Substitute For Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
My IPA which I've been working on for at least 3 years is finally where I want it and I'm running low on Simcoe for the next few months before this years harvest. Is it true there's no substitute for Simcoe? My beer absorbs Simcoe so well compared to all other hops I've tried.

Falconers flight is a good hop, but def not a sub for simcoe. I tried it turned out a good IPA but def not the same as simcoe.

I have been using chinook/summit as a somewhat substitute for simcoe. I got the idea from the brewers from probrewer.com.

I've found cascade and centennial together to be similar andh have subbed them before in equal parts with each other for whatever addition of simcoe ie... .5 oz simcoe at 60 minutes for 30 ibu's = .3 centnennnial and .3 cascade at 60 minutes for 30 ibu's. Thats the closest i could come up with. Simcoe is uniques and has that citrusy grapefruit catpiss bit that i love. You could combine those into a small tea and boil them for a bit and see what you think of the flavor and bite and whether it work or some other combo. Goodluck.

I love using Simcoe as well, although I haven't dry-hopped my IPAs with Simcoe yet. I'll have to try that. I've just bottled a re-make of a Simcoe IPA where I subbed Cascade for Simcoe in 3 of the 4 additions, but it really doesn't have that same smell or bite.

On a related note, my next brew is going to be what I'll call a Simcoe & Rosemary XPA ("Xtra Pale" Ale). I'm thinking that a hint of rosemary will really complement the Simcoe hops in a very light-bodied pale ale.

Sounds interesting. I think you are right about the complementing flavors but it might require a stronger style of IPA to be balanced. I'd be very curious how it turns out. Love simcoe and love rosemary. When are you thinking to add the rosemary and how much. I would think it would be a relatively small amount to the dry hop.

Following advice gleaned from several posts in the ingredients section and input from my buddy, I decided to add about .15 oz of rosemary leaves near the end of the boil. Some suggested 10 min, some 5 min, so I split the difference at 7 mins. The aroma was pronounced at flameout, but seemed to come from the leaves given that the aerated wort had a much milder smell. I've been moving away from secondary fermenter (except where bulk fermenting for 3 + months with stronger brews), but may rack this and dry "hop" with a litle more rosemary depending on condition after a week in primary.

If it comes out well, I'll report back with more info!

Back