Suggestions for tweaking this recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty67

Reaction score
I made this recipie for a Paulaner Hefe-Weizen style beer, it was probably one of the better beers i've made (have only done like 5 or 6 batches) but when i compared it to a real Paulaner Hefe-Weizen it showed that it was way heavier, not nearly as crisp and a tad bit sweeter without as much spicy edge as the Paulaner. Like i said it was really good but i'd like to bring it down to a lighter style and was wondering what suggestions you all would make.

Recipe used:

4 oz. German Munich Malt
6 lbs. wheat DME
1oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker (bittering hop)

Wyeast's 3056 Bavarian wheat yeast (fermented at around 68 degrees)

for carbonation i sued 1 and 1/4 cup of the wheat DME

Oh, yeah, the original gravity was 1.053, the final was 1.012 and it was for the 5 gallon recipe, and i'd like to keep the alcohol where it is around 5 and a half or just barely bump it up to around 6

You could add some plain table sugar, about a pound.
That will raise the ABV and dry it out a little.

It is pretty common that compared to commercial beers, home-crafted beer tends to have a bigger mouthfeel. If you want to dry it out a bit, plus one on adding some sugar or replacing some of the extract with sugar (though I'm not sure I'd go a full pound, maybe a half to see how it goes). Not a traditional method for this style, but you can make what you like.

Your malt bill is too heavy. These are supposed to be light drinking summer beers low in ABV. Try 5 lbs. or less DME and skip the munich. Try wheat malt and 2-row instead. I use .5 lb. 2 row, flaked wheat, and cara-pils in my hefes with great results. Your hopping and temp. management look good. What kind of attenuation are you getting?

I actually got the recipe out of my Clone Brews book and i have no idea about what a more traditional method would be, any suggestions would be great or where to get info on that. As for the attenuation? I'm not really sure what that means, i know the yeast is labeled at about 75 percent. does that refer to the percentage of available sugars that will be used by the yeast?

Back