters. It sucks buying DME for LHBS prices...

36 Bags - only 6 bags to close the order

Splits requested:
Jhenderson
BrewsCampbell
1. Baird Vienna (BD-VIEN) - 1/2 Needs 1 (cidahmastah (1/4) )
2. Canadian Malting's Rye Malt (CM-RYEM) - 1/4 Needs 3
3. Thomas-Fawcetts Pale Chocolate (TF-PCHO) - 1/4 Needs 2 (cidahmastah)

Try to get your friends to jump in, or participate in one of the remaining splits if you are in a hurry for your order - not sure how many other folks are out there contemplating an order but I believe the majority of folks have weighed in.

I'll take a 1/3 of the wheat, 1/4 vienna, and a 1/4 or 1/3 of the rye as well as my 2 pils.

Status

Splits requested:
Jhenderson
1. c20 (GW-C20) - 1/4 needs 2 people (brewdiver, WPStrassburg)
BrewsCampbell
1. Canadian Malting's Rye Malt (CM-RYEM) - 1/4 Needs 2 (WPStrassburg)
2. Thomas-Fawcetts Pale Chocolate (TF-PCHO) - 1/4 Needs 2 (cidahmastah)

NOTE - CidahMastah will go in for 1/4 share of Vienna unless someone wants 1/2.

Red Letters = Pending confirmation

WPStrassburg - good stuff and... I have it updated.

White wheat for me not C20

What's the chocolate like? I've used black and I think some normal chocolate but not pale. I'll prob be in for the last 1/4 if it's still open.

Glad to see this buy filling up so fast. I'm really stoked to brew a lot this summer.

TwoGunz said:
What's the chocolate like? I've used black and I think some normal chocolate but not pale. I'll prob be in for the last 1/4 if it's still open.

Glad to see this buy filling up so fast. I'm really stoked to brew a lot this summer.

I find tfs pale chocolate to be delicious. I put it in an oatmeal stout and it imparted light chocolate notes without any astringency or sharp dryness.

I find tfs pale chocolate to be delicious. I put it in an oatmeal stout and it imparted light chocolate notes without any astringency or sharp dryness.

You can also use the pale chocolate in something that you want to keep a lighter color, but give it some darker body. i.e. make an IPA a red ale color, color your rye brews slightly. It is like a less potent tasting chocolate like Brewscampbell is saying, so you can flavor with it without it overrunning the taste and color of your beer.

Good stuff brewdiver - got you down!

one spot left on the pale chocolate if you still want it.

Cidah - I'll take a 1/4 of the Pale Chocolate.........then I gotta stop!!

Haha - Trust me on this, you won't have buyer's remorse (not saying you should buy more). I think I speak for just about everybody when I say, once the order closes, you get your stuff, you start thinking... man I should have grabbed more of X or Y. Would be great to have this specialty on hand, etc. Not to mention since you have all the stuff right there, you just tend to brew more, and have more options.

WPStrassburg -UPDATED the status as per comments.

just a note to all - do check the status and let me know if I screwed up your request - even I can make a mistake ;)

JayMckeever said:
Haha thanks for the help cidah! It also doesn't help that my phone goes off for each email update on the site!

I will take the drive out...my car gets about 35 per gallon. I can pick up your keg as well.
your mailbox was full...couldn't get the PM through. Let me know if that works..how many sacks were you planning on?

Would u be able to include my sacks too? You'd save me a visit to the in-laws...ofcourse i'd help with gas/tolls too....if not, no problem.

Speaking of Kegs. Whos and how many am i picking up this weekend?

And how do we want to distribute distributions?

If the grain purchase is going dow soon do you want to just hang on to them Cidah and people can pick them up from you with their grain? I can work with people to get them out as well.

I have 3 kegs coming, and could pick them up when I get my grain if Cidah doesn't mind hanging on to them.

Speaking of Kegs. Whos and how many am i picking up this weekend?

And how do we want to distribute distributions?

If the grain purchase is going dow soon do you want to just hang on to them Cidah and people can pick them up from you with their grain? I can work with people to get them out as well.

No problem - they can be stored with me until the grain pick up.

I think, if you can, you are picking up all of them (pending payment confirmation from jhenderson). I think all the money was in except for brehuh?

5 kegs for me

Dannschuler - I will be around this weekend if you want to ditch the kegs. Just give me a ring or text to make sure I am at my house. My rents are in town, and we have a recital to go to (niece) and a dinner on Sat (~3pm-8pm). All that said - if you wanted to swing by and drop off, that wouldn't be a problem. Otherwise let me know what you were thinking and we can go from there.

Dannschuler, i have 2 coming if you would not mind picking up those for me. and when you go to cidahs just drop them off and ill pick them up from there.

Status
38 bags

Splits requested:
Jhenderson
2. White Wheat (jhenderson to specify which) - 1/3 needs 1 people (WPStrassburg)
BrewsCampbell
1. Canadian Malting's Rye Malt (CM-RYEM) - 1/4 Needs 2 (WPStrassburg)

Just an update - four bags to go - 3 in potential splits left.

How much are rice hulls?

I think last time, including shipping it was $20 a bag - which is a LOT of rice hulls. Most wheat 5g batches use .5 lb. So that is 100 batches. However they don't "go bad" - they are just hulls.

I ended up trading some of the hulls away to a buddy, otherwise I would offer to split up some of what I have. Maybe a 1/3 or 1/4 split is in order?

FYI another split

I was thinking about going in on flaked wheat if people are interested:

CidahMastah
1. GP-FLWHT - Flaked wheat - 1/4 needs 3

if you want some rice hulls, i can give you some for something.. i have so much.. ill never be able to use them all... maybe enough c120 to make an arrogant bastard clone? 1.5lbs of c120... for x-amount like 5lbs of rice hulls or somehting along those lines?

Back