substituting sterling for saaz question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevalkrye

Reaction score
i am making a belgian golden strong ale...and the recipe i am using calls for a hope addition of 1 ounce of saaz hops at flameout then let them steep for 5 minutes.

i have some saaz hops but they aren't as nice and fresh and sexy as my fine sterling hops i just received in the mail. since this is an aroma type hop addition i think the sterling leaf will be a better choice than the older plugs i have been keeping in my freezer.

now i don't want to overshoot my IBU's for the style...the saaz are 2.5AA and the sterling 8.7 AA..but at that late in the game they will add little bittering anyways. so do i just substitue ounce for ounce or adjust it somehow?

Ounce for ounce is fine- those are aroma hops, so they don't contribute IBUs (bitterness) anyway. I find that I'm liking sterling hops, too. Sounds good!

right on..i thought so but i wanted to check.

the sterlings really smell fantastic..i cant wait to taste em in something...im going to do a few beers with em..after this belgian is a vienna lager!!

thanks for the help!

Back