Substitute for Cara-Pils Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinowl

Reaction score
Was getting ready to order some more supplies and take another crack at the Brown Ale I screwed up last time. Last time, I ordered from Hearts Homebrew in Orlando, mostly 'cause they are in state. This time, I was going to order from More Beer, 'cause they gots the grommet I need for my second tower. I need to order a pound of Cara-Pils, but More Beer doesn't seem to have it. I could order just the Cara-Pils from Hearts, and get the rest from More Beer, but I thought I'd ask if there was a good substitute for it.

Thanks,
Allan

FlyGuy said:
Try Carafoam. Very similar. (I couldn't tell the difference when I switched.)

Thanks, but I didn't see it at More Beer either. It doesn't matter. I decided to order my yeast from hearts as they are closer and it should make it here still cool, went ahead and ordered the Cara-Pils, also.

Needed something to pump up the price of the order from More Beer over 59 bucks, so I got another corney. Whoo Hoo!!!

Allan

howlinowl said:
Thanks, but I didn't see it at More Beer either. It doesn't matter. I decided to order my yeast from hearts as they are closer and it should make it here still cool, went ahead and ordered the Cara-Pils, also.

Needed something to pump up the price of the order from More Beer over 59 bucks, so I got another corney. Whoo Hoo!!!

Allan

I see carapils and carafoam at morebeer.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17131/
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17132/

Maybe your spelling differed from their's when you searched?

Crystal 10 and 20 are much darker when compared to carapils/foam, I would compare the difference to that of Pilsner malt 1-2L to Munich malt 8-10L soooo in recipes calling for larger portions of carapils/foam (like a pilsner where as much as 5-10% is acceptable) you're going to affect the color and flavor noticeably.

Some maltsters just call it dextrine malt. Carapils, carafoam, dextrine are all similar, just made by different maltsters. The names are probably trademarked, so they each call it something else.

Latest posts

Back