Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flaviking

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am having some issues with a moose knuckle clone.

11988653_10101244609863985_3037021612160305092_n.jpg

I mashed at 160 and hit my OG a little low 1.053

I then aerated and pitched the Vermont Ale liquid yeast vial after stepping up a starter to two liters.

http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/vermont-ale

I fermented at 68 then after about 4 days I upped it to 72 and held it steady

After about 10 days I checked the gravity and it's sitting at 1.024. A full 9 points higher than the 1.013 the recipe calls for.

I have swirled the fermenter, two days ago I pitched a re-hydrated package of S-05 into the fermenter, nothing... still sitting at 1.024...

any ideas?

mashing at 160 is the reason. It's ok, as with a mash temp the FG will be high. That is what I'd expect with that mash temp. I'm on my phone, so sorry for the short reply.

So you think it's a typo in the recipe? Seemed odd when I read it.

I will say though, I'm doing this as part of a club experiment and another member got his all the way down to 1.014. Or so he says. I'll have to ask what he mashed at, he may have adjusted.

It's the mash temp. If you want to fix it, grab some amylase extract. Or, if you're like me, just mash a pound of something with good diastetic power at 140* for 15 minutes. Then toss that wort straight in (no boiling). Thatll give you the enzymes you need. I just did this to a porter that I accidentally started the mash af 162* and it's fixed my problem. Personally though, if it tastes good, that gravity is ok by me. Not preferred, but ok.

It's the mash temp. If you want to fix it, grab some amylase extract. Or, if you're like me, just mash a pound of something with good diastetic power at 140* for 15 minutes. Then toss that wort straight in (no boiling). Thatll give you the enzymes you need. I just did this to a porter that I accidentally started the mash af 162* and it's fixed my problem. Personally though, if it tastes good, that gravity is ok by me. Not preferred, but ok.

I wouldn't do a no-boil addition. Even if there is more diastatic power, adding it to the beer won't make the beer more fermentable, and there would be a very big infection risk from not boiling the new wort.

I think the beer is just done.

Adding some amylase would work, but then the beer might be too dry. I agree that if it tastes good, I'd leave it be.

What are you mashing with? If it's a RIMS and you know you're consistent, I'd be a little concerned. If it's a cooler mash tun, I'd be very concerned. If it's more of a BIAB thing under a gas burner, I'd say your mash temp wasn't accurate and was probably above 160. BTW, I have et to date fine a recipe that calls for 160 mash. Usually it is between 152 and 156. Maybe I just keep trying the same type of recipes though...

Yeah definitely seemed odd to me, but it is John Kimmich... Considering its a single malt, I am not really surprised it calls for a mash in the upper range, but I thought 160 was pretty crazy.

There is a debate going now, that maybe it was pitch rate? I did pitch a little low, about 300 billion for a 10.5 gallon batch.. Should have been more around 400 to 500 billion depending on the calculator you use.

Also weather may have played a role.. we don't turn on our heat down here.. so when this cold weather front (yes, you northerners can laugh) came through my fermenter dropped from 72-68. It's back up to 70 now..

I think I'm gonna dry hop and keg.. and it will just be what it will be.

What are you mashing with? If it's a RIMS and you know you're consistent, I'd be a little concerned. If it's a cooler mash tun, I'd be very concerned. If it's more of a BIAB thing under a gas burner, I'd say your mash temp wasn't accurate and was probably above 160. BTW, I have et to date fine a recipe that calls for 160 mash. Usually it is between 152 and 156. Maybe I just keep trying the same type of recipes though...

To answer your question.. I have a RIMS. I triple check the mash temp with three monitors as well...1) the PID PT100 RTD, 2) A calibrated hand held, and 3)My mash tun thermometer.

The only point where I think I may be off is in the actual RIMS tube.. my probe is a good 6-7 inches away from the element.. so it may be reading a little low... gonna remedy that before the next brew and make sure it is 100% dialed in.

Back