Stuff in the bottom of my bottles????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So I just bottled my first batch on saturday and looked at it today, There is some sediment sitting in the botton of the bottles. I assume this is just the priming sugar but will it go away? I shook one bottle up and it came up so is there any worry? Do I need to shake up all the bottles? Any help would be welcomed. Thanks...

LEAVE IT ALONE!!! In fact quit staring at your bottles, you can't "SEE" when they are ready...leave them alone in your warm closet and come back to them in 2 1/2 weeks.

Everything's fine...bottle conditioned beer has to have some sediment in it...your bottle is like a mini fermenter, sometimes they even have krauzens in the top, then it flocculates (falls) just like in your primary..

Read this...it's more info on sediment....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1193529-post6.html

You think you have a lot of sediment on the bottom of your bottles, check out some Belgians tripels! Tons of "stuff" and many times great beer...in other words, nothing to worry about.

In fact, some believe that that 'stuff' on the bottom clears acne, helps digestion, saves the whales, etc. Pour off a clean glass, leave the last 1/4", swirl it in the bottle, and bottom's up!

Don't shake the bottles. What kind of a beer is it anyway? Like everyone else said, its normal and it is not priming sugar its yeast sediment. Depending on the type of beer it can even be desirable (think Hefeweizen here).

yeah i just put my first batch in bottles a week ago and i have yeast sediment just like you remember ITS REAL BEER not commercial filtered crap!!!!

Guys at my LHBS said to give the bottles a little shake after a week or so....

What think yee about that technique?

Guys at my LHBS said to give the bottles a little shake after a week or so....

What think yee about that technique?

I never shake mine and don't think it is an "approved" practice. I would think it would just serve to piss off our little yeasty friends. Let them be and they will do their job just fine.

I never shake mine and don't think it is an "approved" practice. I would think it would just serve to piss off our little yeasty friends. Let them be and they will do their job just fine.

I agree..shaking serves no purpose except to get the yeast back into suspension.....It won't "dissolve" if that's what you are hoping...Unless it's a hefe where the idea is to have the yeasties in suspension...you WANT to have a nice compact sediment layer in the bottom of the bottle so you can leave it behind when you pour...Did you happen to read what I linked you?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1193529-post6.html It talks about how to leave a tight amount behind, and there's even a video that show how to pour to the shoulder to NOT get it in your glass...

Perhaps I am alone in this, but I fearlessly pour the entire contents into the glass. The 'trub' at the bottom is a little hors-d'oeuvre. I do notice however that about an hour after consumption, I begin to produce a rather odorous emmenation. Perhaps it is just a coincidence.

Perhaps I am alone in this, but I fearlessly pour the entire contents into the glass. The 'trub' at the bottom is a little hors-d'oeuvre. I do notice however that about an hour after consumption, I begin to produce a rather odorous emmenation. Perhaps it is just a coincidence.

No, you're not alone...I do it probably most of the time I pour a glass...It's full of B-complex vitamins...that's one of the reasons the Belgians revere it so...there's an article on that on that post I linked to (twice)

Nah its completely normal to have such emanations. You see, yeast "sediment" is really a gracious way to say yeast "poop" They chew up the sugars and poop into the bottom of the bottle. Its healthy in vitamins such as manure is healthy as a fertilizer. The emanations may be a result of co2 produced in your stomach by them yeasties dining on your leftovers.

I don't suppose you could change smilin' bob's name could you? How about jim or scott or something. Why does it have to be bob? I don't want people getting the wrong impression about me.

C'mon Bob, you can't fool us. We know you are smiling...... You just masquerade around with that "Guitar" reference to throw everyone off your trail... :D

"I believe it comes from the fact that I leave it in primary for a month..use finings to clear it, and give it a nice period of bottle conditioning, make sure I cool the wort quicky and chill long enough to eliminate haze..... In other words brew properly...."

what do you mean by finings to clear it? how long is a nice period of bottle conditioning? what do you mean chill long enough to eliminate haze?

Looks mine had priming sugar on the bottom. And trub like hop fragments, about a third or fourth of the beer is like sewage. It's been bottled already for two weeks...

Looks mine had priming sugar on the bottom. And trub like hop fragments, about a third or fourth of the beer is like sewage. It's been bottled already for two weeks...

7943d1400740830-jungleflasher-no-i-o-ports-found-during-enumeration-win8-x64-867733d1373391202-gravity-fsx-1-0-bikesdirect-com-40346d1374446638-job-offer-zombie_thread.jpg

A third or a fourth of the bottle is a lot of sediment might consider cold crashing or at least keeping the siphon out of the trub when you rack to your bottling bucket.

Yes, I will definitely keep away from the last few inches of the bucket for the next 4 batches I have coming. But not sure why there is so much priming sugar sitting at the bottom. It's a great IPA and then has this sweet tang at the end that ruins it. I was shaking some of them up, but it didn't really help. I feel like I should just leave the whole thing alone for a few more weeks or months, tastes terrible. Do you think over time it will dissolve or go away?

It's not priming sugar it's yeast and maybe some protein and bits of hop matter. Your bottles act like a tiny fermenter when you add priming sugar that's how it carbonates it a small fermentation. What's in your bottles is the same kind of trub that was in the bottom of your fermenter when you bottled. no need to shake it around just chill the beer well and when you pour it, pour your beer off the dregs leaving the sediment in the bottle:mug:

Back