Substitute for extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
I am making a wheat beer doing extract brewing that calls for 6.6 lbs of wheat/barley malt extract.

Can I substitute some of the malt and steep grains in their place?

It seems right in my mind.

You can if you do a partial mash. Check out deathbrewer's "easy stovetop partial mash with pics" thread.

If you just steep grains, you'll get color and flavor out of them, but probably few if any fermentable sugars.

Bottom line, if you sub steeping grains for extract, you'll get a lower ABV beer because there's less fermentable sugar.

You could steep some type of crystal malt but outside of a dark roasted malt it will need to be mashed.

The other option is to do a mini-mash but using some Munich and Dark wheat for a little twist. What's the current recipe?

You can if you do a partial mash. Check out deathbrewer's "easy stovetop partial mash with pics" thread.

If you just steep grains, you'll get color and flavor out of them, but probably few if any fermentable sugars.

Bottom line, if you sub steeping grains for extract, you'll get a lower ABV beer because there's less fermentable sugar.

Where would I find that thread? I don't see it. I have read a little about doing that, but have never done it.

Latest posts

Back