Stuck Keg Posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a used corny ball lock and both the posts are stuuuuck. This thing had soda in it forever so guessing it's glued on sugar. For my other corny and torpedo kegs I've just used a crescent wrench or vice grip and it was fine but I am getting nowhere with these posts. I've also tried soaking it in PBW and hot tap water.

I've read a few old threads about this and they all suggested using an impact driver (?, I don't know squat about tools apparently cuz I don't know what that is), or a wrench with a super long handle for more leverage.

Are there any options besides that to get off stuck posts? Can I run pbw and sanitizer through the lines and use anyway without taking apart the posts? It holds pressure fine.

I know I could buy some tools but I have just the one keg that is stuck and the tools cost more than the keg ($25). I'm pretty close to just selling it again on craigslist. Does a deep socket or ratchet wrench actually work for getting these bloody things off?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Recommend you take it apart, used keg and all. Who knows what it has held or where it has been,....I'd replace the main seal, 0 rings, both on posts and in dip & gas tubes, and perhaps replace poppets as well (or the mini o rings on them, if you can find).

Mostly they use 13/16ths. A big open end wrench will usually do it, don't' damage pins on posts though. They even sell deep sockets with slots cut out for the pins, if you can not do that yourself, but a well placed wrench has always worked for me.

A wrench and hammer should break it loose. Failing that, a socket and impact wrench will make short work of it. You can probably rent one from an auto parts store. If you don’t have an air compressor, they may have an electric.

If you have a piece of pipe you can slip over the handle of your wrench to extend the handle that would work too. I just had to do just that with a piece of PVC pipe just the other day actually and it worked like magic. I'd use metal pipe of you have it or need to buy some though for the extra stability, I just happened to have PVC laying around

HOlding the keg from twisting is the hardest part, but yeah, you really need to disassemble especially if there's gunk holding it on.

Here are the pics showing how I gained leverage on the keg so I could remove a stuck post:

kegleverage.jpg kegleverage2.jpg

I did it on the garage floor, but if I had one today I'd lay down a rug or towel first.

How did you do the PBW soak? I've had this issue and here's what I did. Fill the keg half way with water way hotter than you can get from your tap. I've used close to boiling water. Add a healthy scoop of Oxy. Keep the lid off. Place a bucket over the top and carefully flip the whole thing upside down so that the posts are now soaking in the hot oxy solution. Leave it overnight. The posts should come off in the morning

A deep socket, a ratchet, and a hammer. That's all you need, and some muscles.

Full disclosure- I'm old, female, and 135 pounds soaking wet with no muscles. But I can do it, so I think just about anybody else in the world could do it, if they had two hands.

I've never found one I couldn't open, except once. apparently someone had a leaky keg so they welded/soldered the post on. That one was really a surprise!

I was going to say deep socket and an impact driver... Just go get an impact driver anyway, they are useful for all kinds of stuff. It will stick or unstick way harder than any keg post.

I ended up buying a dedicated 7/8" wrench for mine though; it is regular crescent on one side and has has a ratcheting ring on the other. I use the ratcheting side. Is very easy and gives plenty of leverage for normal tightening or loosening of the posts.

Back