Sulfiting at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeruRaHa

Reaction score
I'm finally ready to bottle my first batch of mead. It seems like it's been ages (it's been about 7 months) since I started, and I can't wait to taste it. I know I should wait at least a couple of weeks after bottling to let the bottle shock wear off before I drink it, but I did have one question before I begin bottling tomorrow;

I've picked up, from my reading, that a "every other racking" sulfiting schedule is fairly prudent... I last racked and sulfited about 3 months ago. Should I sulfite again, at bottling? Or would it be prudent to rack and sulfite again, and wait even a little longer before bottling? Or should I just relax, bottle, and look forward to enjoying my first bottle in a few weeks?

I'm finally ready to bottle my first batch of mead. It seems like it's been ages (it's been about 7 months) since I started, and I can't wait to taste it. I know I should wait at least a couple of weeks after bottling to let the bottle shock wear off before I drink it, but I did have one question before I begin bottling tomorrow;

I've picked up, from my reading, that a "every other racking" sulfiting schedule is fairly prudent... I last racked and sulfited about 3 months ago. Should I sulfite again, at bottling? Or would it be prudent to rack and sulfite again, and wait even a little longer before bottling? Or should I just relax, bottle, and look forward to enjoying my first bottle in a few weeks?
Well either should work fine, I suspect it's just a "belt and braces" thing to ensure longevity to sulphite before bottling.

That, and making doubly sure that you didn't introduce anything during the bottling process.

I'd have thought that if your bottles have been rinsed with sulphite and then drained upside down, and that you're just running the batch from the container that it was last sulphited in, then you probably should be fine.

Back