sub for nottingham yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get it, I would stick with the Notty. Dry yeast gets a bad rap, but Nottingham is very high quality and is a favorite of many brewers. If you are dead set on the liquid, however, look for something that finishes with not much of a yeast profile (White Labs California Ale comes to mind) with a mid range attenuation.

Hope this helps, but remember there is nothing wrong with dry yeasts

i have an unexplainable phobia of dry yeast, but if they have the Notty, i'll try it. Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate the help. i suck at internet research, so you guys are a huge help.

White Labs does make a liquid version of Nottingham called WLP039, but it is seasonal and I don't think it is out right now.

OMFG, why do you dislike Nottingham? It's so easy, it makes great beer, and it's cheap. So cheap that you don't have to worry about collecting it. A local brewery with a 7 bbl system uses Notty pretty much exclusively and they make some GREAT beers. They're busting at the seams and moving towards a 25 bbl system. Don't fear the dry yeasts for any of your American Ales. Notty and Safale-05 are my go-to's for anything american.

IT is too bad you are not in CO. I just washed the notty out of my Nut Brown last night. It was my first time doing a Yeast wash and was mostly for practice but I love the Notty. I am eager to try out the washed version

Washed Yeast.jpg

I was afraid of dry yeasts at one time, then I followed some sage wisdom from HBT members. Now I use Nottingham in the vast majority of everything I brew.

+3,296 in support of Nottingham yeast. Fear not the dry yeast - well, except Muntons 6g packets and the stuff you get taped on the top of a kit-in-a-tin. :D

Bob

i don't dislike the nottingham, i've never used it. i just said i was wierd about dry yeast. it sounds like this "notty" stuff is the way to go.

+17,874,439 for Notty

It's the schizzz.........!!!!

When I started brewing, I had kits with Muntons. It sucked. Then I got caught in the liquid yeast phase (WLP 001 is pretty good, though).

Now, it's Notty for all my ales and Saflager-23 for all my lagers (use two packs; starters are unnecessary). It's so easy and cheap there's no need to harvest/wash.

Notty ferments well, fast, and clean. Try it. You won't regret it.

Don't fear the dry yeast young grasshopper. Notty has got to be one of the greatest yeasts ever, I use it almost exclusively, I too used to fear dry yeast because everyone told me that it was inferior but then I made Ed's Pale Ale and discovered it's greatness.

Holy cow... you guys are using Nottingham primarily? It's that good? I used some kind of French "dry ale" yeast today and didn't bother to rehydrate. So what is everyone's "go-to" lager yeast?

i don't dislike the nottingham, i've never used it. i just said i was wierd about dry yeast. it sounds like this "notty" stuff is the way to go.

I started an IPA a few days ago and I used Nottingham after re-hydrating. It went to work in a short time with no porblem. It was suggested to just pitch straight to the primary, but I didn't. I am sure that if I had, it would have done just as well. I only allowed 30 minutes to re-hydrate this stuff and it was quite active when I pitched it.

It was suggested by my LHBS rep. that WLP-005 is a good replacement for Nottingham. Any comments on this?

Salute! :mug:

My favorite yeast .. I have used it more than any other ..

It is just alot easier for beers like the famous haus ale...

No yeast snob here !

I'm just pist my notty experience was a bust...72 hours to start and 3 days later...bananas.

fyi...the lot # wasn't on the "notty" list...

poooooooo

The OP has said several time that Nottingham dry isn't available, NOT that he doesn't want to use it.

WLP039 Nottingham Ale Yeast is currently available according to their website.

I have used Nottingham for years, and never had any problem. I used to 'proof' it, but found it unnecessary, and I read somewhere that it can shock the yeast unless you are careful to proof it with the same sugars in your actual wort.

I use Nottingham almost exclusively also. The only time that I use "special" yeast is if I'm making a Belgian or something.

I love dry yeasts. They are so much easier to deal with. I don't mind breaking out the stir plate and making starters for specialty brews (e.g. a Saison), but if I'm making any kind of American ale I will typically use US-05, English ale either Notty or S-04, and for many Belgians T-58 works well.

Back