SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to interrupt your beer tasting and discussion, but is there any interest for another grain buy sometime this summer? All my brewing of late has put a serious hurting on my grain supplies and I know a bunch of other people that are running short.

Also, anyone know if there is a place to rent a cider press in the area? I got a source for English perry pears and am looking to make maybe 10 gallons in late summer.

Not to interrupt your beer tasting and discussion, but is there any interest for another grain buy sometime this summer? All my brewing of late has put a serious hurting on my grain supplies and I know a bunch of other people that are running short.

Also, anyone know if there is a place to rent a cider press in the area? I got a source for English perry pears and am looking to make maybe 10 gallons in late summer.

hey no sweat - you know you are just as much a part of this thread as anybody else ;)

Not sure about grain interest - I haven't gotten any PM's asking since our last one. However - if we can get ~20-30 bags of tentative interest we could open a buy potentially. Post your interest to this thread if you have any on a new grain buy or splits. Once we get some interest accounted for I can start a new thread. I will have to check my stores, but I know personally I am pretty well good except for a few specialties (maybe).

We might have to change the payment process. But that remains to be seen (I will have to check with our buyer). We hit a stumbling block because they thought he was improperly using paypal and not paying fees. However that is a whole other issue.

As for the press, not sure on renting one. However, I do have a large press (I think I showed you it). Perhaps we could work something out (maybe a gallon or 2 of perry, or something else?). We would have to press at my house though, so that might be a little tougher to work around.

I have a sweet pear tree too. Not sure the variety, but possible that we could use for blending. Last year we had a bumper crop, probably 10-12 bushels at least. I think this year will be a smaller crop,... but still.

I'll see if I can drum up any interest with my brew club for another grain buy. I still have an 'in' at north country, so in the meantime I'll prob pick up a few sacks to last me a while.

The perry pears I found are supposedly from English rootstock brought over in the late 1700's for perry production. I am told they are very bitter, so I was planning on mixing them with some sweet pears from a tree I have at my parents place. Should be interesting. If I can't find a press, I'll be sure to let you know and we can work something out.

I'll see if I can drum up any interest with my brew club for another grain buy. I still have an 'in' at north country, so in the meantime I'll prob pick up a few sacks to last me a while.

The perry pears I found are supposedly from English rootstock brought over in the late 1700's for perry production. I am told they are very bitter, so I was planning on mixing them with some sweet pears from a tree I have at my parents place. Should be interesting. If I can't find a press, I'll be sure to let you know and we can work something out.

That is pretty wild about those pears. It will definitely be a very cool experiment. Once I try my hybrid perry/cider test I did this year I will let you know how it came out. Be warned though... pressed pears is a PITA compared to apples. They get gooey and it is really hard to get a good press out of them even with a good shredding.

I would love to even try one of those pears. I was going to buy pear trees for perry this year, but instead I held back and focused on my home apple orchard (have some good cider varieties in there though).

it wasnt mold but it was just the oils on form the hops, so i im happy about that... the sample i took was pretty good i chilled it and it was nice and bitter with alot of hops.. so it can only taste better when carbed up!

about the summer ale, if your going to wait until for a week or two to brew it, ill bring them out next friday to you, im leaving this firday and wont be back until wed, so ill throw the keg in teh fridge to get carbed up and it should be good to go when i get back.

Tell you guys what. I haven't heard back from the buyer - I asked him if it was still on the table to do a buy. Once I Hear back I will start a new thread and we can go from there. If it takes a few months or days to fill it we will let it ride. Before I start the new thread though - I want to confirm the buyer is still up for it.

Ok gents - order round 4 is open on this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/syracuse-ny-round-4-group-grain-buy-254303/#post3048712

Status will be maintained for the most part on post 2.

You must repost your order intent on this page, follow the instructions, let me know if you have questions. Once you post your interest on the new order page consider it final. If we can change your order, we will, but plan on placing the order once, and adding to it if you want splits or decide to get more. Please don't take bags out.

THanks!

Back