Sunday Morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was intending to brew today. Grains milled and hops weighed last night, but the wind is just hard enough to make things difficult, so my brewday plans have now become packaging-day plans. Blending, bottling and kegging are now the main plan for today.

It is beautiful outside, though. Maybe I'll enjoy some of that later. I hope you all can, too. :mug:

Found a recipe for "Swineapple" so I figured I'd give it a shot. I found it odd that the recipe called for 4 hours at 375F, but in it went.

2 hours later, the internal temp of the pork I used is 87C, which is about 15 degrees higher than necessary. The bacon that was wrapped around the pineapple is disintegrating. (oddly, not burnt and black, just....disappearing) So I turned the heat down to 150F to keep it warm while waiting for dinner time. In about an hour I'll prepare some smashers (mashed potato with bacon bits and shredded cheese), and also some bacon gravy for the whole shebang.

Heart attack on a plate, but it should be tasty :)

Found a recipe for "Swineapple" so I figured I'd give it a shot. I found it odd that the recipe called for 4 hours at 375F, but in it went.

2 hours later, the internal temp of the pork I used is 87C, which is about 15 degrees higher than necessary. The bacon that was wrapped around the pineapple is disintegrating. (oddly, not burnt and black, just....disappearing) So I turned the heat down to 150F to keep it warm while waiting for dinner time. In about an hour I'll prepare some smashers (mashed potato with bacon bits and shredded cheese), and also some bacon gravy for the whole shebang.

Heart attack on a plate, but it should be tasty :)

Pork, plus extra bacon, potatoes, cheese, and more bacon, and some yummy pineapple, too? You, sir, win the Sunday thread.

It was very much a hit, with two minor complaints: The bacon was gone, and the BBQ sauce that was on the bacon is now a liquified greasy mess at the bottom of the pan. Next time I"ll put the sauce IN with the pork tenderloin. So no bacon, and no BBQ flavour.

The bacon gravy did the job, though.

Sunday morning sunny and warm... Watered the hops and container gardens, cooked up a yummy veggie omelet, and getting ready to visit a small boutique farm here on Long Island for a strawberry festival. I trust your day is shaping up nicely as well.

Whereabouts on the island? I'll be back down to the north fork again in the beginning of August. We'll hit up many of the local farms for fresh produce and wine when we're down visiting.

Had a day full of family time today. Watching the kids swim, then had family over for a nice steak dinner. Can't ask for a better Sunday!

My computer's hard drive finally went Saturday morning. Spent time trying to fix it till today with Gateway disc & Windows 7 repair disc. Nada, zippo, zilch...it's fubared. Sharon & our middle son off to Best Buy to get me a new all-in-one! Cool throw-back to the old days when we used to out-do each other on gifts. I just hope my programs I saved on external drive will work on windows 10 new one?

My computer's hard drive finally went Saturday morning. Spent time trying to fix it till today with Gateway disc & Windows 7 repair disc. Nada, zippo, zilch...it's fubared. Sharon & our middle son off to Best Buy to get me a new all-in-one! Cool throw-back to the old days when we used to out-do each other on gifts. I just hope my programs I saved on external drive will work on windows 10 new one?

WOndering how this went...?

I love my iMac Core i7 27"
BUT I also love Windows 10 on my Core i5.

I'm the kind of guy that needs it all. iPads, Android tablets, etc. So I'm just curious how your migration goes so I might lean one way or the other.

Well, instead, they got me an HP Pavilion with Windows 10 1511 (newest build), 6th gen i3 quad core @ 2GHz, 1T hard drive, card slots, USB ports front & back, & a 23" HD+ monitor. that makes it way easier for me to see everything on the screen, even sitting back in my coil-sprung Serta leather Executive chair. The external 2T WD drive has the USB cable color-coded blue, which is USB 3.0. Way faster in this computer, which uses both USB 2.0 & 3.0! Files transferred completely, but it took some doing to learn Wn10 to get them all in place & working. I had to click on the start menu, then " File Explorer" to get to documents, pictures, etc. It even displays the external drive stuff in the left-hand column. But the drive, memory stick, etc still has to be plugged in to access them. Like visual place holders? Finally got Beersmith recipes reinstalled yesterday. Got my codes back to sign in to BS's cloud to get them back. I still have my external files in document folder to mess with.
I uncovered a new thrill in Paint.net on a new book cover for the one from June that didn't get saved to external back up. Wow, this new cover is clearly my best art effort yet! I drew this 800 X 1000 pixel picture, sort of a psychedelic Picasso kind of thing. Sunflower yellow background, with red & fluorescent green wiggly lines in a sunburst pattern. A free-form design in red, amber-orange & ice blue in the center. Some CBS-style eyes in vertical & horizontal around that, it red, green & ice blue around that, the colored lines sowing through. Then I started playing around with different effects, playing with the sliders. Then, I came to Julia Fractal,...& got this!...

Sort of like if, you could see how the neurons & synapses in the brain bring thoughts & images together during REM sleep...what would it look like? This one is mainstream, but still in my inimitable style. iow, a normal romance novel, but from the male point of view. Went through a lot of crap versions, some 3-4 books worth, to get to this one. It'll be good, I think? Nobody writes these from the man's point of view?

I was going to bottle a chocolate vanilla stout this morning, but I got called in to work to set up Algonquin College's convocation over at the Canadian Tire Center, so I went and did the bottling last night.

So my plans this morning? Drive a 5 ton truck that feels like it might be too heavy (who needs that many books for a convocation?) and go set up at the college where I didn't even attend my OWN graduation.

Had a early morning sermon, tea with people ar church and bottled a bit of catawba wine that finished bulk aging. If all goes well, might brew a scottish ale later today.

Went to see my stepfather this morning with a card and a gift certificate. Went to church and wished Father Bill a happy Father's Day. Took my lovely wife sailing, drove a friend home from the harbor who knew he'd had too many. Heard from all of my (step) children. Talked to my dear friend's father, he said it was like early Christmas to hear my voice.
This was a pretty great day.

Slept in until 7:20AM for a change. Got some more beer bottle collection labels dried & stacked up to flatten atm. Waiting on some coffee on a cool, sunny Sunday morning. Have a good one, y'all! :mug:

A nice quiet morning, woke up about quarter to 5 and could not get back to sleep so I got up and had a nice cuppa while spending time planning my holiday stout. Maybe a mid morning nap will do...

Good Sunday morning everyone. Today is dawning cool and clear with the likelihood that we reach 90*+ again today. I have some yard work to get done this morning, then I'm going to try to talk the wife into doing some tastings somewhere.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

Something in the built-in spell checker messed up too bad yesterday & got so bad it was locking up anything on websites to do with left-clicking. Then the HP support tech set the computer to restore to 7/1, & said goodbye. It failed. So I had to do everything manually...some at a snails pace once initiated. Took me till past 3:30AM to get to where I could shut down & get some sleep. Ha! No rest for the weary. I couldn't sleep at all last night. Still need newer BS2 recipes to reassociate, which I cannot do. Waiting on e-mail reply to get back to the recipe for the Mumme. Damn HP techs...I'm definitely Freddie Flameout today!

This Sunday morning is dawning cool and cloudy. We had a little rain here in Western New York yesterday, but are far below our usual rainfall amounts. Rain again today would be a welcome thing, even though we have our daughter, son in law, and grandson here for the weekend. I am sure there will be enough rain free time for the UTV to get several miles put on it keeping the little one entertained.

There is lots that needs doing today. The weeds seem to be the only thing growing in the garden, other than the green beans. If we don't spend a little time getting after the weeds every day then we will fall too far behind to keep up. The wife picked, snipped and canned three canners full of beans yesterday and there are more ready. I still have about half a dozen dead pine trees that need cutting and two cherry trees that need planting. The MG could use some attention paid to the rear brakes before we take it out again, the old tractor needs a set of points, the chicken coupe has been over run by raccoons, the mower has a flat tire, and the list goes on and on.

First thins first though, blue berry pancakes with real maple syrup, eggs, bacon, sausage links and some strong coffee are needed to get this day started right.

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!

:mug:

Working in an IPA for a friend (he does not know) Working with ingredients that he likes and trying to come up with a Citra-Mosic IPA. Got this so far.

Whirlpool additions are actually 40 min, but they are at 170°F, so I do not like beersmith's calculations for bitterness at this point - at least perceived bitterness as far as I am concerned. Maybe they are spot on, but I can only work with perceived bitterness as I do not have a test lab, but do have tastebuds

citmo.jpg

This Sunday morning finds me cool & comfortable with my new window A/C unit. Room is now down from 85-105F to 67F. Gonna check internal temp of Mumme in a while. Cooler temps should finally get it to settle out clear.

I might brew today, I have everything I need to do so including a yeast stater that's sitting and spinning on the stir plater. Then again, I might just do it tomorrow....

I have a couple HB bottles to clean. A few more to save the labels from for my collection I'll be mounting in 18 x 24 poster frames. Trading the extras labels, & a few extra coasters I have from the UK & such.

I woke Sunday mornin' no way to hold my it didn't hurt.
and the beer i had for breakfast, wuzzint bad. so i had one more for dessert...
( kris kristoferson sp )

Brew coffee. Check fermentor- no action from the WLP080 I pitched at 1AM yet. Watched This Week, so I'm informed about the political circus, then made a late breakfast.

image.jpg

This Sunday morning dawned cooler and raining, a rare occurrence this summer. We have already received more rain this morning than we have seen since the first of July. It's supposed to rain all day today. Picking and canning our bumper crop of tomatoes will likely be pushed off for another day, as will mowing the lawn.

Breakfast consisted of last nights cold pizza. It was a wood oven fired creation by our favorite pie shop. Not our typical Sunday morning spread but just as good.

I have a woodworking project that I need to get moving on in my workshop, so it looks like today may be spent out there. Then again, my wife just suggested checking out a new micro brewery about an hour and a half away. I guess we'll have to see.

I hope everyone enjoys whatever their Sunday brings.

:mug:

Saison season. Making 3G farmhouse ale this am and when that racks to the keg I will use the yeast for a cottage ale. At that point my 3G kegs will be full. Then I'll need to fill two 5G kegs.

1st Sunday in September & here I am working; only about 30 mins to go till my shift ends. After work I'll be grillin' & chillin' and doing laundry. I can smell autumn in the air, though it's technically a ways off yet. There is snow forecast for higher elevations in some parts of the state, but I'd be happy with a bit of rain here in the valley. Currently 46*F, should be a nice day as long as there's no big wind. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Regards, GF.

Getting saddled up to go camping. One joy of retirement, camp during the week and after Labor Day! Door County Wi, supposed to rain first part of the week, but we have an A-frame pop up and raincoats, and we're planning on eating at the local places anyway. As long as it's not severe....

Also frantically planting things I started this spring that never made it into the ground yet, wildflowers kind of things. It's been so nice and cool! And dry! 5 days without rain!

I've been busy shooting video while restoring an old Crosman model 160 Pellgun I found in my closet. 1955-56 variant 1 model in .22 caliber. Great small game gun that uses 2 Co2 Powerlets for about anything up to turkeys. I shot & posted 2 videos this weekend, including yesterday. Trying to get the hand-rubbed oil finish on the stock done. Gonna take apart the barrel/receiver/Co2 pressure cylinder today.
My batch of Mumme is settling out clear pretty slowly. All those gruits seem to make a really foggy mess that takes awhile to settle out?! So, I drank coffee & puttered around in the man cave most of the cool, sunny day. A very pleasant Sunday indeed! Had beer & tequila Friday to kick off the blue-collar holiday weekend!! :tank:

I haven't brewed since we moved to the island last November. I've been using the mini fridge I brought for fermentation as a beer fridge & it's been living on the porch of our condo.

Last night, I unplugged it so I could start reconfiguring the chilling plate and air circulation fans for fermentation.

I didn't realize until I went to work on it this morning that the chiller plate is covered in an inch of ice.

Maybe I can get it defrosted by nightfall.

Back