Sunday Morning Setlist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merry Christmas to all!

Starting off this morning late.

Melissa Etheridge - A New Thought for Christmas (2008)
Los Lonely Boys - Christmas Spirit (2008)
Home Free - Full of Cheer (2014)
Dean Martin - A Winter Romance (1959)
Asylum Street Spankers - A Christmas Spanking (2001)

Happy New Year! Quiet around the house this morning, with some background cool jazz while I work on computer projects. Had a great early NYE dinner with the wife at a local pub. Five courses, each paired with a local or craft beer. Then spent the next 5 hours trying to keep the animals calm with some neighbors shooting off fireworks.

Wife spends New Years day with her sister going to movies, I traditionally work in my greenhouse, planting seeds and transferring seedlings from my daylily breeding project... and drinking a couple beers!

Loading up the following 2016 albums that made MY "best of" list:
Bell X1 - Arms
Bob Mould - Patch the Sky
Carrie Rodriguez - Lola
Dawes - We Are All Gonna Die
Drive-By Truckers - American Band
Hiss Golden Messenger - Heart Like a Levee
Maren Morris - Hero
The Jayhawks - Paging Mr. Proust
The New Mastersounds - The Nashville Session
The Suffers - The Suffers

I just got home from work, and aren't exactly sure how I feel. I know I'm tired, hungry, and would like to get some things done around the house. However, I could just as easily sit around, do nothing, and probably nap.

In an effort to be productive, I'll go with the following, and hope it works:

Black Sabbath - Headless Cross (1989)
Whitesnake - Slide it In (1984)
The Darkness - Permission to Land (2003)
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind (1983)

Brewing this morning, and rather than pick through my collection, I just put on Pandora, my Count Basie station.

Some highlights thus far were Frank Sinatra, Duke Ellington, Gene Krupa, and Benny Goodman.

Missed last week, too many "start of the Spring semester activities" for this old(er) teacher. Besides all the school drama (Principal took a new position, Superintendent resigned/retired/was fired) and new class loads, it's County stock show time here in N. Texas. Judged two different horticulture/floral shows. If anyone ever tells you kids today don't do anything today or are lazy, search out a local FFA chapter. Great kids with dedication to their passion.

A High and Lonesome sound this morning:
Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys - The Very Best of.... (2002)
Alison Krauss & Union Station - So Long So Wrong (1997)
John Hartford - Aero Plain (1971)
New Grass Revival - New Grass Revival (1986)

We will see what this afternoon brings, I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday morning!

+1 to FFA. I dipped my toes in when I was a youngster, many years ago. While I've traveled a different path in life, I do spend the growing season coaxing a productive life out of herbs and vegetables.

Brewing a brown ale this morning, and have picked the following to keep my ears occupied:

Counting Crows - August and Everything After (1993)
Deep Blue Something - Home (1995)
Jackyl - Jackyl (1992)
Damn Yankees - Damn Yankees (1990)
Faster *****cat - Wake Me When It's Over (1989)

Edit: I had to have a chuckle at the censoring of P u s s y c a t

Hopefully, Day 2 of a productive weekend. Woke up extra early yesterday to bottle 6.5 gallons of an old porter recipe (circa 1987). Was one of the beers that the wife and I enjoyed together back in the day. Extract with steeped grains, we will try a bottle in 7-10 days. Still trying to get my routine back after not brewing for almost 20 years.

Spent the next 12+ hours getting my 20' x 14' greenhouse fully operational. Last May, I slipped a disc and had to abandon the greenhouse without a proper summer shut down. Dead plants, weeds, insects, non-functioning heater, balky ventilation system, general filth. Yesterday was the culmination of a 6 week process of getting EVERYTHING ready to go. Today, I'll start tomato, pepper and herb seeds for the year! I'll have lots of room since I didn't hybridize my normal 3000-4000 daylily seeds/seedlings. I usually start 10-15 different tomato and pepper varieties, lots of heirlooms, plenty of extras for neighbors and friends and to sell at our FFA plant sale at the end of March. Feeling country this morning, so here we go:

Ernest Tubb - The Definitive Collection (2006)
Delbert McClinton - The Definitive Collection (2006)
Hank Williams Sr. - 40 Greatest Hits (1978)
Dolly Parton - The Ultimate Dolly Parton (2003)
Emmylou Harris - Pieces of the Sky (1975)

Fantastic selections. In an slightly related coincidence, I just saw Ernest Tubbs nephew(?), Lucky Tubb perform last month.

I'm having a ton of trouble making decisions this morning, so a short list for now.

Mike Ness - Cheating at Solitaire (1999)
John Mellencamp - Scarecrow (1985)
Eight to the Bar - Beat Me Rocking! (1995)

Day two of a double brew weekend (I accidentally bought ingredients for an 11gal batch instead of 5.5).

My go to Pandora station for years has been Son Volt. It includes:

James McMurtry Johnny Cash Credence
Steve Earle Wilco Radiohead
Ryan Adams Uncle Tupelo Arcade Fire
Drive By Truckers War on Drugs Whiskeytown

I've pumped out hundreds of gallons of beer jamming to this station.

Crack,
Sounds like an excellent option, don't use Pandora much, sometimes at work. I'm old school with CD's, vinyl, Mp3, Reel to Reel (Dad's old Jazz that I converted to digital)...Crappy wifi in the barn and greenhouse doesn't help. You might want to check out The Bottle Rockets, Dave Alvin, Hiss Golden Messenger, Jason & the Scorchers, Lucero and the Old 97's...Love me some Americana/Roots Music

Timmy

Crack,
Sounds like an excellent option, don't use Pandora much, sometimes at work. I'm old school with CD's, vinyl, Mp3, Reel to Reel (Dad's old Jazz that I converted to digital)...Crappy wifi in the barn and greenhouse doesn't help. You might want to check out The Bottle Rockets, Dave Alvin, Hiss Golden Messenger, Jason & the Scorchers, Lucero and the Old 97's...Love me some Americana/Roots Music

Timmy

+1 for the Old 97's.

Timmy

I'm a big Lucero fan. I've been lucky enough to see them several times. They, as well as the Old 97's I discovered from the Son Volt Pandora chanel.

I also like Hiss Golden Messenger.

I recognize the Bottle Rockets but I'm not sure if I've heard them. I've never heard of Dave Alvin or Jason & the Scorchers.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out today. I'm always in search of my next favorite musician.

Crack

Brian Henneman of The Bottle Rockets was once a roadie/session player with Uncle Tupelo, I especially like the "Brooklyn Side." Dave Alvin, and his brother Phil, are founding members of The Blasters. They were sometimes lumped together with early L.A. punk bands, but so much more... An outstanding singer/songwriter and guitarist. Check out "Out in California". Jason & the Scorchers were an early 80's cowpunk band...hang on to your hat!!

Timmy

Feeling country this morning, so I'll get my fix with some Willie Nelson as I transition into other genres.

Willie Nelson - To All the Girls... (2013)
Willie Nelson - Milk Cow Blues (2000)
Devil Doll - Queen of Pain (2001)
Zombie Ghost Train - Glad Rags and Body Bags (2005)

Keeping it simple, plan to be outside most of the day. Typical January winter day in North Texas, sunny with a high temp of 60. Perfect for garden prep and more seed planting in the greenhouse.

The Allman Brothers Band - Beginnings (1973)
The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach (1972)
The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters (1973).....RIP Butch

Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary Re-issue (2017) Nice Remaster PLUS a excellent show from Vancouver 1966!!! I love the early bluesy Pigpen Dead

Grateful Dead - Dave's Picks Vol. 21 Boston Garden 4/2/73 (2017)

Competition...I think not, just some favorites for a football Sunday....
The Cars - The Cars (1978)
R.E.M. - Eponymous (1988)
The Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray (1992)
Guadalcanal Diary - Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man (1984)
Mission of Burma. - Vs. (1982)

I'm going with a theme today. Bands that start with "The". :p

The Go-Go's - God Bless the Go-Go's (2001)
The B-52's - Funplex (2008)
The Kinks - The Road (1987)
The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker (1990)
The Real McKenzies - Loch'd and Loaded (2001)

Mike Ness - Under the Influences (Volume One) (1999)
Reverend Horton Heat - Lucky 7 (2002)
The Cramps - Songs the Lord Taught Us (1980)
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Perennial Favorites (1998)

I'll be taking this Sunday off from music. Last night I went to see August Burns Red, (hometown-last-night-of-the-tour show), and my hearing is wrecked this morning. Looking forward to things clearing up, because a day without music is going to suck.

No setlist from me this week either. :( I've had the flu all week, and still feel like crap. Fever broke but everything settled into my chest, making anything other than spending time on the couch/bed and drinking water a chore.....I do have the TV playing some random cool jazz but couldn't tell you who, why or when....NEXT WEEK!

Kicking off the day with a box set.

Jimmy Buffett - Boats, Beaches, Bars, and Ballads (1992)

Not sure where I'll go from there, but I've got at least four hours to figure it out.

Aiyee!!! Saturday and Sunday before Mardi Gras hold a place near and dear to my heart. The wife is from southwest of NOLA, and for 12 years we rode on the family float in her little hometown parade. 13 floats, the Jr. AND Sr. high marching bands, random masked walkers, family, friends and free food/drinks on every corner... Yeah, the big city parades are great, but the small local parades are where you get a real taste of Cajun culture and hospitality. Their parade is always on the Saturday, we'd get up on Sunday and head to either Houma or Thidadoux for the larger parades. Good times! The setlist for today.....

Professor Longhair - The Primo Collection (2009)
Dr. John - Gumbo (1972)
Rebirth Brass Band - Rebirth: Kickin It Live (1991)
Bonerama - Shake It Baby (2013)
Various Artists - 101 Proof Zydeco (1990)
The Meters - The Very Best of The Meters (1997)

Son Volt and the 97's both have brand new albums out? Grr.

I just got home from work, so no "morning" setlist, but I think I'll head down the jazzy path today.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Americana Deluxe (1998)
Royal Crown Revue - Mugzy's Move (1996)
Devil Doll - Queen of Pain (2001)
Frank Sinatra and Count Basie - Sinatra at the Sands (1966)

With the passing of two great musicians, this morning's list begins with them.

Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty-Eight (1982)
James Cotton - Take Me Back (1987)
Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Ledbetter Heights (1997)
Kevin Russell, Craig Erickson, & T.J. Parker - S.F. Blues Guitar Summit - Volume 1 (1993)
Garth Weber, Chris Cobb, & Dave Goodman - S.F. Blues Guitar Summit - Volume 2 (1993)
Tom Castro, Johnny Nitro, & Kevin Russell - S.F. Blues Guitar Summit - Volume 3 (1993)

I hate getting older and losing our musical icons. I never saw Chuck Berry, but did get to see James Cotton 2x over the years including an after show party at a dive bar in Lubbock. Got his autograph somewhere... So to start the set list today:

Chuck Berry - The Definitive Collection (2006)
James Cotton - Cotton Mouth Man (2013)

But I'm always on the lookout for NEW music that keeps me engaged....Sorta like teaching teenagers, they keep you on your toes! Two excellent new albums that I like.....

Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Navigator (2017)
Real Estate - In Mind (2017)

Mellow Morning...
Bonnie Raitt - Streetlights (1974)
Joni Mitchell - Hits (1996)
Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots (2011)

Beer Drinkin' afternoon.....
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Skynyrd's First: The Complete Muscle Shoals Album (1998)
The Marshall Tucker Band - Stompin' Room Only (2003)
Drive-by Truckers - Live from Austin TX (2009)

Mine is going to be a bit all over the place today. Some blues, folk, psychobilly/cowpunk/ridiculousness, alt rock noise, and some electro-swing.

Ana Popovic - Trilogy (2016)
Skinny Lister - Forge and Flagon (2012)
Mojo Nixon - Gadzooks!!! (1997)
Scarling. - Sweet Heart Dealer (2004)
Caro Emerald - Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor (2010)

Edit: +1 for Lindi Ortega! Great musician. That's probably my favorite album of hers. Had the chance to see her live once, and would certainly go again.

Beebs and her Money Makers - Wurst Album Ever (2014)
Fu Manchu - King of the Road (1999)

Then I'll be moving on to the Black Sabbath discography. I'm going to start at the very beginning, and work my way straight through, skipping live albums, and compilations.

Back to back to back 18 hour days, slept in and then outdoor chores before severe weather moves in...and yes, I believe I'll have a Founder's Breakfast Stout clone! Ladies day today:

Southern Avenue - Southern Avenue (2017) Great young Blues/R & B band, check out their vids on Youtube
Lindi Ortega - Til The Going Gets Gone EP (2017) Introspective....just released!
Valerie June - Pushin' Against a Stone (2013)
Etta James - Her Best: The Chess 50th (1997)

Scattershot.....

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity (2016)
Montrose - Montrose (1973)
Return To Forever - No Mystery (1975)
Kelis - Food (2014)
Hot Tuna - Keep on Truckin: The Very Best of Hot Tuna (2006)

Morning blend:
Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox - Swipe Right for Vintage (2015)
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2005)

A progressive afternoon:
Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE (1998)
Liquid Tension Experiment - LTE2 (1999)
Rush - 2112 (1976)
Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)
Primus - Pork Soda (1993)

I wanted to add some King Crimson, but that would require digging through my vinyl, which is probably not going to happen today.

After church, family brunch and a nap.....modern Americana:

Mandolin Orange - Blindfaller (2016)
Tift Merritt - Stitch of the World (2017)
Sam Bush - Storyman (2016)
Nikki Lane - Highway Queen (2017)
Sunny Sweeney - Trophy (2017)

Patsy Cline - The Patsy Cline Collection (1991)
The B-52's - Funplex (2008)
Madonna - The Immaculate Collection (1990)

Back