Substitue for Finnish Bakers Yeast?? - First Sahti

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmrak12

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good ideas of what a good substitute would be for Finnish Bakers Yeast in a Traditional Sahti Recipe? I had a couple thoughts in mind, but I want to get other brewers opinion.

Sounds good! Since you're looking for something to add some banana flavors, without being overwhelming, any of the above should do the trick. Don't think they will be identical by any means, but should be somewhat close. Yuri and Esa might not think so, but Jim and Joe will be seeing Reindeer and Nordic blondes! :mug:

Never heard of anyone homebrewing this. What was your inspiration?

I'd think that the baker's yeast in Finland is the same as everywhere else in the world. There's probably even a decent sized bakery in Fort Collins that uses fresh or cream yeast instead of instant.

I'd think that the baker's yeast in Finland is the same as everywhere else in the world. There's probably even a decent sized bakery in Fort Collins that uses fresh or cream yeast instead of instant.

I would agree from the standpoint that it's liable to be a crap shoot either way. Direct from Oulu Finland, or downtown Fort Collins it could be awesome or could be crap......

Sounds good! Since you're looking for something to add some banana flavors, without being overwhelming, any of the above should do the trick. Don't think they will be identical by any means, but should be somewhat close. Yuri and Esa might not think so, but Jim and Joe will be seeing Reindeer and Nordic blondes! :mug:

Never heard of anyone homebrewing this. What was your inspiration?

I was reading Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher and came across this style and started researching it a little more. Not to mention I want to drink like a VIKING! Now it has become a new project for sure. Im even going to hike up into the hills soon and clip some fresh juniper branches to strain my mash thru. I will be sure to update this thread once I pick a yeast and get underway

I was reading Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher and came across this style and started researching it a little more. Not to mention I want to drink like a VIKING! Now it has become a new project for sure. Im even going to hike up into the hills soon and clip some fresh juniper branches to strain my mash thru. I will be sure to update this thread once I pick a yeast and get underway

If you pull up Brewing TV through youtube or northernbrewers web site the guys brewed a sahti using Mosher's method. It was pretty cool, their comments were that it had a very unique taste.

No Prob -- I think they said it tasted like sucking on a pine cone. That episode definitely stuck out to me though. I was like wtf, they are lining their mash tun with christmas trees.

Back