Extract Kettle Sour Flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppah

Reaction score
Ok, so I just made a kettle sour...more of a berliner I suppose just to see how it would turn out. Only used 3lbs Bavarian Wheat DME in a bit less than 4 gallon batch. Used Omega OLY 605 lacto and it turned out quite nice...wheaty backbone with a nice sour.

I want to make another soon but I'd like to beef up the ABV a bit and maybe do half Bavarian Wheat, half normal light DME. I was also toying with the idea of a flavor extract (maybe raspberry and had this in mind: Flavouring - Raspberry (4 fl oz)). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Not being helpful but just commenting to follow. I have that exact bottle and have been too scared to try it. I decided to fruit my kettle sour with packs of frozen berries instead because I've heard people say the extracts are fake tasting.

Still in secondary. I did 4 lbs blueberries for a 2.5 gal batch as I wanted it to really come through.

Ok so I bottled a few days ago and based on that experience I can say, never again. There was tons of fruit floating on top and more on the bottom. I sanitized a strainer and slowly, carefully lifted off the floaters. When I tried to use an auto siphon covered by a mesh bag, the berry carcasses gathered around the bag where the siphon opening was, clogging up the mesh, and caused the siphon to then pick up some oxygen. I didn't want to pick up any more air so I quit and ended up losing over a gallon of volume. I also overcarbonated my bottles due to being stupid and racking onto the priming syrup I made even when I knew I was definitely gonna lose some volume to the fruit. Huge bummer, I was really pissed the whole time.

That being said, the beer is wonderful. It's already at a low carbonation level so I'm drinking them. I also threw in like an ounce of the raspberry flavoring we talked about during bottling just for the hell of it and because it was such a low amount it only serves to slightly enhance the blueberry in my opinion, which has kind of a winey fermented flavor. It could do with more acid (post souring pH was just under 4) which would make the fruit pop more and taste less like wine. All in all, happy with it, lessons learned. I just gotta get a few (vaccinated) friends to come drink these this weekend before they explode on me.

Next time I do a fruit beer I will be using real fruit juice for "natural" flavor and to minimize loss and fussing around. It will be slightly more expensive but when you consider there's less labor and less waste it's really a no brainer.

Also thought I would mention one other thing that you probably already know. When you use wheat extract it's not 100% wheat so you should account for that in the recipe if you haven't.

Ok so I bottled a few days ago and based on that experience I can say, never again. There was tons of fruit floating on top and more on the bottom. I sanitized a strainer and slowly, carefully lifted off the floaters. When I tried to use an auto siphon covered by a mesh bag, the berry carcasses gathered around the bag where the siphon opening was, clogging up the mesh, and caused the siphon to then pick up some oxygen. I didn't want to pick up any more air so I quit and ended up losing over a gallon of volume. I also overcarbonated my bottles due to being stupid and racking onto the priming syrup I made even when I knew I was definitely gonna lose some volume to the fruit. Huge bummer, I was really pissed the whole time.

That being said, the beer is wonderful. It's already at a low carbonation level so I'm drinking them. I also threw in like an ounce of the raspberry flavoring we talked about during bottling just for the hell of it and because it was such a low amount it only serves to slightly enhance the blueberry in my opinion, which has kind of a winey fermented flavor. It could do with more acid (post souring pH was just under 4) which would make the fruit pop more and taste less like wine. All in all, happy with it, lessons learned. I just gotta get a few (vaccinated) friends to come drink these this weekend before they explode on me.

Next time I do a fruit beer I will be using real fruit juice for "natural" flavor and to minimize loss and fussing around. It will be slightly more expensive but when you consider there's less labor and less waste it's really a no brainer.

Also thought I would mention one other thing that you probably already know. When you use wheat extract it's not 100% wheat so you should account for that in the recipe if you haven't.

How much real fruit juice do you feel would be needed for a good flavor in a 5 gallon batch? I was thinking of using this stuff...
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sunrype-no-sugar-added-wild-raspberry-100-juice/879888

How much real fruit juice do you feel would be needed for a good flavor in a 5 gallon batch? I was thinking of using this stuff...
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sunrype-no-sugar-added-wild-raspberry-100-juice/879888

Just seeing this. I'd probably do like 20% of the batch size for a lot of flavor, 10% for a light flavor where other characters from malt or whatever you want would come through. So roughly a half gallon to a gallon. But the juice you linked is a blend so might not be super raspberry-y.

I'm a little late to the party but I'm curious what fv you use. I brew blueberry sours quite often and had issues with berry chunks clogging a few times. What I've found is when I used a fastfermener i had issues and when I used carboys it was fine.

The only thing I could think of was that the FF has a coned bottom, putting enough pressure on the berries at the bottom causing them to break apart. The carboy being a non cone shaped fermenter spread out the weight evenly resulting in hardly any berry chunks.

I dont know if this was just coincidence or what but I use the same berries , same process every time and had same outcome with the conical shaped fv.

I've got just a plastic bucket. I did smash them up pretty good before adding them in though.

I've got just a plastic bucket. I did smash them up pretty good before adding them in though.

If you can add a spigot to your bucket you'd have an easier time. As you can see the berries start floating after a while . So you can fill /transfer via spigot without getting a bunch of gunk .

Attachments

• 20190607_144113.jpg
    20190607_144113.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 1
Back