Double IPA Sunny D IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Conan or WY1318
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
WY3711 or Belle Saison, about half the size of the primary yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
around 1.078
Final Gravity
below 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
dont care
Color
orange
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2-3 wks in the mid 60s
Tasting Notes
huge nose, tastes like OJ (duh), stupidly hoppy, little bitterness, clean finish
Against the vehement protests of my friends, I decided to post this due to the number of PMs requesting it. Sorry for the hop shortage this year everybody. My bad

================Grains=====================
9 lb 2 row
2.25 lb flaked wheat
2.25 lb flaked oats
0.5 lb acidulated malt
0.25 lb wheat flour
1.5 lb cane sugar
================Hops======================
@30: 1 oz apollo
@10: 1 oz mandarina bavaria / 1 oz summer / 1 amarillo
@0: 1 oz mandarina bavaria / 1 oz summer / 2 oz amarillo / 2 oz apollo
@hopstand: 2 oz mandarina bavaria / 2 oz citra/ 3 oz Exp7270
@dry: 1 oz citra / 1 oz Exp7270
@dry2: 1 oz citra / 1 oz amarillo
@keg: 1 oz citra / 1 oz amarillo
===============Procedure====================
mash at 150F for 60min
mashout at 168F for 10min
boil for 60min
add another few tablespoons of flour during the boil
hopstand for 60min before chilling
add the hopstand addition around the 30min mark or once the wort drops below 180F
ferment in the low 60s, let rise to room temp a few days before packaging
dry hop 1 about a week before packaging
dry hop 2 3-4 days before packaging, add keg hops if bottling
================Notes======================
- This is not an IPA and it does not taste like one
- It is not advisable to use this amount of hops in a beer
- I use the flour just to get the beer permanently hazy and resemble OJ. Even in the keg, it will not clear. From a bit of research it looks like it adds around 0.001 to the OG. Feel free to leave it out
- In the boil, the flour can clump up. It helps to first dissolve it in a bit of hot water and add this mixture
- The yeast is a key component. It provides some fruity esters to work in tandem with the hops and has poor flocculation to help with the haze factor
- The saison yeast also is key. It gets it to attenuate down past 1.010 to get it super dry and refreshing, despite the abv. I've had some people tell me it is reminiscent of an easy drinking summer seasonal but way more flavor obviously
- I add the saison yeast pretty early into fermentation because I want some of the zippy citrus character from the 3711. You could just wait until 4-5 days for very little flavor impact if you want
- I used 85% expected attenuation due to the saison yeast
- I backed off the typical 60min bittering charge to account for the large hopstand. The hopstand does impart some small amount of bitterness and at these amounts, I've found it best to adjust the bittering addition. 1/2oz or so at 60min would probably work too, but I wanted a bit of flavor from the Apollo
- I've toyed with the idea of using Summit instead of Apollo. I had both on hand last time I made this, but my Summit had the infamous garlicky smell so I decided to save it. The cleaner Summit I've had before would work well as a sub for about anything here
- Any other citrus-geared assertive hop could be subbed for the EXP7270. I got a bunch cheap and love the profile

1218152342.jpg

1223151514a.jpg

Thank you

I think the one I sent you was a bit different from this one. Got lazy and just copy and pasted from a previous message so that was my previous version. They both turned out great though

So are you finding that even with low mash temp and sugar that Conan won't attenuate enough to hit the lower fg hence your need to add more yeast to primary.

So are you finding that even with low mash temp and sugar that Conan won't attenuate enough to hit the lower fg hence your need to add more yeast to primary.

Conan usually attenuates around 80% for me in my IPAs. Ive heard it can be a bit lower if its a first generation though. I think I should revise the 85% attenuation since I think it gets closer to 90% with the saison yeast. But by just using Conan alone, I haven't been able to get it below 1.010. The last 2 of these I did got to 1.006 and 1.005 with the saison yeast. This made them around 9.5% but was more drinkable than any DIPA Ive ever had

Conan usually attenuates around 80% for me in my IPAs. Ive heard it can be a bit lower if its a first generation though. I think I should revise the 85% attenuation since I think it gets closer to 90% with the saison yeast. But by just using Conan alone, I haven't been able to get it below 1.010. The last 2 of these I did got to 1.006 and 1.005 with the saison yeast. This made them around 9.5% but was more drinkable than any DIPA Ive ever had

Wow that's almost saison dry for an IPA.

Wow that's almost saison dry for an IPA.

Yeah, I really think that is the main thing that makes it so drinkable. I add the saison yeast at the same time because I like the flavors it adds, but you can delay pitching to minimize flavor impact if you want.

I saved some of them before the keg kicked and will be sending you one BTW along with the other stuff

Thanks m00ps! Can't wait to try it if there are any hops left!

I had the honor of trying one of these bad boys (at least it was the version before I believe) and I highly recommend trying this. Not too hoppy at all, very JUICY!

Yeah, I really think that is the main thing that makes it so drinkable. I add the saison yeast at the same time because I like the flavors it adds, but you can delay pitching to minimize flavor impact if you want.

I saved some of them before the keg kicked and will be sending you one BTW along with the other stuff

Awesome thanks.

I am so conflicted on the Saison yeast. Hate the flavor profile, but do love me some super dry IPAs.

nsr.gif

Id try adding a small starter a few days into fermentation then. Let the primary yeast lock in the flavor profile first and then add it

I had a beer I fermented from ~1.084 to ~1.008 with Irish ale yeast due to high cane sugar and low mash temp. Then added 3711 to get it to 1.003. It's all saison yeast flavor. Does Conan and the absurd amount of hops truly cover up some of the saison yeast flavors?

I had a beer I fermented from ~1.084 to ~1.008 with Irish ale yeast due to high cane sugar and low mash temp. Then added 3711 to get it to 1.003. It's all saison yeast flavor. Does Conan and the absurd amount of hops truly cover up some of the saison yeast flavors?

The hops pretty much cover up every bit of it each time I've made it. I am very familiar with the citric tinge in the finish that 3711 usually imparts though and ive at least convinced myself its there.

Sounds good to me. This probably will be the first recipe I copy 100%. Great work breaking traditional rules of brewing.

I'm guessing with over 1lb of hops in a 5 gal batch :) they'll cover up any other flavor so.

doing the 3rd brew of this sometime over the weekend. Got the starters going now. Grain bill is the same. Tinkering with the hop schedule and gonna try Meridian instead of Summer

No, its 5.5gal I can't do anything larger than like 6 gal on my system

@m00ps care to elaborate at all on the flameout/hopstand additions, or tell me if I am thinking on the right track.... So at 0 minutes, add the last additions and then cut the flame off? As for the hopstand what is your recommendation for this for temperature and time? Do I want to cut the flame off after the 0 min addition, then add the hopstand additions and just whirpool/let it sit without doing any cooling at all? Then cool it after a certain amount of time?

I know your use a hop spider during your boils you've mentioned, do you empty this and use it for your hopstand additions too?

I just leave all the hops in there the whole time. So I take that into consideration for stuff like the 10min addition since they will be sitting in pretty hot wort for a while, though not boiling hot.

I usually add the 0min, stop the boil, put on the lid, and turn on my pump for recirculation. With my old system, I just stirred with a spoon every now and then which had been sanitized in the boil.

I wait 30min or so and try to keep an eye on the temperature. Usually its at 170-180F by then, so I add the "hopstand" addition and let it go another 30min. I realize maybe I made a poor choice of words since the flameout addition was also hopstanded...

Sometimes itll cool quicker cause its cold outside and I open a window to let out moisture and heat from the boil. If theres anything very different, I go by the temp rather than time. I try to let the last addition have at least 20min before I start chilling though

I just leave all the hops in there the whole time. So I take that into consideration for stuff like the 10min addition since they will be sitting in pretty hot wort for a while, though not boiling hot.

I usually add the 0min, stop the boil, put on the lid, and turn on my pump for recirculation. With my old system, I just stirred with a spoon every now and then which had been sanitized in the boil.

I wait 30min or so and try to keep an eye on the temperature. Usually its at 170-180F by then, so I add the "hopstand" addition and let it go another 30min. I realize maybe I made a poor choice of words since the flameout addition was also hopstanded...

Sometimes itll cool quicker cause its cold outside and I open a window to let out moisture and heat from the boil. If theres anything very different, I go by the temp rather than time. I try to let the last addition have at least 20min before I start chilling though

Thanks for clarifying! Are you using a pump for whirlpooling with your system? More curious than anything, I'm about to purchase a 10 or 15 gallon spike kettle with some tax money :rockin: so looking at options.

Thanks for clarifying! Are you using a pump for whirlpooling with your system? More curious than anything, I'm about to purchase a 10 or 15 gallon spike kettle with some tax money :rockin: so looking at options.

Nice, I hope the kettle works out for you

I have a SS Chugger? (i think its called) pump and a whirlpool arm that just keeps things moving around in the kettle. I didn't used to have one, and I don't think its entirely necessary. I just needed the pump with the plate chiller I got when I went electric. It really was a cool switch to go from gravity draining to like 5x the speed

I really want to try this recipe soon I think. Doesn't look like Exp7270 is easily available anymore. Do you think Mosaic in it's place would work?

I really want to try this recipe soon I think. Doesn't look like Exp7270 is easily available anymore. Do you think Mosaic in it's place would work?

Farmhouse brewing supply has some still, though they are from 2014.

Farmhouse brewing supply has some still, though they are from 2014.

Yeah, I just got another lb. Ive gone through 2 already last year and they are still very fresh. Super pungent smell. Its so cheap right now there ($14/lb!!!) id act fast. IMO, they are up there with comparative IPA-geared hops that are +$20/lb

The 1LB shows as unavailable for me. I did just grab what looks like the last 8oz of it though in 4oz packages. Thanks!

The 1LB shows as unavailable for me. I did just grab what looks like the last 8oz of it though in 4oz packages. Thanks!

Oh crap, I actually mightve grabbed the last pound. I got the package yesterday from UPS. Hopefully, they release it again. Its a really great hop. I don;t think it would be too hard to substitute though

No problem. I got the 8oz of it, should be enough for a couple batches of this if I can get the first batch to turn out. Which I hope it does. I have been looking for something like this to recreate what I have been getting from the East Coast IPA's lately with that Orange Juice look and the juicy flavor. This recipe looks like it is going to give me that x10, can't wait.

Also, I usually just slow carb in the keg. With the keg hop addition, do you just drop those hops in, hookup the gas, put it in the fridge and call it good? Or do you have a process for the keg addition? I have never hopped in the keg before.

Also, I usually just slow carb in the keg. With the keg hop addition, do you just drop those hops in, hookup the gas, put it in the fridge and call it good? Or do you have a process for the keg addition? I have never hopped in the keg before.

I use a weighted-down muslin bag, tied to the outside handle of the keg with unflavored dental floss. The floss just goes up through the keg lid and doesnt prevent it from sealing. I have multiple CO2 tnaks and regulators, so my kegs will sit for a few weeks on the hops at room temp and 35psi until a spot opens up in the kegerator. I think you could put the hops in, fill, and chill/carb, but the hop character from the keg hops would take much longer to come through

I always use whole hops for my keg hops, but ive heard multiple people using pellets and having good results.

So I just kegged the most recent batch of this and its fully carbed now. I switched up a few things with the hop schedule but kept the grains and yeasts the same. Its not nearly as harsh as the last one at the time of tapping. The last one took a week of settling out hop material to not have an abrasive burn in the back of your throat.

It still needs a few days to calm down but man, its some potent stuff. Its got a pungent sticky resinous flavor in addition to the orange (likely from the exp7270 and apollo). IME, the flavor will shift more to orange in a few weeks. I might take a pic in a week or so for comparison

Ha know I was reading through other threads regarding flaked barley and how it's not used in light colored beers due to it causing a haze kind of like rye, if haze is what we're looking for in these east coast style beers would adding say 1/2 lb of flaked barley be a good idea to increase the haziness of the beer? So could this along with a low floccing yeast like Conan or London ale III plus a large dry hop get us there. The only thing I guess against it is that it seems that these breweries prefer wheat malt and flaked wheat over barley so maybe there's a reason they don't use it. Just thinking out loud here.

Hey FYI the 1lb is available now for just $14!

I just grabbed another pound since I dunno if it was even harvested in 2015 since I havent see anythign pop up. Dont worry, even though its 2014 harvest, the aroma at least is as pungent at its ever been. The hop is like a combo of amarillo and apollo to my tastes. Orange upfront with some peach and pear, then some dank that fades as the beer matures

@arnobg
According to my beer stained scribble sheets, it looks like I was saving my citra for something else for the last one I sent you. I used some meridian instead. I also had a lot of apollo on hand so after giving it a smell, I decided to use it in hopstand and dry hopping too. I wouldve liked to use more amarillo, but its so damn expensive nowadays. I did kinda like the dank edge that apollo gave in post-boil additions though. It definitely calms down as it gets older and gets more orangey.

I haven't messed at all with the grain bill since its so drinkable. SWMBO kicked the keg yesterday so I probably have to start scrounging up another load of hops

Latest posts

Back