Stuck Fermentation Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveahol

Reaction score
I’ve got a possible stuck fermentation. I’m hoping someone can help confirm my diagnosis and suggest some remedial action.

On Monday I brewed an extract porter based off of John Palmers Porter recipe for extract and specialty grains. Everything went well during the boil and cooling. Aerated my water, added it to the cooled wort to top up to 5 gal, added yeast. I brewed Monday afternoon. Later that evening not much activity in the carboy. Tuesday morning there was a nice 2in Krausen, and a good steady bubbling from the blow off tube, and it was around 75F. When I came home Tuesday evening the krausen had dropped back to less than an inch and still at 75F, and still bubbling. By this morning (Wednesday) there is almost no krausen, temp dropped to about 70 and almost no bubbling?

I’m thinking the yeast stalled out? So soon? Is that possible?

Its only my 3rd brew (4th really, but I don’t count the first one. It was a canned beer kit and I followed the cans instructions…had to dump it!) This is the second time I’ve brewed this specific recipe. My last batch of this porter turned out real yummy. This batch I strayed a little from the recipe. 1) I added a little more finishing hops, and changed the variety of bettering hops to what I had on hand. 2)used a different brand of mineral water for the brew (not distilled though). 3) different yeast.

It seems the most likely culprit is the new yeast. First batch I used Wyeast American Ale yeast (as per JPs recipe) smack pack. This time I was only able to get dried yeast, Safbrew S33, in time for the brew. I used about 15g, and re-hydrated in about a cup of 35^C water before pitching. (no starter as JP seemed to suggest dried yeast are optimized for direct pitching).

Should I try and get more yeast and re-pitch? If I do that is it best to get the S-33 dry yeast again, or try to use a smack pack? Should I mix yeast like that?

TIA

The ONLY way to tell is with a hydrometer. At that temp ferments can go really fast. My guess is that it is done. For your next batch, try getting the temp down into the 60's, you will make a much cleaner beer.

OK, So i checked and the gravity went from 1.042 to 1.010. (1.042 OG is lower than what i was shooting for, but i know i ended up with less LME than i wanted so that makes sense) Fast little buggers! The last batch took over a week!

So sounds like this is not ideal. Whats the affect of this fast warm fermentation? Is there anything i can do to help at this point? Would a cooler/longer secondary fermentation do any good?

The warmer temperature will cause more fruity esters and some phenols to form. It just won't be quite as "clean" as it could be but it will still be drinkable. These compounds are formed during fermentation so there's nothing you can do to remove them at this point. Just let it sit in the primary for a couple of weeks and it will clean up a bit. For your next batch, if your ambient temperature is high, try using a swamp cooler. Just fill a large container full of water and put your fermenter in, then add frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temp down. A dairy thermometer works great for monitoring the temp. Cube coolers make ideal containers for this due to the insulation.

On some of my beer batches, the fermentation is EXTREMELY vigorous, and it has often finished in about 48 hours. Other batches, like my current Deception Cream Stout, is much slower. As has been noted, the ONLY way to determine if fermentation is finished is to do hydrometer readings. Kinda sounds like yours is done!

glenn514:mug:

Just let it sit in the primary for a couple of weeks and it will clean up a bit.

I was planning on dry hopping this batch. Should i leave it in the primary 2-3 weeks then rack to a secondary for dry hopping? should i rack earlier into a secondary and let it 'clean up' there?

I've never dry hopped so this is an experiment of sorts.

I was planning on dry hopping this batch. Should i leave it in the primary 2-3 weeks then rack to a secondary for dry hopping? should i rack earlier into a secondary and let it 'clean up' there?

I've never dry hopped so this is an experiment of sorts.

what i do is wait til the FG is stable, then when the beer starts to fall clear, rack to secondary onto the dry hops. but many people dry hop right in the primary, i have done that a few times, and it seems to work fine. still, you probably want to wait til the beer starts to drop clear before dry hopping.

Back