Sunday Morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it's been said, but my typical Sunday morning - as told by JC. Well, I woke up Sunday morning, With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt. And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, So I had one more for dessert. Then I fumbled in my closet through my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt.

None of these are as fun as Hammerschlagen.

I forgot to tell you- I did Hammerschlagen with Zamial (remember him, from Green Bay?) and Dave, the head brewer, at the brewery he works at, for Oktoberfest. It was cool- even the Burgermeister was there. (The mayor of Green Bay).

The thing is, those little nails are small, and they got smaller after every beer.

IMG_1256.jpg

I didn't know about a urinary catheter? Those look & sound nasty...

Had a hip replacement on my 20th bday (13 years ago in about a week). Didn't know about the whole catheter thing beforehand either. I agree with the advice to get strong now, it will help later and improve recover! Also a piece of advice - try to avoid waking up randomly in the night with night-wood if you have a catheter. Maybe more of an issue when I was 20, but still makes me shudder a little.

I forgot to tell you- I did Hammerschlagen with Zamial (remember him, from Green Bay?) and Dave, the head brewer, at the brewery he works at, for Oktoberfest. It was cool- even the Burgermeister was there. (The mayor of Green Bay).

The thing is, those little nails are small, and they got smaller after every beer.

View attachment 354907

Yes, how could I forget Zamial!?

They had this 2 yearsa go at Siciliano's Supply Shop Homebrewer Appreciation Party. It was really fun to start with, but yes, after a few beers, it gets even better!

I gotta cut a chunk off my downed Boxelder tree and see if it will work for this. I bet the guys at the club would like playing it.

I've found two ways to play. One of them is where you try to pound in someone else's nail before yours gets pounded in. If you start winning, suddenly YOUR nail is the target for everyone else's hammer!

Drinking heavily, throwing 3# hammers in the air, attempting to catch flying 3# hammers, and then drive a nail; sounds only slightly less dangerous than getting really drunk and trying to fly by jumping off the barn roof. :smack::rockin::drunk::goat::taco:

I have to try this.:D

Drinking heavily, throwing 3# hammers in the air, attempting to catch flying 3# hammers, and then drive a nail; sounds only slightly less dangerous than getting really drunk and trying to fly by jumping off the barn roof. :smack::rockin::drunk::goat::taco:

I have to try this.:D

Your thoughts mirror mine. How could we both be wrong. Lolol.

Yeah, thinking back after surgery, I went anemic and had to get some blood, so they apparently had to "monitor all fluids in and out" very precisely. I remember thinking - I can pee in a damn jar, but they insisted it was "protocol". Again - that was 13 years ago. Sounds like you're in the clear, nonetheless. [emoji16]

This Sunday morning is again dawning cool and overcast. It seems that the summer doesn't want to show it's self around here yet. I need to get some mowing done, the rest of the garden needs to be planted, the golf cart needs to be repaired, the shop needs cleaning, it never ends. Lots of things need to get done but I think I will go visit my grandson instead. Some things are just more important than getting your chores done. ;)

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!

:mug:

Sunday...

Welp, I haven't had a drink since Wednesday night... not really craving one... and I'm not sure I should even have one today... Lots of stuff to do around the house, I might get lazy if I start drinking on a Sunday.

To tell you the truth, I feel pretty Meh this morning. I'm not fired up, ready to go, just curl me up back in bed, that's what I'll do...

I thought a short 4 days alcohol free period would detoxify me, make me feel great, lose weight! Nah. Now I'm hungry, I feel like I need a double expresso, OH and it's SOOO fuc*in' hard to fall asleep. I never noticed how much noise the damn dishwasher makes at night, and SWMBO's fishtank.........................................................................

Think I'll head to the store this morning, load up the frig with 3 shades of beer, and say we did it for science ;)

Drinking some really $hitty @ss coffee...

SWMBO wants fish cakes for dinner today so I"m going to the local Vons so see what's chillin' there, make from scratch.

Over 3 weeks before the first day availability of our rental property on AirBnB and we already have 3 bookings! So there's lots of clean up to do there, and clean up in my brew shed.

The electrician is coming over on Thursday to approve my master plan to sub panel the brew shed with 100amps so I can run a 50amp 240v brewhouse one day. Also in the plans are electricity considerations for 30amp RV service, 4 fermenters, yeast lab, negative pressure fan setup for yeast lab, ac ports, and greenhouse tap (ALL GFCI). This means I need to dig a trench to lay pipes soon...

I ate monkey bread for the first time in the break room...

Hope you have a fantastic Sunday!

Heading outside to start a pale ale. Going to bitter low, and whirlpool a bunch of miscellaneous half-ounce-of-this-half-ounce-of-that hops that are hanging around.

Looks like it will be a nice day, so maybe some yard work will get done today.

I suspect I'll make some chili dogs for lunch, and ribs for dinner.

But, truth be told, I really don't feel like doing a damn thing today.

Hope everyone else has a great day.

Spent my last $10 (what the hell I just got paid two days ago) on bacon, eggs and sausages, and made a BIG breakfast. Since the weather forecasts a high of 33 with a humidex of 39, i'm not leaving the house today. I'm not built for that kind of heat. I kinda miss the -60 winters.

Just got back from the beach and having a Flying Jenny. Air was about 75 with a gentle 3 MPH breeze, water to was 58 and it felt great after bumping the volleyball around for 20 minutes. Plan on going to an art show in the park later and possibly taking the canoe out on the salt pond when the tide comes in!

Memphis style ribs use a mildly spiced rub with brown sugar in it. I let it soak up meat juices on the ribs to melt the sugar/spice mixture into the meat, then into the pit for some 3 hours.
The rice pilaf consisted of bell pepper, red & white onion, & celery sauteed, then 2C of white long grain rice with 2C chicken stock, & 2C beef stock. When done, mixed with this mojito something or other sauce from chicken thighs in crock pot to make a sort of risotto. Had some roasted fresh corn with it too.

Good Sunday morning everyone. Here in Western NY it is dawning warm, 68*, and cloudy. The weatherman claims that it may or may not rain. That helps a lot, thanks Mr. Weatherman.

I'd like to start my morning with a good breakfast of sausage gravy and biscuts. However, I have an insurance health check late this morning. :mad: Really, Sunday morning.

I have one pine tree cut down and seven more that are dead or dying and need to go. I'll spend the morning cleaning up the mess I have already made and get ready to make a bigger mess. Then I hope to spend the afternoon with my Daughter, Son in Law and grandson.

My nephew called this week and asked if we could brew another batch of IPA. I guess the last one was a big hit with his college buddies and he would like to brew a couple more batches with me before he starts his own home home brewing career. :) We brewed an all grain IPA last time, but I think I'll brew an extract batch with him to show him that you don't need the huge pile of equipment that I have to make a quality home brew.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

:mug:

This morning finds me sipping some coffee, listening to some Sinatra, (Come Dance With Me - 1961), and wondering what I feel like doing today. Since I can't come up with anything, I think I'll make it a beer-centered day.

I have a couple beers that need transferred to secondary, some barleywines that need blending and bottling, an IPA that needs kegged, and have a pale ale to brew. I know I won't get all of them done, but it gives me a nice pool of things to chose from today.

I wish you all a beautiful Sunday.

Heading out to lake Tawakoni today with the fam (east of Dallas area, but bot not quite E. Tx), to visit the in-laws. Sunny and mid 80's. I foresee smoked meat and beer in my near future. Enjoy the day, everyone!

Our youngest son Graduated high school/LCJVS yesterday at the restored old Palace Theater in Lorain. Made a little slideshow video with some history too...gotta wait for photobucket to process it...

It's a cool and foggy morning here on California's central coast. The whole family is a bit slow in waking up today as we were out at a music festival all day yesterday. Got the coffee brewed and breakfast in the oven. Have a busy day for the home brewery...

• Have an oak-aged Acerglyn that I need to keg
  • Also have a hard kombucha kriek that needs kegged
  • I have a mango apricot cider that is ready to be cold crashed
  • Then I've got another cider that I need to dry hop with Citra and Simcoe
  • I have a sour blonde that needs to be racked off onto some oak
  • Then I'm brewing a sour red that is going in the same fermenter that was used for the blonde (re-using the yeast cake)
  • Lastly I've got 3-4 recipes that are scribbled across a few different note books that I need to get into Google docs

Then I get to fire up the grill to cook up some BBQ chicken, brats, and corn on the cob for dinner. We'll see if there's any energy left after that for the wife and I to catch up on some of our shows on Netflix, or if we'll just do the usual thing and listen to the radio for a bit before falling asleep.

Hope everyone enjoys their Sundays!

Well, the video fits the rules for photobucket, it just won't finish reviewing or whatever? So I'll try it from facebook? *I even got nailed on YouTube for pomp & circumstance from Fiedler & RCA! Every song that's free isn't when it comes to my " The Driver's Eye" vids? I'm not letting someone else monetize my videos when I'm not making a dime of them!
https://www.facebook.com/leonard.cogar1/videos/1101702089889969/?fallback=1

Letting my Sunday brunch digest a bit before heading to the gym. It's overcast and I just heard a downpour, could be a good day to bottle a Belgian special that's done.

Beautiful sunny,breezy day. Did some garden and yard work this morning. Next I will uncork several chilled bottles of wine. This is so I can let them warm up and freakin' de-fizz! Last night I went into the cool storage room to check on the fermenting brews, looked down and saw a cork on the floor at my feet. Bad omen. Sure enough, one of my apple wines decided to become carbed and spewed its contents, shooting the cork about 10 feet. Checked my notes, it was down to 1.000 for several days when I bottled. Fortunately there were only four corked bottles of that. Yeesh.

Last edited:
Took the a-holes (dogs) for a long walk - they've been sleeping ever since. Did a single step infusion on the Picobrew to finish off the Gose I've had souring and boiled the two together - first 5 gallon batch I've done since.... 2010? Set the picobrew off on an attempt at an Art of Darkness clone. Currently pasteurizing a Berliner Weisse (both the Gose and the Weisse are made with WLP 672 Lactobacillus Brevis) and I just ordered enough extract to make 3x3 more batches. Discovered my CO2 Distribution block has a stripped fitting (it got wet and I noticed it was leaking - wonder how much CO2 I lost...) and I doubt that our shop has NPT helicoils - fingers crossed though.

Got some cleaning to do. Need to figure out how to pasturize the 3-gallon kegs that I had the sours in.

Sunday morning sunny and warm... Watered the hops and container gardens, cooked up a yummy veggie omelet, and getting ready to visit a small boutique farm here on Long Island for a strawberry festival. I trust your day is shaping up nicely as well.

Brewing a pilsner on herms. Just discovered airleak on line feeding wort pump! Glad i checked. Gonna try to mow the grass too!

Back