Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whole foods as a bunch of different flavors of cane sugar. Time to experiment!

Just don't use date sugar! I tried this as I live with a health food maniac. It doesn't dissolve hardly at all. Makes a lot of lees.

Cane sugar is completely fermentable. Some don't suggest using only cane sugar in a ferment because it has a cidery taste. Though I suppose if you're adding to cider that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you are trying to make something fast, mixing up a couple lb of cane sugar with a gallon of water, adding champagne yeast and some sliced ginger makes a nice brew that tastes pretty good after only a couple weeks.

Cane sugar is completely fermentable. Some don't suggest using only cane sugar in a ferment because it has a cidery taste. Though I suppose if you're adding to cider that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you are trying to make something fast, mixing up a couple lb of cane sugar with a gallon of water, adding champagne yeast and some sliced ginger makes a nice brew that tastes pretty good after only a couple weeks.

Cane sugar doesn't result in a cidery taste. It's very commonly used in fruit wines, and in beers like Belgians. It's very neutral tasting, actually.

Interesting. I'm going to try these flavored cane sugars and I'll report back later.

They're not so much flavored though they definitely have different tastes. Sucanat and Rapunzel are relatively unrefined. I've had mixed results with those. Sometimes the taste is a bit strong.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to say that cane sugar results in a cidery flavor; what I'm saying is some suggest that using only cane sugar and no other sweeteners can result in a cidery taste. I believe the wiki article says that and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. I'm not sure myself, one of my best brews used only cane sugar and it was definitely not cidery, and even if it were I'm not convinced it would be bad.

A "cidery" flavor is more likely to be a result of a warm fermentation producing banana esters. Some yeast strains have a much greater tendency to do this then others.

x2 on granulated sugar being a neutral flavor.

The appley taste probally is coming from esters in the yeast as they are stressed by the unusual environment of a pure suger solution. Acelyaldehide (sp?) I believe is the technical term.

Back