Stuck Fermentation in Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hi all,

Though I am not 100% sure yet, it is looking like I might have a stuck fermentation. One of the ways some people recommend restarting fermentation is to give the fermenter a swirl to kick the yeast back into suspension. While doing this is feasible with carboys, I have a stainless steel conical and swirling that will be nearly impossible (plus I have heard that the risks of introducing oxygen into the fermenter outweigh the benefits of swirling.) However, I was wondering if it would be feasible to kick the yeast back into suspension by using my carb stone to pump CO2 through my conical's bottom dump port. Thoughts?

I'd start by raising the temperature.
Then shake it. Then neutral wine yeast.

First step should most likely do it.

I'd start by raising the temperature.
Then shake it. Then neutral wine yeast.

First step should most likely do it.
I already raised the temp and that definitely helped get fermentation back into gear for a bit. However, it has slowed back down again and I still have some more fermentation to go. I can’t shake a stainless conical (as I mentioned) because it is too heavy so I am looking for another way to get the yeast back into suspension. Do you think I could do that by attaching my carb stone to the conical’s dump port and using it to pump CO2 through the bottom to kick the yeast up into suspension again?

I already raised the temp and that definitely helped get fermentation back into gear for a bit. However, it has slowed back down again and I still have some more fermentation to go. I can’t shake a stainless conical (as I mentioned) because it is too heavy so I am looking for another way to get the yeast back into suspension. Do you think I could do that by attaching my carb stone to the conical’s dump port and using it to pump CO2 through the bottom to kick the yeast up into suspension again?
This sounds like it should work to me, granted I don't have a conical & have never had to go about it this way, but getting the yeast back in suspension combined with raising your temp should speed things back up if theres not any other issues. I've been working on my own stuck fermentation the last two days and finally got it to drop about 7 points after doing so to mine.

What makes you think it's stuck? Have you taken gravity readings to verify it's short of your projected terminal gravity?

At the very least, pushing CO2 through the base of your conical to rouse the yeast won't hurt, and it very well might help; I often push CO2 through the base after dry-hopping to maximize hop contact, for example.

Another option if this doesn't work would be to introduce some fresh yeast (kräusening): make a starter with the same kind of yeast, then pitch it into your fermenter after ~24 hours when it's at peak activity.

Good luck!

What yeast did you use?

What was the grain bill?

What were the gravities?

Wine yeast should only be used for beers that stop fermenting due to a specific alcohol tolerance of the primary yeast. There are very few wine yeasts that can consume complex sugars in wort and there are very very few “neutral” wine yeasts.

Back