sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddw15

Reaction score
just wondering if using different types of sugars changes the taste of your beer? what type of sugar do you grizzled veteran brewers use. im on my second batch n i just used normal white sugar.
i was told 1 tsp per grolsh bottle n 2 for my 1 litres. snd about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm assuming your talking about for bottling. I use corn sugar because it's not supposed to produce much of a flavor difference.

Use corn or cane sugar, they both work just fine and you won't taste a difference. I supposed if you use molasses or honey or maple syrup as your sugar source, you'll get a little bit of a flavor contribution... but I just use regular ol' corn sugar a lot of the time, and cane sugar when I don't have any corn sugar on hand.

Handy priming calc that helps you figure out how much to use, and includes several different types of sugar: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

The sugar you are adding will mostly get consumed by the yeast to carbonate your beer. I've bottled many batches with brown sugar, and noticed zero difference in those that I bottled with table sugar or corn sugar. I haven't bottled with honey or maple syrup though, you might get some residual flavor from those.

Latest posts

Back