Double IPA Sunny D IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@multipass82
FYI, 2015 Exp 7270 is available at farmhouse brewing supply now. Just got me a pound

I'm still trying to find time to brew this. Have all the hops but am afraid my 8g brew kettle wont handle it. Need to get a 10 or 15 gallon but the wife keeps nixing it.

I'm still trying to find time to brew this. Have all the hops but am afraid my 8g brew kettle wont handle it. Need to get a 10 or 15 gallon but the wife keeps nixing it.

You could always boil 1-2 gallons separate, cover and let it cool. Then use that to top off your fermentor

Good luck!

This is a beautiful beer. I substituted the Apollo hops for Galaxy because they just didn't smell right and I wasn't willing to chance it on some potentially cheesy hops. It has a great mango and citrus aroma. I can't wait to add the dry hop additions and get this on gas.

I didn't add the flour and this is hazy as can be. There was a huge amount of break material.

Thank you for putting this out there m00ps.

This is a beautiful beer. I substituted the Apollo hops for Galaxy because they just didn't smell right and I wasn't willing to chance it on some potentially cheesy hops. It has a great mango and citrus aroma. I can't wait to add the dry hop additions and get this on gas.

I didn't add the flour and this is hazy as can be. There was a huge amount of break material.

Thank you for putting this out there m00ps.

Hope it turns out well for you. I've got #6 impatiently cooling in the kegerator right now. I figure it'll need another week to calm down to where the hops aren't offensively fresh though.

I'd be curious to hear how yours is as soon as its carbed. I find its at its best about 2 weeks after kegging. Its immensely fresh and hoppy right after being carbed, but its much smoother after about 2 weeks

I still need to dry hop the beer, but right now it has an amazing flavor of mango and citrus. Its still hazy and bone dry. I can't wait to get this on gas. Maybe next week I'll keg it.

Just got me 8oz with some mosaic and Columbus and Apollo. Looking to make a dipa with the Ctz to bitter then all late additions of the mosaic, 7270 and Apollo. Wanted some Galaxy but they sold out fast.

I made a dank bomb amber IPA with 7270, Apollo, Summit and Columbus and it basically turned out exactly as I expected.

I do hope they keep 7270 around permanently. It's been in experimental status for more than 2 years now and I've even seen a few commercial breweries using it

I made a dank bomb amber IPA with 7270, Apollo, Summit and Columbus and it basically turned out exactly as I expected.

I do hope they keep 7270 around permanently. It's been in experimental status for more than 2 years now and I've even seen a few commercial breweries using it

What do you get from the 7270, they say tangerine so I'm hoping to get the tangerine from that with the mosaic berry flavor and intense dank and deep pungency from the Apollo.

Hi, I have a question about the sugar in the grain bill? Are you mashing the sugar or putting it late in to the boil? Also, are you mashing the flour?

What do you get from the 7270, they say tangerine so I'm hoping to get the tangerine from that with the mosaic berry flavor and intense dank and deep pungency from the Apollo.

I first read on some blog where they compared it to something like summer or Belma. I havent ever found this to be the case. The only time I got basically just fruit had small additions with no dry hop or large whirlpool.

I've gotten stone fruit tropical flavors from it, but its predominantly dank and citrus to me the later you add it. Dry hopping it smells very similar to fresh apollo with more fruitiness in the background

Hi, I have a question about the sugar in the grain bill? Are you mashing the sugar or putting it late in to the boil? Also, are you mashing the flour?

I always just add sugar into the kettle at flameout or right before it. It doesnt need to be mashed since its already all fermentable sugar. It just needs to dissolve.

The flour I've just dumped in with all my grains. Its definitely not absolutely necessary, but I still like the body and OJ looking haze it is able to produce

I always just add sugar into the kettle at flameout or right before it. It doesnt need to be mashed since its already all fermentable sugar. It just needs to dissolve.

The flour I've just dumped in with all my grains. Its definitely not absolutely necessary, but I still like the body and OJ looking haze it is able to produce

Awesome!! Thank you!!

I first read on some blog where they compared it to something like summer or Belma. I havent ever found this to be the case. The only time I got basically just fruit had small additions with no dry hop or large whirlpool.

I've gotten stone fruit tropical flavors from it, but its predominantly dank and citrus to me the later you add it. Dry hopping it smells very similar to fresh apollo with more fruitiness in the background

I hope it's not like Belma, tried that hop for the first time in my latest IPA along with centennial and Amarillo and I'm pretty underwhelmed by the combo. I think I'm just used to that citrus, juice dank profile I've been making lately and this is more grassy, herbal, floral, different but not my favorite. I love the thought of 7270 being a sticky, resinous, orange so the plan is to really amp that up and use Apollo and mosaic along side.

Got this brewed this morning. One of those brew days where nothing went right though. Not sure if it was the flaked oats or wheat but got a huge stuck sparge that took me forever to clear, a great boil over and missed my number completely (1.080) but still hoping for the best.

Got this brewed this morning. One of those brew days where nothing went right though. Not sure if it was the flaked oats or wheat but got a huge stuck sparge that took me forever to clear, a great boil over and missed my number completely (1.080) but still hoping for the best.

Just be sure to avoid as much oxygen as you can post yeast pitching and I'm sure it'll be alright. You make any modifications?

I've brewed this 5 times I think since I posted. I've made changes in the hops, but kept the yeast strategy the same.

I have entered this into 3 competitions so far though. They were in KY, IL, and TN and I walked away with 3 gold medals . Thanks for giving it a shot dude

Just be sure to avoid as much oxygen as you can post yeast pitching and I'm sure it'll be alright. You make any modifications?

I've brewed this 5 times I think since I posted. I've made changes in the hops, but kept the yeast strategy the same.

I have entered this into 3 competitions so far though. They were in KY, IL, and TN and I walked away with 3 gold medals . Thanks for giving it a shot dude

What category did you enter it in? Also, I'm confused on the yeast used. Did you start with a different yeast and finish with the saison?

I switched out the madarina hops for citra and added the saison yeast on day two. Its sitting at 1.09 today and I added the first dry hop addition. I almost cried taking a sample. The smell was heavenly.

wanted to say thanks m00ps. This came out fantastic and is easily the best beer I have had. I have started to get my wife in to IPA's and she just tried it and said it's the smoothest hoppy beer she has had.

Thanks again, even with my changes this turned out fantastic. can't wait to brew again with the right hops to compare.

BTW what category did you enter this in to? Imperial IPA?

This beer is fantastic. The aroma will knock you off your feet. I used galaxy to sub for the Apollo that I was out of. So the mango and grapefruit is intense. I can't wait to make this again. I need to size my batch size up to accommodate more trub loss on this beer for all the hops. Thank you for this recipe m00ps.

Super excited to brew this. What is the first yeast before the saison? It isn't mentioned in the recipe that I see.

Super excited to brew this. What is the first yeast before the saison? It isn't mentioned in the recipe that I see.

Are you looking at this thread on a handheld device? You need to load the desktop version of this website (or look at it on a desktop computer). Then you will see the following right at the top of the first post:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Conan or WY1318
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: WY3711 or Belle Saison, about half the size of the primary yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5

I used S05 for the primary yeast and Belle Saison for the secondary. The Saison yeast makes this bone dry.

How would the London ale 3 yeast hold up in this beer?

Prob flavor wise pretty well but the key to this beer is drying it out which is not really 1318's thing as it's a low attenuating yeast.. What I do because I like to use this yeast in dipas is add about 1/2lb of dextrose and then mash in the 148-150 range depending on what beersmith calculates the fg at. If you use 1318 the final product will be different than the intended recipe bacause it just won't be as dry or low in fg but it'll still make a great end product.

Loving the look of this recipe, thanks a million. Have ingredients on delivery and plan to brew tomorrow night. Unfortunately here in Ireland I've had to substitute some of the hops (and even one of the yeast as the store was out of stock).

Two quick questions, am I right from reading the comments on where these are put in:

9 lb 2 row - Mash
2.25 lb flaked wheat - Mash
2.25 lb flaked oats - Mash
0.5 lb acidulated malt - Mash
0.25 lb wheat flour - Mash
1.5 lb cane sugar - Boil

Secondly, I see it is mentioned "add another few tablespoons of flour during the boil", is that at the end of the boil (same time as cane sugar)? And is it literally 3 or 4 tablespoons, or should I keep all 0.25lb of wheat flour for the boil?

Thanks

Back