sweeten kegged apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babelfish

Reaction score
I took a stab at Edwort's Apfelwein recipe about 7 weeks ago. after 7 weeks in primary i transferred it into a keg and tasted it. I enjoyed the flavor, but others seem to think that its either to dry or bitter. I have no problem making it sweeter, but its already kegged and the carbonation is pretty good. Is there a way to back-sweeten the whole batch or should i just add the already carbed beer into other juices, like mixing a cocktail?
I primarily brewed this for friends and family so I would like to be able to make it sweeter to make them happy without all the mixing etc.., but im not willing to risk contamination or off flavors if there is a chance of that occurring... Any suggestions!?:confused:

The problem with sweetening is that you probably will kick of another fermentation, rather than getting sweeter, it will get more alcoholic.

Several options, mixing with juice at serving is one, or with a sugar syrup.

If you want to sweeten the whole batch, you'd add some potasium sorbate and metabi sufate, these will inhibit yeast growth, and then you can back sweeten with less concern about a renewed ferment.

I add a little sprite to the glass before pouring for folks that don't want it dry. Works like a champ!

I took a stab at Edwort's Apfelwein recipe about 7 weeks ago. after 7 weeks in primary i transferred it into a keg and tasted it. I enjoyed the flavor, but others seem to think that its either to dry or bitter. I have no problem making it sweeter, but its already kegged and the carbonation is pretty good. Is there a way to back-sweeten the whole batch or should i just add the already carbed beer into other juices, like mixing a cocktail?
I primarily brewed this for friends and family so I would like to be able to make it sweeter to make them happy without all the mixing etc.., but im not willing to risk contamination or off flavors if there is a chance of that occurring... Any suggestions!?:confused:

When I make a batch of Apfelwein, I usually sweeten with Splenda. Works great. I haven't made Apdelwein in a while, so I can't remember how much I use. I'll try an find my recipe.

WOW!! OK so i just let this age in the Keg a bit and now i love it! My wife loves it and I hate the M f'er Edwort! I had three glasses and woke up in the same spot 7 hours later with one hell of a headache! Time and patience was the only ingredients this needed

Back