Substitution for Mild malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

I am about to brew a batch which asks for Mild malt. I see that people usually say it is simillat to Vienna malt which I can find here. My first idea was to mix Vienna and Pale malts in about half half percentage. The recipe is about Robust porter. What do you think?

Cheers

I use mild malt all the time in a dark mild I brew. Before I started using the mild malt, I used munich.

You probably want the majority of your base to be the 2 row/pale malt...... but then you could use a blend of (or one of) munich, dark munich, vienna to give you some additional "maltiness" in order to mimic some of the sweetness of the mild malt. Maybe just a touch of honey malt too (2-4 ounces in 5 gallon batch).

Those would be some things I would consider.

When I brew my mild I use the following ratio:
45% Maris Otter
35% Mild Malt
20% Specialty grains.

If I was doing the same with a munich substitute I would probably go more like 55% maris and 25% munich.

I use Munich in a big hoppy amber ale I brew and usually go about 70% base 2 row malt
8-10% Wheat/flaked Oats combo
10-15% Munich
Rest is specialty

If I was doing a robust porter, I would keep my regular 2Row/Maris otter base up around 60-70%. Maybe 10-20% on the munich/mild type malts..... Rest would be specialty/roast grains.

Was the recipe calling for ALL Mild malt? I find mild malt too sweet over about 1/3 of the grain bill. Same with munich. I think a couple pounds can really add something to many types of beers, but beyond that, it can kind of be to much and seem out of place.

Not sure if that helps, but that is how I have used it.

Latest posts

Back