stuck starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
okay, last night made a starter per thread from this site"2 cups water, 1 cup DME" boil 10 -15 min cool to 70-75 deg. and pitch yeast wlp810. should I be seeing any action in appx. 12-18 hrs @ 65-75 deg.? oh yeah I am using a stir plate. thanx

I've had older vials take 1 to 1 1/2 days to get going, give it a bit more time. What is the date on your vial?

From White Labs website:

WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast
This yeast is used to produce the "California Common" style beer. A unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 58-65°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

Maybe try keeping the starter in a cooler place?

First off, your gravity is too high - you should go 0.5 cup DME to 2 cups water. Or, the easier method (IMO): 100g DME to 1000g water.

Second, starters are for yeast reproduction, not fermentation. So, you shouldn't be seeing fermentation or signs of activity right away, especially on a stir plate. Let them grow.

thanks for the info guys, next time I will try the 100/1000 starter & not worry so much. by the way pitched my starter into my steam clone and fermentation kicked off in appx 6 hrs. thanks again.

Back