Styrian aurora hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I inherited some hop pellets from a friend who’s kind of throwing in the brewing towel. There’s an ounce of styrian aurora included. I’d never heard of them, (also not sure what the styrian thing completely means?) and I’m unsure how to use em up. Any style suggestions that play well? All else fails, I can use them as a bittering charge in a pale ale or bitter, but if there’s a better, tastier way to use them, I’m open to recommendations.

Thanks!

Styria is a region mostly in Slovenia but partly in Austria. The Slovenian region is famous for Styrian Goldings, also called Savinja Goldings, which are actually Fuggles transplanted there from England in the 1930s. Aurora (FKA Super Styrian) is a newer daughter of Northern Brewer, but also similar in flavor and aroma to Styrian Goldings. Sounds to me like you're on the right track with a Bitter. Or maybe a dark or amber lager?

I'm a big fan of aurora. It is a combination of mellow fruit punch with some tropical notes, light herbal character and a touch floral. It sounds a lot like some of the newer hops but the flavor is more mild. My favorite use is a big charge in an IPL with a blend of supporting hops but it also works in a broad range of styles. I've had good aurora-hopped saisons and lagers. It pairs well as a blender with other hops but it can work well on its own as long as you aren't expecting to get bowled over with flavor like a single hop beer with mosaic or galaxy.

Thanks both for the info and suggestions. It sounds tasty, especially since I’m a big fan of Goldings and fuggles, so I’m glad if I’d have gone rogue and tossed it in a bitter, I wouldn’t have been too disappointed. I hadn’t even considered the lager side since I’m completely inexperienced in them, but I had been kicking around the idea of trying a few after reading through several pages of the Warm Fermented Lager thread a couple weeks back. Perhaps this winter is the time.
Thanks again!

Didn’t realize I first asked this four months ago haha.
I used a small amount as a bittering charge in a recent bitter, and the remainder as late additions to a pilsner. Fresh out of the fermenter, the pilsner tastes excellent. Really really excited to taste the completely finished product, but if that sample tells it’s story, I’m going to be a huge fan.

Bumping this thread because I am trying to figure something out. I brewed a sort of sticke alt (my understanding is this is a maltier, darker version of altbier). It came out delicious, my favorite beer I've brewed so far. My only gripe about the beer is that the hops have a subtle cooling/menthol element that I would like to avoid next time I brew this beer.

Hops:
  • 1.5 oz. Tettnang (4.6%) 60 min. for 23.7 IBU
  • 0.5 oz. Styrian Aurora (5%) 60 min. for 8.6 IBU
  • 0.5 oz. Tettnang (4.6%) 15 min. for 3.9 IBU

I've read up on characteristics of both Tettnang and Styrian Aurora but neither one seems to commonly have a "menthol" flavor ascribed to it. What do people think? The amount of Styrian is small, but it seems like the more likely culprit to me...

Bumping this thread because I am trying to figure something out. I brewed a sort of sticke alt (my understanding is this is a maltier, darker version of altbier). It came out delicious, my favorite beer I've brewed so far. My only gripe about the beer is that the hops have a subtle cooling/menthol element that I would like to avoid next time I brew this beer.

Hops:
  • 1.5 oz. Tettnang (4.6%) 60 min. for 23.7 IBU
  • 0.5 oz. Styrian Aurora (5%) 60 min. for 8.6 IBU
  • 0.5 oz. Tettnang (4.6%) 15 min. for 3.9 IBU

I've read up on characteristics of both Tettnang and Styrian Aurora but neither one seems to commonly have a "menthol" flavor ascribed to it. What do people think? The amount of Styrian is small, but it seems like the more likely culprit to me...

It's descended from Northern Brewer and I've gotten a slight menthol from that with first wort and 60m additions. Really nice in a dry stout.

What do people think? The amount of Styrian is small, but it seems like the more likely culprit to me...

I think you're right. Tettnang is one of my favorite hops, and I often use it as the only hop in a beer. It has no menthol character for boil, flavor or aroma. It's got to be the Stryian Aurora, though I've never used that hop.

Last edited:
Thank you both! I'll try swapping it out for something like Saaz next time.

Back