Sulphur stink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbarks

Reaction score
Occasionally when I brew a cider I get a late sulphur smell. I add nutrients to the yeast and hold a temp of 60 with us-04, notty, and kit cider yeasts. I generally add 2.5 tsp at the beginning and 1 tsp a week in followed by another at week 2.

Any ideas? Should I be adding more in because the juice lacks nutrients compared to beer?

I know I Should add apple in there too. Just have not done it.

Could be you are using too much nutrient. Not sure what volume you are fermenting, but 2.5 tsp sounds like a lot. Also, adding nutrient past the 50 pct point won't help much, and could be a source of stink. I add a shot of nutrients at the beginning and the at the 33 pct mark of fermentation (if needed).

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

It's a 5 gallon batch at 1.048.

Another at 1.080

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Search "rhino fart" here in the cider forum. You'll see that smell can be pretty common and nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After attending several sessions addressing this very issue at Cidercon I came away with some valuable tips. Aerate several times a day until 1/3 to 1/2 of the sugar is consumed. This has the added effect of mixing the yeast which was another tip. A representative from Scott Labs went as far as calling oxygen a yeast nutrient itself.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Awesome tip. Never thought of that. I will have to get some O2 and a reg to hook my carb stone up to or do you suggest just a air pump?

O2 and carb stone is good. I use a hand mixer and stir it at high speed. Mix the hell out of it. Lots of splashing. This only works in a plastic bucket. Glass carboys are hard to oxygenate unless you use the carb stone of you go that route make sure the yeast gets mixed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok. I have a degasser and a 30L bucket I ferment in sometimes. Sounds like I have a plan for next time. Thanks!

Back