Ferment on or rack off the "goop"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC73

Reaction score
My typical cider routine is to transfer my juice to the primary fermenter, add sulfite, wait 12-24 hours, add pectinase, wait another 12 hours, add yeast nutrient, pitch yeast. Lately, the juice I've been using (Louisburg Original) has been throwing a LOT of sediment after the pectinase addition.

I've read differing opinions on whether or not to rack off the "goop". The majority opinion is to rack off the goop or you run the risk of sulfur/off flavors. Problem with that is I lose about 20-25% of my juice if I do that. Wondering what the opinion is here re. this little conundrum?

Here's a pic of how much sediment is thrown 3 hours after pectinase addition:

goo.jpg

Hi guys. To clarify (pun intended!), the photo of the juice is prior to fermentation. Yeast hasn't been pitched yet. The sediment is what dropped out of the juice after I added pectinase.

Hi guys. To clarify (pun intended!), the photo of the juice is prior to fermentation. Yeast hasn't been pitched yet. The sediment is what dropped out of the juice after I added pectinase.
I normally add the pectic enzyme at the same time as the yeast. The one time I added it earlier I experienced the same thing. I racked to a new bucket "just because", but I'm sure it would have been OK to just pitch the yeast and go.

I think a lot of the sulfur off gases during the prep stage before the yeast is added so I don't think I would worry about that.
I'm not sure what other off flavors would come from the fruit pulp. I would just leave it as and add your yeast.

Latest posts

Back