Why sweet first sip, but second later very bitter after taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armynian

Reaction score
Hi Guys been making mead for couple years now, one of my batches I just was bottling and realized it is sweet and pleasant in first sip, but second later very bitter after taste. I wanted to know if I can save this mead to sweeter after taste?

My start gravity was 1.150- final gravity 1.052 , its four months old, yeast QA23, campden tablet stabilizer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If not yet bottled, try making it. If bottled, try aging it for a year.

Edit: correction, the above should have said, "If not yet bottled, try oaking it."

Last edited:
Thanks Bushpilot, my rookie move bottling before tasting. but your right I will let it settle for year and hope it regulates.

So it is at almost 13%. At that percentage, I would normally assume at least 6 months of time. before it is "ready".

Your nutrition schedule, fermentation temperature etc. plays a roll in all of that and it could be "ready" sooner or later based on those things.

Tonight I opened a 14.4% pyment that I made about 20 months ago (bottled ~11 months ago) and the alcohol is smooth and tastes very nice... but there is a hint that it used to be hot... sort of like how you taste residual sweetness. It is not harsh or hot at all but you can tell that it was in the past. I expect that when I open another bottle at some point next year that I will not have that hint there at all.

Time isn't always your friend, but it can be.

Last edited:
So it is at almost 13%. At that percentage, I would normally assume at least 6 months of time. before it is "ready".

Your nutrition schedule, fermentation temperature etc. plays a roll in all of that and it could be "ready" sooner or later based on those things.

Tonight I opened a 13.8% pyment that I made about 20 months ago (bottled ~11 months ago) and the alcohol is smooth and tastes very nice... but there is a hint that it used to be hot... sort of like how you taste residual sweetness. It is not harsh or hot at all but you can tell that it was in the past. I expect that when I open another bottle at some point next year that I will not have that hint there at all.

Time isn't always your friend, but it can be.
This gives me hope as it needs more time to mature. ill do a taste in couple month hope it will be little better, if not ill just keep them bottle fore a year or two.

Thanks MightyMosin

Latest posts

Back